Yes, I'm just like that. I'll listen once and never again
34 47%
I don't have friends that record music
17 24%
No, I listen to the music my friends make all the time
21 29%
Voters: 72.
Page 1 of 2
I'm sure many of you, like me, have friends and acquaintances that record their own music, be it for their band or just solo/personal stuff. I'll always give it a listen and offer a critique when asked, but beyond that I almost never actually listen to the music for my own personal enjoyment. I can't put my finger on why, but I'm just not super interested in popping my friend's album on while I'm driving or relaxing on the computer. It's not even because I get bored or don't like the music, because I often think it's really good.

Does anyone else feel like this with their own friends' music? Am I an asshole for being like this?
Check out my band Disturbed
There's 2-4 bands in this town I enjoy. I probably wouldn't spend money on their releases, but I'd listen. So kinda.
If I knew them before they were in the band, no. If I know them because of the band yes.
i still listen to blake's stuff all the time, as well his friend's band. none of my friends irl have bands tho
i don't know why i feel so dry
Most of the people I know play an instrument. I think everyone is doing a good job at making the music they wana make but I don't really care for any of it. It's not bad but I am very picky with my musical tastes. I dobt my friends listen to my music.
i'm picky enough with successful, established bands, so i don't feel bad about not listening to peers' music.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I listen to Foreign Bodies, and also a couple of noise projects here or there, but it's mostly jam nights.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
only if it has latvian bass fiddle in it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Eastwinn
i still listen to blake's stuff all the time, as well his friend's band. none of my friends irl have bands tho

this exactly

My brother writes stuff for his films, but that's not the same
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Do I listen to my friends' music? No. Do I feel like an asshole? mmmm a little.

The big question is- Do they listen to yours?

For me, pretty sure they don't. Do I think they're assholes for it? No.
I voted that I don't have any friends that record music, but that was a lie I realized after I voted. The correct answer is I do have friends that record, but I don't listen to them.

One of them is a multi-instrumentalist with incredible talent, but insists on playing Christian Rock. I think he'd be useful elsewhere, but if it makes him happy what can I say.

Another one has like an indie-type band that I'm just really not into.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by lolmnt
only if it has latvian bass fiddle in it.

You, too?!
Check out my band Disturbed
Funny you should ask this the day after I downloaded my friend's debut studio album. Not only did I listen to the whole thing, but I genuinely think it's phenomenal.

I try not to let friend status skew my impressions. I can't bring myself to listen to music that I don't find absolutely good. I've never even listened to the band albums that I was a part of.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 2, 2014,
Depends if it sucks.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Nope. One or two pieces from UGers and friends, but in general, not really. It's not that I don't appreciate the hard work that's gone into it, it's just that music is a background past time for me that I can't bring myself to care about anymore and listening to something made by somebody you know you have to pay attention to it so you catch something specific and then lie about liking that so it seems like you enjoyed the whole thing and won't drive your friends into depression. Unless they're composers and not a punk ska outfit, I'm likely to pass.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Funny you should ask this the day after I downloaded my friend's debut studio album. Not only did I listen to the whole thing, but I genuinely think it's phenomenal.

Did you pirate it?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

Did you pirate it?

Nope. Got an advanced download. I contributed to his Kickstarter a year ago for the making of this album. I took one preview listen on the proposal video he made and knew in 20 seconds that this guy was the real deal and on his way to make something amazing.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by willT08
Are you gonna tell us who it is then?

nope

Plus you'd hate it. It's real instrument music And modern jazz to boot.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Nope. Got an advanced download. I contributed to his Kickstarter a year ago for the making of this album. I took one preview listen on the proposal video he made and knew in 20 seconds that this guy was the real deal and on his way to make something amazing.

Can you give us a link? I don't think I've ever listened to music you like and you're a tough critic
All the time. I only usually befriend people in bands if I actually like the band's music.

I don't want to hang out with bands I think suck
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Can you give us a link? I don't think I've ever listened to music you like and you're a tough critic

I wanna share his music so badly but I think he's keeping things very private still.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I listen to bansheebeat from time to time (met him in real life a couple of times).

Plus blake's music.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I wanna share his music so badly but I think he's keeping things very private still.

Whats your favourite chord progression of all time?
no but thats because i dont listen to the type of music my freinds make
I-IV-V blues rock
or generic alternative rock which often sounds like the strokes
both of which focus more on lyrics than the music

theyre cool people but for the love of god they make boring music

edit:
i forgot about the ska and punk pands around here
those are pretty cool but the production value of their recording are horrid
Last edited by supersac at Mar 2, 2014,
The band that got us out there and to bigger shows, opened up for Michale Graves at a bar show everyone in the band went to. We were working on getting in well with the people who ran the shows at the bar. The band was good, very Rob Zombie-esque. VERY. VERY. So we're playing a show at some tiny bar to a few friends that we all go to school with. The lead singer for zombie band was promoting another show they were playing. He came into town to sell some of the guys some tickets and t shirts and CD's and shit. Loved us. Half of our set at that point was Misfits covers and he loved it. He started having us open for them. First show we did with them, their guitarist was too drunk to play a full set and their set sucked shit. After that second show their stuff started sounding really generic and not very exciting. Also, after having played my own set and being the main roadie/tech for the band, I was usually too tired to enjoy their noise, because god damn were they loud.
None of my friends in real life make music.
Most of my friends don't really listen or pay attention to my music, but I'm not one to really ask them to anyways. One girl that I am friends with has me on her ipod and she tells me she shows a lot of people at her school my music and they dig it so that is p cool.
I have a few friends who record stuff/are in bands. I listen to their LP's EP's Demos and Albums and singles, and I have to say that I usually will tell them "good stuff, man" and give em a pat on the back or whatever, but I don't really listen to it for enjoyment. It's like, whenever I listen to their music for the first time I just imagine them playing their instruments or singing it the WHOLE TIME. So it's a little awkward to me if I actually like my friends music and listen to it regularly.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I don't listen to any of my friends' music, though I don't think any of them have more than 2 or 3 songs recorded and posted online. I would feel bad about not trying to genuinely enjoy it and talk about it and spread it to other people, but I seriously can't get people I know to even listen to my music once give an opinion. My family members that listened to me practice for most of a decade won't listen now that I actually record music. My friends that used to be in bands with me won't listen to it. I even kept guitar players from high school added on Facebook just because they all used to praise me as some kind of guitar god, and I knew I would one day actually record my music. I've played my music for small groups of friends who have brought up the fact that I play guitar to other friends and had them all immediately disregard it and change topics before the first note starts. Put that on top of the fact that the forums here for sharing your own work are dead, and the fact that the only people that stumble upon your music on Soundcloud are shitty djs trying to spread their own work, and I'm basically doing this one hundred percent for myself. It's pretty discouraging to be honest.
I only know like two people in bands but I actually like the music so, yeah sometimes
"I am alone. Goddamn. That shit hurts sometimes, but I realize what I am, what I have become. The alien man waved his arms up and down and noticed that he couldn't wave in the right language so he stopped."
Page 1 of 2