hey guys i use a 5150 with a marshall mf280 cab v30s maxon od bbe, and a schecter atx
im happy with it but i need something to haul around for easier transportation
im tossed between both cabs i play melodic hardcore and some cleans (5150 not know for cleans i know haah)

orange 2x12 $380 used

mesa 2x12 recto- $420

i cant play both please help me decide
I own the mesa. Great cab, but at those prices I'd go for the orange. They are pretty damn similar spec wise
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
As long as the Orange is closed back, I would go with it simply because it's cheaper. They're extremely close in sound and quality
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I have the Orange 212. It's a great cab. I'm sure the Mesa is built as great as the Orange. If you had a Mesa or Orange head I'd say get the one that matches. But since you don't I'd go for the lowest price one. So Orange for me.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 2, 2014,
I've owned both and I liked them a lot. I think I preferred the Mesa when I was running my 5150. Though both would be great. You should also consider the Orange will probably be 16 ohms and the Mesa will be 8 ohms. If they are stock anyways.
So I'd leave it to which ever impedance you need/want more.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
I've owned both and I liked them a lot. I think I preferred the Mesa when I was running my 5150. Though both would be great. You should also consider the Orange will probably be 16 ohms and the Mesa will be 8 ohms. If they are stock anyways.

It's been awhile since I had a Mesa cab but don't some of them have 70 watt modifed V30s that are labeled Black Shadows? I've always heard people say they are a bit smoother. I've never compared them though.
Mesa cabs usually have V30s, Orange cabs usually have G12H30s. The G12H30 is a bit more expensive and a little smoother imo. V30s handle more power and sound more "in your face."

Pick your poison.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Mesa cabs usually have V30s, Orange cabs usually have G12H30s. The G12H30 is a bit more expensive and a little smoother imo. V30s handle more power and sound more "in your face."

Pick your poison.

The standard closed back Orange PPC212 comes with V30s, man.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt

+1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by cheesefries
It's been awhile since I had a Mesa cab but don't some of them have 70 watt modifed V30s that are labeled Black Shadows? I've always heard people say they are a bit smoother. I've never compared them though.

All V30s are 70W, they just started printing 60W in the late 90s to be a bit more conservative. They are smoother though. Less presence range and a slightly dialed back upper mid spike.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
All V30s are 70W, they just started printing 60W in the late 90s to be a bit more conservative. They are smoother though. Less presence range and a slightly dialed back upper mid spike.

cool. I just did some reading and it looks like the black shadows are 90 watts and the v30s 70 watts. I'm sure Mesa tweaked it a bit... just haven't found exactly what they changed.
Pretty sure Mesa has thrown the Black Shadow labeling on several speakers. The 90W are modified CL80s, IIRC. Then there's the rebadged EVMs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

^ yep Black Shadows were either EV's or now the CL80's

Their V30's are also different from any other V30 any company uses, they are made to the original 1980's V30 spec and they are the only V30 that is still made in England (last I checked)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Marshall's V30 is also made in England, and is actually the original spec, IIRC. Mesa's was the original non-OEM spec.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Marshall's V30 is also made in England, and is actually the original spec, IIRC. Mesa's was the original non-OEM spec.

Yeah your right, is it the V30L that marshal has or is it another version? I wanna say it is the V30L that was in the MF280 cabs, but I'm not sure.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ yep Black Shadows were either EV's or now the CL80's

Their V30's are also different from any other V30 any company uses, they are made to the original 1980's V30 spec and they are the only V30 that is still made in England (last I checked)

I have 4 orange cabs newer than 2012 and just bought my last one Jan this year. All V30s. All Ipswitch England.

I do know though that the PPC112 and PPC212 open back cabinets that are Made In China have Chinese Vintage 30s though.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 3, 2014,