Hey guys I was thinking about buying this amp and had a few questions

Is it loud enough to gig in small venues?
How early until it breaks up?
Should I buy an EQ pedal for it?
Is the overdrive any good?
Does it sound good thru my gibson Les Paul?
Good for classic rock(Led Zep, Cream) and or 90s rock(Radiohead, Weezer)?
Vs Fender 65 Deluxe reverb reissue?

Thanks in advance
Any further questions, ask away
Is it loud enough to gig in small venues? Yes. When I gigged mine I set it on 15 watts and the volume was never past 5.

How early until it breaks up?
Clean channel breaks up when you get it a bit over 1/2 way up. If you are playing rock/metal music with a loud drummer you'll have a bit of hair to your cleans when you are just loud enough to match him (stage volume). The clean channel cranked I think is the best tone in the amp. This amp loves overdrives. For some reason this amp seems to hate distortion pedals. I tried a bunch just to have another distortion sound for some versatility but I couldn't find one that didn't get fizzy.

Should I buy an EQ pedal for it? Yes! Without one you just have 2 settings on your shape knob. 10:00 for vintagey tones. 2:00 for hard rock. On 10 it's just too scooped to cut through and on 1 it just sounds very... "odd". The usable range is from 10:00 to 3:00.

Is the overdrive any good? Overdrive is good for modern rock and heavy metal. It has a ton of gain. It's not so great playing classic oldies. Too modern and high gain.

Does it sound good thru my gibson Les Paul? Yes. The TH30 is a dark amp so with a dark guitar you'll have to choose your speakers carefully. The V30s loaded Orange cabs are a good match.

Good for classic rock(Led Zep, Cream) and or 90s rock(Radiohead, Weezer)? It's OK for them but not great. It's a good enough amp where it wont sound terrible but it's not going to come close trying to cop vintage Marshall tones. 90s rock it'll do just fine.

Vs Fender 65 Deluxe reverb reissue? This would be a much better amp for Led Zep, Cream, 60s/70s rock. If you want vintage tones get this. Modern high gain get the TH30.
Last edited by cheesefries at Mar 2, 2014,
Completely unrelated amps. Maybe try listening to demos, but the best way is to play it if you can.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
If you want classic rock and 90's alternative from an Orange around $900-1000, I'd recommend the AD30. That thing nails Jimmy Page's tone (he currently uses the single channel model, I believe). I'd agree that the TH30 is probably more modern sounding than you'd want. The only problem is that it doesn't have an effects loop, but it takes modulation pretty well up front.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Ya, if there's no snow in the roads I'll go demo probably all 3 amps if I can. Thanks for helping out
Cheesefries hits the nail on the head for the TH30. I've had mine since Summer 2011 and completely agree with his post. Also, barden1069 is incorrect on the fact that it doesn't have an effects loop. I use my effects loop for chorus, phaser, echo pedals and they work awesome in the FX loop of the TH30.
Gear:

Jackson DK2 Trans Blue

Started playing May 2010...
I like the amp a lot. Great drive, like a looser HR Marshall with less mids and more low end. The cleans are excellent too, very spongey and clean. I didn't get a chance to push the clean channel too hard but it seemed to have a lot of headroom for a 30 watt head. It's too pricey for me, but if you have the coin then get it. Try a JCA50 head too, cheap but a great drive chan. It's not too different.
Quote by ttweedle
Cheesefries hits the nail on the head for the TH30. I've had mine since Summer 2011 and completely agree with his post. Also, barden1069 is incorrect on the fact that it doesn't have an effects loop. I use my effects loop for chorus, phaser, echo pedals and they work awesome in the FX loop of the TH30.

My bad, I was trying to say the AD30 doesn't have an effects loop but I didn't phrase it very well
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"