Looking at a few, which would be the best? Will be used for direct guitar and probably micing too eventually but nothing beyond like demos etc. Already use Ableton live 8 and might get reaper or maybe pro tools if it comes with one of the m-audio ones (??)

Steinberg CI1
M-Audio MobilePre Mk II (used)
M-Audio Fast Track Pro Interface (used)
Presonus Audiobox (used)
Tascam US100
Lexicon Alpha

All are roughly the same price, about ~$100-130 AUD. I don't really feel it's necessary to spend more than that, even if something like the 2i4 is a bit nicer (unless the difference is justifiable).
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Between these, the audiobox is the best if all still works, though if the demos have to sound good, get an onyx blackbird.
If the demos don't really have to sound that good, get the cheapest but skip the m-audio's.

If the m-audio's are used, you'll hardly get any pro tools with them, though you don't want to switch to pro tools because:
-that's not the full version of pro tools
-pro tools is a plain bad program, it's used because it's designed to work with big and HQ integrated systems and for a long time it was the only program able to do such stuff.
Now, the only other one capable of working with digidesign and (some) avid hardware is logic, and and lotsa people don't have macs and don't think it has a good enough of a reputation and so on.
-it uses lotsa unconvenient proprietary stuff, such as aax plugins
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok, I was kinding of leaning towards the CI1 but is the audiobox better in terms of sound quality? Is it ok for guitar because it doesn't have a pad which means it could clip... ?

Are the m-audios not that good even if I use say ableton or reaper with them?

One other thing, I was thinking of getting one that also has S/PDIF I/O so I could use my G-Major as a FX processor in my daw but not sure how useful that would be... seems like the fast track pro is the only that his out of that list. the more expensive saffire 6/2i4 don't have this either.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 3, 2014,
I'd say between them, the audiobox is the better one sound-wise, though I've never tried them in person.

The pad is basically a reduction of the input gain, so unless you had active pickups or really hot ones anyway, you shouldn't have problems of any sort.
Actually you shouldn't have problems of any sort in any case, but some active pickups are reeeeeeally hot and some converters have reeeeeeeeally low headroom.

That m-audio interface line (fast track whatever) doesn't sound good, that's the problem.
The pre's are average, and the converters are plain bad.
For serious, I A/Bed them with a Music Streamer II's basic version and for ****'s sake did they suck even worse than I thought...

The selling point of the fast track pro is that it has lotsa connection possibilities, and it does, but for what you're doing, you'll never need them.
Why would you use the digital s-pdif connectors from the G-Major anyway?
I mean it would be better sounding, but you're better off with another interface for the quality you'd get when doing other stuff, so you better just go:
guitar -> interface, input 1 -> (from interface's output 1) g-major, input -> (from g-major's output) interface, input 2

Or again, you could buy a decent di box and go:
guitar -> di box -> g-major -> interface
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't think either of those solutions would allow the g-major to be used as post fx but I guess I could just use plugins or whatever or just record with fx so no biggie.

I searched audiobox clipping and it seems there are quite a few people complaining that it clips with guitar even with gain all the way down... I mean look at all these threads.

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/34224.page
http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/27932.page
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443941
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1560091
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1534424

do you know how the CI1 compares to the audiobox?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 4, 2014,
I don't really know what I'd choose between the two if it was just for the sound, sorry.

As for the g-major, what do you mean by post fx?
'cause if it's only a matter of recording a dry sound and then passing through it, the way would be to connect the interface's output to the g-major's input and the g-major's output to the interface's input.
Then you solo the guitar track and press record.

If you wanted to use it in real time instead, yeah, you'd need some more options like inserts on the interface or some more ins/outs + good routing options.

But I wouldn't buy the fast track pro.
I mean I bought one and I wouldn't buy that again.
It has more options but it sounds bad, so I'd get something else if you wanted to do that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Mar 4, 2014,
By post fx I just mean adding fx after it has been recorded. no need for real time I think. so if it can do that through inputs then cool.

Would you say that the audiobox is good enough to also buy a DI box and run it infront or would that degrade the sound? probably something like this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Swamp-DB-1-Passive-Direct-Injection-Box-DI-Box-/111069892089?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item19dc480df9
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Behringer-DI20-Active-DI-Box-Splitter-Free-Shipping-/290793027655?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item43b49d7847
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIGH-QUALITY-DIRECT-DI-BOX-PASSIVE-NEW-/321341488752?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item4ad171fe70

If not I think I'll just go with the CI1, which seems to have some good reviews.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
The first one intrigues me...

