This will be my first electric guitar. Looking for something relatively cheap but that I*won't be able to "outgrow" before some time.
Also, other quick questions:
Is there a difference between the classic vibe 50 and 60 other than the fretboard wood (maple vs rosewood)?
I heard that the telecaster is not a good beginner guitar because it is chunkier and harder to play than other guitars, is it also true for the classic vibe telecaster?
Thank you.
In terms of build quality, both the Yamaha Pacificas and the Squier Classic Vibe series guitars are really good.

As it will be your first guitar, the first choosing criteria should be feeling.
Try the Pacifica, a Stratocaster and a Tele, for example, and choose the one that feels better, more comfortable.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
In terms of build quality i'd put squier classic vibes above pacifica's but with the humbucker you have way more tonal versatility even if overall the sound will be worse with the pacifica. If it was me i'd be thinking more down the line, getting the squier and then when I can ,putting a single coil sized humbucker like a SD JB junior in the bridge. But if you never want to play metal or hard rock you should be okay with just single coil.
Actually, you can play any genre with any type of guitar. Take for example an Epiphone Dot, it can handle blues, jazz, metal, and rock. The only difference is the sound. Take the sound into account first. Single coils are bright while humbuckers are usually crunchy. A strat can handle metal psssh, what's NikZM talking about? Malmsteen can do it...but if you are looking at those guitars, I'd get the classic vibe. But if you are willing to spend that type of money, why don't you try an Epiphone Les Paul 100? It's just $268 and it is one heck of a guitar. I tried it in a music shop and it was great! I'm saving up for one right now. And for tone, it all depends on what effects and amps you are using.
Quote by sam113101
This will be my first electric guitar. Looking for something relatively cheap but that I*won't be able to "outgrow" before some time.
Also, other quick questions:
(a) Is there a difference between the classic vibe 50 and 60 other than the fretboard wood (maple vs rosewood)?
(b) I heard that the telecaster is not a good beginner guitar because it is chunkier and harder to play than other guitars, is it also true for the classic vibe telecaster?
Thank you.

(a) I haven't tried them but I think they might have different pickups? I think I've heard that (could be wrong).

(b) I dunno about that. It's a wee bit chunkier as it doesn't have any body contouring, but it's not a massive difference. it's one of those things, you'd need to hold one to see if it pokes you or not.

if it does annoy you i'd assume a classic vibe version would too.

Quote by Hence My Name
Actually, you can play any genre with any type of guitar. Take for example an Epiphone Dot, it can handle blues, jazz, metal, and rock. The only difference is the sound.

i dunno. you can, but that's a bit like saying you can run in any shoes. if you're going to be running the 100 metres you still buy running shoes.

i'd say the pacifica would be better if he plans on playing any heavier stuff. I haven't tried the classic vibes so I dunno how their quality compares (it may well be better, I dunno), but in terms of suitability of sound, if you play heavier stuff, the pacifica is the better choice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 3, 2014,
i would say the classic vibe, but either will get you started just fine.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Other quick questions:
I have seen some pickups that are magnet stripes/lines instead of individual magnets. What are these?
What does it mean to have your guitar set up? video
Can I*ask the shop I*buy it from to do that? Does it cost anything?
Last edited by sam113101 at Mar 3, 2014,
David_mC: Yeah, I get what you are saying. I just wanted to disprove that whole "you need this guitar to play this genre" cuz a guitar is a guitar. If you have the skills, you can do it. You can play metal with a tele if you want, it might be harder but it's doable.( just sand the neck)

Those magnet stripe pickups have high outputs. They are called split-rail pickups. They are also pretty good pickups, better than traditional single coil pickups in my opinion. But honestly, they are expensive. To have your guitar set-up means to check for intonation, neck bend, fret buzz, etc... to make sure it is playable. To have your guitar set up usually depends on the seller. Be sure to ask them about it because it usually cost extra. Oh, and make sure you buy a case please...
I'm pissed. I*had written a long text, but lost it because I*wanted to quote someone and it just deleted everything.
Anyway, I'm going to try both at the store, that's for sure, but I*want to anticipate things, you know. The classic vibe seems to have a better clean sound than the pacifica, which is more important to me than being able to play "heavy" music. Right now I listen to some metal, old bands like Black Sabbath, Ratt and Iron Maiden, but they don't sound heavy to me. Some bands play really fast and with lots of distortion, but that's not my thing right now. My tastes could change, and if they do, I think I might end up doing something like this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-57EN4lzTX1o/T3dK8nVvkLI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/RJZ-tP_W8IY/s1600/DSC01112.JPG

This would give me the versatility of the pacifica, keeping the good clean sound of the classic vibe, right? If so, then it sounds like a good plan. I'm going to try both at the shop. I*also need to figure out if the finished neck of the classic vibe will be a problem with my sweaty hands…

>Oh, and make sure you buy a case please...
Why? I*don't intend to get it out of the house… you know, just playing by myself in my room when I*feel like it. What I*will buy, though, is a stand. My acoustic guitar currently is in the corner of my room and that's how I*store it. Not optimal, and it probably won't be possible with the electric guitar as the body is slimmer and smaller. Also, I*think I'm going to buy a strap. Aaaaaand an amplifier, and some pedals, etc. Lol, I*will probably end up spending more than I*had expected.

