https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3WnqYzca9c

This is my band Soulstyce performing our spin on Black Sabbath's Paranoid. Any and all criticism is welcome as we put a lot of effort into modernizing this song while doing our best not to butcher it. I hope you enjoy and C4C as well!

As you may or may not be able to tell, this is how we end our shows so that's the explanation for the extended ending.
Last edited by bk2421 at Mar 2, 2014,
Having seen so many cover bands and bar bands, and played in them myself, I've grown tired of hearing the same old, typical bar band set list. That said, the amount of energy your band put into this cover, the incorporation of an extended solo and outro, the spot on playing, and excellent tone, made this enjoyable to watch from start to finish. It came across as a professional performance.

I had hoped to see the bassist given some spotlight, and was happy that he was, but in my opinion he needs to get into the groove a little more. He seems as if he's uncomfortable with a bass guitar, as if it's not his main instrument, or that he simply isn't feeling the music. Not to say anything about his playing itself, as he was in time and the notes were right, and he was nestled perfectly in the mix, not too high or too low. But I could tell his energy wasn't at the same level as the rest of the band.

As a modernized take on Paranoid, I might say that Paranoid is already a modernized song. It's widely popular to this day and fits in nicely with the rest of popular rock. It's a song with no need for innovation, just a need to be played right with a lot of energy, and you guys pulled it off.

Good job.
Hey, just gave your cover a listen, i really like the energy/enthusiasm you guys have, it was done properly and improvised in a good way that you kind of showed your own band's color into it which is a + .

I don't have any criticisms on the playing or the cover, however i would recommend both guitarist get some sort of boost pedal, many of the times when the guitars were meant to be emphasized i couldn't hear much of it, for example at the place where the vocalist was tapping.

Good job, liked it!

c4c when you get a chance? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1635934

Thanks!
Quote by Mud Martian
I had hoped to see the bassist given some spotlight, and was happy that he was, but in my opinion he needs to get into the groove a little more. He seems as if he's uncomfortable with a bass guitar, as if it's not his main instrument, or that he simply isn't feeling the music. Not to say anything about his playing itself, as he was in time and the notes were right, and he was nestled perfectly in the mix, not too high or too low. But I could tell his energy wasn't at the same level as the rest of the band.

Probably should have noted this was his first performance with us. We had kicked out our original bassist and he was the replacement and had 2 weeks to learn all of our set. Since then he's gotten in the groove with the band Thank you for the kind words
A boost pedal would do you guys wonders, although I acknowledge that it's hard to hear the mix through a camera like this. The vocals were pretty spot on, tight rhythm section was tight, the playing was clean. I would suggest working a tad bit more on stage presence and to cut down on the smoke. It's cool for atmosphere, but I felt like there was too much. As far as the extended solos, I think it's cool, but it's a tad long for an audience if you're also doing an outro with introductions. Guitarists an musicians love hearing people play, but from what I've experienced, the average bar band doesn't care that you can shred like Steve Vai. That being said, I thought it was great, but musicians aren't your primary audience.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32414119#post32414119
meh
I think that I will just 'fit in' the trend saying that even though there are tons of covers (especially of BS) this one was really awesome. When I've seen the title for the first time I thought...oh gosh? Seriously, you are going to play that again? But the energy you have when on stage, the solos, the groove, the atmosphere that you've created gave a nice feel to the song.
If I were to give it a one 'label' I would say that it is a "refreshing cover". Thanks for refreshing my day!
Should you be interested in my playing, I've posted some on the forum today. Rock on!

Kind Regards