Today I was messing around with running two heads stereo into one 4x12 cab. With an ABY pedal.

It'd be sweet if I can pull it off live with what I plan to do.

A - Mesa Distortion

B - Marshall-boss will be an array of cleans/weird effects.

The problem being i would like to use A, B and Y. With A and B I would have to mic 2 different speakers as each head powers 2 speakers.
But if I wanted to use both heads at the same time id go to double volume through both mics.

One solution would be lower my overall volume on the guitar but I can't do that since one head is primarily distortion/overdrive and you lose all tone that way.

So how do I run that while keeping A, B and Y a good equal level?
Radial Headbone.

That's not what's at play here, though. If I'm understanding correctly the idea is to run one head into one input on a stereo cab, and the other to the other stereo input. Provided the power handling is satisfactory and the impedances are matched, that's perfectly fine. Using the A/B/Y box between the guitar and the amp's input won't be a problem. It's only when you're trying to use the ABY between the amp and cab, or you're trying to have two amps into one input that's a problem.

Anyway, to the volume issue. I think that you'll find that two amps doesn't really sound twice as loud, louder certainly but you might be able to get away with it if you set them both a bit on the quiet side and then just split the difference. Otherwise, yeah, you're going to have to make some other adjustment like using a pedal or switching amp channels to adjust your volume level. There's not much more to it.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
One solution would be lower my overall volume on the guitar but I can't do that since one head is primarily distortion/overdrive and you lose all tone that way.

So how do I run that while keeping A, B and Y a good equal level?

the simple answer is that you can't run the 'Y' configuration at the same volume as the 'A' or 'B' configuration, Y will always be louder.

the complex solution is to run some sort of complicated routing system that will include some sorta device that will either boost the volume when just A or B is selected or pad the volume when Y is selected.

Quote by Flux'D
The way you're wanting to do this is terrible, and has very high potential to blow the Output Transformer on one of your amps. You should always have a load (speaker) hooked up to a tube amp when it's on.

There's a special pedal they make just for this purpose, but they're rather pricey IIRC. I can't remember who makes it though, I'm sure another regular UG'er will chime in

sounds to me like both amps are plugged into the same stereo cab, so each head should be seeing a load (quote: "each head powers 2 speakers."). also sounds to me as though he is using the A/B/Y before the amp input and not after the speaker outputs, so i see nothing wrong here.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

I should've read the entire post. You'll be fine running the ABY box between the guitar and amps. I deleted my post, Colin you might wanna edit yours to follow
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 2, 2014,