DI boxes shouldn't degrade your tone theoretically, but a $20 thing may do that a bit.
Again, from what I heard only, the AudioBox is pretty nice, but I don't know for sure about either that or the CI1.
And I'll check if the CI1 has any problems with the input gain, since that doesn't have a pad too, and neither does it have a gain reduction possibility for HI-z inputs.

Also, I'd try and see if I can find a used onyx blackjack for not too much money since in my opinion that would be a looot better if you find one for the right price.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Personally I wouldn't deal with M-Audio or Steinberg interfaces as I've had issues with these brands, horrible cust. support to the point of abandonware from Steinberg and bad driver code on behalf of M-Audio. For me it has gotten up to the point where I wouldn't touch anything by both of these companies.

I'd lean on the Presonus, although I think the other two options are probably just as good. If you're getting the Presonus with their DAW, Studio One I think I'd go that way (currently running Studio One 1 and 2 on Presonus hardware and am very happy with the products and the support). Friends that have bought Tascam have been also happy with their purchase, Lexicon has kind of a patched response from its user base...but anyway, do your research and come back and hit us when you have narrowed it down further.

RE: Audiobox clipping
Not sure the complainers know how to setup a gain structure. I've worked with most of the Presonus multitrack products (FP10, Firestudio, etc.) and by the looks on it the Audiobox seems like it has the same pres as my FP10 and I've never had issues. The DI is great on guitar and bass, both active and passive, haven't had issues clipping unless I set my gain structure wrong.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 4, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
Between these, the audiobox is the best if all still works, though if the demos have to sound good, get an onyx blackbird.
If the demos don't really have to sound that good, get the cheapest but skip the m-audio's.

If the m-audio's are used, you'll hardly get any pro tools with them, though you don't want to switch to pro tools because:
-that's not the full version of pro tools
-pro tools is a plain bad program, it's used because it's designed to work with big and HQ integrated systems and for a long time it was the only program able to do such stuff.
Now, the only other one capable of working with digidesign and (some) avid hardware is logic, and and lotsa people don't have macs and don't think it has a good enough of a reputation and so on.
-it uses lotsa unconvenient proprietary stuff, such as aax plugins

Actually not true - EUCON (the language that PT consoles and control surfaces use, since PT9) is compatible with quite a few DAWs, including Cubase/Nuendo, Logic, Sequoia, and MOTU Digital Performer.

Apparently EUCON support is in the works for Reaper.

That being said, otherwise I agree with you. PT Express blows. I'm only using PT10/11 at this point because I got it for free from my school.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 4, 2014,
I think Avid spunoff M-Audio so I am not sure it is a safe bet to use M-Audio hardware and PT as a long term solution, unless you don't plan to upgrade.

Avid is also rumored to be in a really bad financial position so a bankruptcy might be looming and who knows what happens at that point. I think Pro Tools will be continued because many suckers, i.e. commercial clients, bought into it and can't just fold but in what shape and form, it remains to be seen.
Would the audiobox be ok even if I have to get a DI box as well? i.e. wouldn't degrade the sound

the only others I think are more expensive ones like 2i4/saffire 6, 44vsl etc
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I've gotta step in here, although irrelevant to the original topic of the thread, and address a few things...

1) Avid have been rumoured to be in 'financial difficulty', for years and years now, and are still going and releasing new products - it was only really rumoured because of lower share prices a while back (around the Digidesign time, even, I believe).

2) Say what you want about Pro Tools but there are plenty of good things about it and that is why it is still the industry standard (with Logic Pro in second, Cubase third, as far as I'm aware). It is definitely the most in-depth with regard to key commands and general control options that many other DAWs don't offer. It is also very good for editing audio, and if anything I think most people would learn a lot by learning to use it (especially with the multi-tool in the latest versions). Basically, it might not be the best for MIDI-based stuff, and having their own plug-in formats is a load of bullshit that prices it out of the market for most people until you get to project studio level or higher, but it does have some great things about it.

Anyway, let's carry on
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Would the audiobox be ok even if I have to get a DI box as well? i.e. wouldn't degrade the sound

the only others I think are more expensive ones like 2i4/saffire 6, 44vsl etc

I think you'll be fine.
Going to pick up the audiobox tomorrow for $120
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
I just sold an audiobox because i upgraded. The preamps are deece for the price.
I also found the unit VERY stable. Great little box.
nice to hear! it's pretty much mint condition
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino
nope
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Knarrenheino