By the way, do you guys like electronics? Do you ever build your own guitar effects? I*think I'm going to do that, sounds like a lot of fun.
Oh ok, I thought you would bring it to places (I busk when I'm bored). A case is better because it prevents your guitar from being covered in dust and whatnot. But yea, you do not have to buy one. Just make make sure to clean it and do maintenance! xD In my area, the temperature tends to fluctuate and so, my acoustic gets messed up. But if you have no problem, then alright.
Quote by Hence My Name
David_mC: Yeah, I get what you are saying. I just wanted to disprove that whole "you need this guitar to play this genre" cuz a guitar is a guitar. If you have the skills, you can do it. You can play metal with a tele if you want, it might be harder but it's doable.( just sand the neck)

I don't really see the point in making things hard on yourself for the sake of it. I have a bunch of guitars and I find it easiest to play stuff on suitable guitars...

I mean a guitar is a guitar, sure, but that's a bit like saying a car is a car. I'm gonna take an F1 car for racing over a family hatchback. Same thing with guitars, their specs are often different enough that it can make quite a big difference.

yeah those dual rail type pickups tend to be higher output. Just stick with the stock pickups, for what you said you wanted they'd likely be fine.

If you're not leaving the house you don't need a case. A stand would likely be more use. Ah you already mentioned a stand, i should've read your post better.

A decent shop should really offer to set up the guitar if you buy it, but it depends on the shop, the price of the instrument (and how good their prices are) etc.

EDIT: oh yeah the 50s and 60s do seem to have different pickups, I checked. the 50s have alnico III pickups and the 60s alnico V. Everything else being equal (which might not be the case ), the 60s ones will have a bit more power.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 4, 2014,
Dave: alright, fair enough. I'm speaking through experience since I don't have a bunch of guitars. Just a strat, an acoustic, and a uke. So I'm saying you don't have to buy a lot of guitars, but buying different types is certainly gonna make everything easier for you I agree. I'm not saying you have to make it hard to yourself on purpose, it's certainly gonna be hard, but it's doable. So if you have money (I'm broke as heck man) then go ahead and buy some different types of guitars.
Sorry to hear that

That's not really what I meant, I didn't mean you had to have loads of guitars, just that if you play a wide range of stuff and you're gonna have one it makes sense to get something versatile.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why just go for the pacifica or squire? If you are just starting playing try to test one of the Aria series strats, I have an STG 4 (SSH with coil tap) and in all honesty this guitar brought me back to the strat-shape after many years of hating it due to having been bought a strat years ago which was really awful......The STG series are well made for the price, versatile and are a good entry level guitar, sound decent for a good price point (I have an EPI LP custom and Aria STG 4 ,the STG in my mind plays better ), plus the one I have actually stays in tune and plays well right out of the box
Squiers are by far the best guitars in their price range. They're a steal.
Quote by reverb66
Squiers are by far the best guitars in their price range. They're a steal.

Er, not so my friend, all depends on your taste and the actual guitar......I have seen some nice squires, HOWEVER, my Aria has better build quality, playability AND versatility (HSS with coil tap).....
I played/play metal on my Tele all the time. For the band's listed, it'll have no problem at all. Do I prefer it for metal to my PRS or Agile? No, but it's fine. The difference between the 50s and 60s might be in the neck profile and pickups, but I could be wrong.
My choice would probably be a classic vibe tele or strat but it all depends what your playing. Yamaha will have decent quality in the low range but the CV are way easier to resell and hold better value.

The classic vibe has a rep as being a quality beginner guitar, Pacifica is just a beginner guitar.
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Mar 8, 2014,
^ i thought the pacifica 112 had the rep of being a quality beginner guitar

I suppose it depends on the location, but in Europe the classic vibe prices are high enough these days that I'd say they're above the beginner price bracket now (barring coming across a good deal). They're normally over £300 now, and to me that's into lower intermediate territory (plus for that kind of money there are other things which are worth considering too, you're not really comparing like with like any more... there are dearer pacificas too, for example).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i thought the pacifica 112 had the rep of being a quality beginner guitar

I suppose it depends on the location, but in Europe the classic vibe prices are high enough these days that I'd say they're above the beginner price bracket now (barring coming across a good deal). They're normally over £300 now, and to me that's into lower intermediate territory (plus for that kind of money there are other things which are worth considering too, you're not really comparing like with like any more... there are dearer pacificas too, for example).

I'd get a pacifica before a bullet or affinity but not the Classic vibe.

i mean it is a quality guitar but here people compare CV to mexi's some idiots think the CV are better than MIA standards

maybe I'm just being biased here because i like fender products, but i think it is a better guitar than the yamaha.

The CV series deff has better pickups. the Pacifica 112 and the CV series are actually made very well, I'd take the CV because of pickups
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by lbc_sublime
I'd get a pacifica before a bullet or affinity but not the Classic vibe.

i mean it is a quality guitar but here people compare CV to mexi's some idiots think the CV are better than MIA standards

maybe I'm just being biased here because i like fender products, but i think it is a better guitar than the yamaha.

I never said it wasn't, I haven't tried it.

I merely made the observation that it's at a totally different (ok, not totally different, but certainly the next one up) price bracket so that's hardly surprising. There may well be guitars in that next price bracket (there are in europe) which are better than the classic vibe.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I never said it wasn't, I haven't tried it.

I merely made the observation that it's at a totally different (ok, not totally different, but certainly the next one up) price bracket so that's hardly surprising. There may well be guitars in that next price bracket (there are in europe) which are better than the classic vibe.

Yeah no worries like I said I might have a bias anyways.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?