So, a buddy invited me to start a band with him. We don't have a drummer lined up yet, we have all met up at a pub to meet each other and jammed once.

What I like about the band is that my buddy is a really talented guitar player. He has been at it for 12 years and, as someone who regularly goes to see local bands at venues, he can play circles around them. Also, our female vocalist is ridiculously hot. I mean...she's-gonna-be-on-the-cover-of-every-second-music-magazine-if-we-magically-get-big-overnight hot. From a band image point of view, this can do nothing but help. Also, she is a genuinely good singer. She has been taking singing lessons since she was young, she has a very good tone on her voice and good control over it, plus her vocal coach taught her proper mic technique.

What I dislike though, is that said guitarist and vocalist are dating. Also, the guitarist (I've known him for almost 4 years, we meet up and jam regularly) is REALLY into heavy metal. His biggest influence I would say is Lamb of God, and similar type of bands. Chugging, fast solos, riffing. I'm into this stuff as well and I really like LoG, hell I can play their latest album through and through save for one solo, but this isn't gonna work. The vocalist says she likes LoG and Meshuggah and so on, but I can't help but wonder if she's doing it for my friend's sake. I've told my buddy that we should think of doing something along the lines of Alter Bridge. It's very good music, plus the vocalist's natural singing style will fit it perfectly, but he just shrugged it off as a bad suggestion. He wants to do insane riffing with dual solos and so on and has pretty much taken charge.

Way I see it, most of you would reply with something along the lines of

a)"Dude, tell your buddy to stop making the band br00talz and write music to accommodate your talented singer"

b)"Lead guitarist and vocalist are dating? I give your half-baked little band 3 months max before they get into a fight and break up. You might as well quit while you're ahead"

or c) "She can totally sound like Randy Blythe brah, just takes a bit of practice"

So, what do you guys think? Go ahead with the band or bail on it?
She should learn how to scream, there are some brutal bands with female singers (Arch Enemy and Walls of Jericho come to mind). Also, you can still do heavy stuff with double guitar solos, something along the lines of Halestorm. They seem to be really popular nowdays.

As for the dating thing goes, how long have they been together? Because if they break up, yeah, it will suck and the band will probably go to shit. Also, if they are constatantly all touchy feely with eachother, that will be annoying as hell for you, especially if its just the three of you for a while.

Honestly tho, i would give it a shot, since its really hard to find talented and skilled members, and from what you are describing, you have pretty much hit the jackpot, at least skill wise. It took me 6 years to find just 3 skilled members, and even now we still havent found a good vocalist. If it falls appart, well, then it falls appart. If the guy is really a good friend, then it shouldnt be a problem. Just make sure not to get a crush on the singer, since she is so amazingly hot. Better yet, post some pictures of her so we can decide for ourselves! That waay we can give the best advice.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
If you like the music you're making just roll with it. I couldn't figure out from you post whether you'd actually started writing music or not.

As for them dating eachother, it'll either work out or it won't. Worry about that issue when it's actually an issue.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
BAND RULES;

1. Don´t shit wear you eat
(leave your genitals out of the equaiton...screwing is for groupies)
2. Do not involve familly or girlfriends
(just ask the beatles how they felt about Yoko)
3. Don´t talk shit about band members behind their backs
(especially with other band members)
5. Respect your bandmates as you would a co-worker
(do not expect to befriend every bandmate, just cause you have the same interests doesn´t mean the bas player won´t turn out to be a dick....but if you keep it professional to begin with than you have some solid ground to build on)

....but then there is the issue of you not really having a choice since he´s defiled her already...I´d say give it a try, and as for the style...that´ll usually work itself out, don´t get hung up on how and what....just give it a shot and see what makes magic.

...and whatever you do, when they do finally break up and you're the shoulder to cry on.....see rule #1
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
There's simply far too many dudes into riffing and shredding the brootals, so don't be afraid to lose that guy. Youecan replace that pretty easily. It's a lot, lot harder to find a hot, talented female vocalist, so hang onto that at all costs. Plus, if she breaks up with the guitarist, make sure you're there to try continue the band with her, and without him. Again, its easier to find good guitarists than hot talented female vocalists, so do whatever to keep her both interested in the band (ie her style) and playing to support her strengths (ie her preferred styles). Thats all assuming you want your band to have a few gigs and a few fans. If you want to endlessly shred away in a sweaty rehearsal room then thats pretty easily arranged, and you are guaranteed to not have hot, talented female vocalists in there. Just overweight hairy guys in black t shirts.
Last edited by innovine at Mar 3, 2014,
Alan's got a point, they haven't broken up yet, so I'll worry about it when/if it happens. They seem like a fairly well balanced couple as far as I can tell, only been dating for about 3 months so we'll see what happens. I've been in enough bands where the performances from band prac alone made me cringe and wallow in shame, let alone the gigs...who am I to turn down a few skilled members?

Thanks for the advice guys. I should just be more patient with these things I guess, I'm pretty sure we can work it out musically

...and whatever you do, when they do finally break up and you're the shoulder to cry on.....see rule #1

But...I...even if...
Okay Blackst4r
Quote by randomsaguy
Alan's got a point, they haven't broken up yet, so I'll worry about it when/if it happens. They seem like a fairly well balanced couple as far as I can tell, only been dating for about 3 months so we'll see what happens. I've been in enough bands where the performances from band prac alone made me cringe and wallow in shame, let alone the gigs...who am I to turn down a few skilled members?

Thanks for the advice guys. I should just be more patient with these things I guess, I'm pretty sure we can work it out musically

But...I...even if...
Okay Blackst4r

Forgot too mention that's just if your anygood.....if ya'll suck you might as well take her for a ride while you still have the chance.....cause you know she'll end up with another awesome guitarist sooner or later :-P
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
So what kind of music do you want to play? If you don't want to play br00tal music, ask the signer if she wants to play same kind of music as you. If not, leave the band. If yes, the guitarist has to go because he doesn't want to play that kind of music. But if you are OK with br00tal music and actually want to play it, I don't see a problem. You all want to play similar music. Though there's one problem and it's about dating. If they have only been dating for 3 months, it is likely that they may break up some time. And that will most likely destroy your band (though sometimes people remain friends after they have broken up - it depends, but I wouldn't count on that).

So your options are: Find a new singer, find a new guitarist or leave the band.

Also, do you need a hot female singer?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The reality is that it is their band, do you want to join them. You know they are a couple, what music they like and what they want to play. they know you and want you to join. they may break up and the band will split, they may manage to work together after a split or they may be together in 60 years time.

Being in any band means compromise even if you form the band yourself. If you can enjoy playing the music they like and they are doing all the work why not just join them. If it stops being fun move on to the next band. No band is ever going to be exactly what you want. No band lasts forever (Rolling Stones perhaps but they aren't inviting you )Are you turning down a better offer to join this project? You know exactly what is on offer here.

What's the worse thing that can happen?
I would have to say you are worrying about stuff probably a bit too early (one jam !). As per some of the other posts, give it some more time and jams to see how it goes. However, I would sit down an agree on an aim for the band. That is, you all need to sit down and agree on some goals, ie, play this style of music, aim for a particular gig to play at, agree on who else is needed. If you can all reach agreement on some aims/goals, then your off to a good start. And the other thing - spend more time jamming, and working on those goals. The come back after 5 more jams/practices and tell us how its going.