Hi,

I am not sure exactly what Im after, but I would like a hardware device that has a looper and drum machine and recorder in one.

Basically, I want a device where I can lay down a simple riff over a drum beat, loop it, maybe at a few other loops (5 max would be all I'd need), and record a solo/improvisation over the entire thing.

I want something with a wide variety of drum loops to choose from, and that is easy to use. I dont need any multi fx or anything like that. I cant seem to find any devices that do what I want and no more. Ive been looking at the Zoom G1, but it looks like it does too much.

To sum it up, I'd like to say record a simple 12 bar blues loop over a drum beat, add a bass loop, maybe another couple of loops, then just record a 5 minute track of me soloing over the loop for example.

Ive been using a GNX4 for decades and although it has served me well, its lack of a looper means i have to record an entire 5 minutes or whatever of my riff perfectly then add tracks, kinda annoying. Also I need to use its crappy 10 year old amp models. Im not too concerned about the amp modeling, as long as it has 5 or so decent sounding amp models thats all i'd need.

What would be some options to consider? Id like to obviously spend as little as possible, with the emphasis being on ease of use, but i guess max would be like $500.

Cheers for any advice, highly appreciated.

Thanks.
RG's & Mesa's
Ignore the G1, it's crap. The Zoom G3 is a good option though, one of the best multi effect pedals out there, and it includes a looper, drum machine and USB interface.

However, as you don't want a multi effects unit (even though most of what you describe is exactly what the Zoom G3 offers) , then most answers like that are going to be unacceptable to you.

It could be worth investigating the use of a standalone multitracker rather than an effects unit, something like a Zoom R8/24 (not the 16, they didn't include a drum machine on that model for some reason) or one of Boss's BR series multitrackers (although these are often a bit more expensive). They include a drum machine, you could create your loops and save them for later use. There is also usually plenty of them available on the used market.

If you're interested in going that route, it's probably worth going to the recordings forum & reading the first page of the interfaces sticky. Obviously there's lots of information about using your PC (which you may find worthy of investigation), but there are also a load of multitracker recommendations.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The G3/G5 is about the only multifx with a looper that syncs to the drums. While the modeling in the GNX is dated it does have Jamman looper functionality so I don't know why you think you have to record 5 minutes and add tracks.
Quote by e32lover
Hi,

I am not sure exactly what Im after, but I would like a hardware device that has a looper and drum machine and recorder in one.

Just a thought. You could get an Eleven Rack(without pro tools for $350) + Studio Drummer(or whichever you prefer) + Reaper, and just hook it up to your computer and make your own tracks to solo over. Sounds like you want to make your own songs.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Mar 3, 2014,
OMG all this time and i never realised you could loop with the GNX4. WTF, would have saved me so much agony. I remember when i first got it when it came out in what 08 or something, i got about 1/4 way though the manual then just thought i'd wing it. What a mistake
RG's & Mesa's
Get the external 3 button footswitch for the GNX as well. The looper/recorder/midi drum machine/mp3 player is why I will always keep my GNX4 around. Until it dies anyway.
So Ive been playing with the GNX4 looper, and yeah it loops, but is it possible to record say a 20 second loop, then record a 5 minute improv solo over the top of it?

Also, is it possible to have that 20 second loop play for a minute or so then record a different one minute chorus riff or something that immediately follows it and is synched?

Cant figure it out, ive watched all the youtube vids but still cant work it out
RG's & Mesa's
What you're asking about now is using it as a multitrack recorder. It does that.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
But once youve recorded the first loop, say 30 seconds, ir sets that 30 seconds as the length of the song. I cant figure out how to just have the loop going indefinately while i record solos over the top
RG's & Mesa's
The first track sets the length of the song. In that case I recommend using the GNX as a looper and recording with an external recorder. That's how I generally use a looper. I turn on my Backtrack recorder and have fun. Then go back over the recording to find stuff I want to keep.

You are going to find that most loopers have that limitation. You can get more expensive loopers that have multiple tracks, but just recording with another device (computer or recorder) is the simplest.
That's the difference between looping & recording.

A looper will repeat the same phrase until you tell it to stop. I've just had a quick scan through the GNX4 manual and it doesn't actually have a looper.

What you're talking about doing is using the multitracker functionality that is included in your GNX4. You'll need to record the length of song you require with the different verses/choruses etc in order, then you can use it as a backing track to play/record your solo. Programme the drums first, then use a track for bass, a couple for rhythm guitar, then another for lead.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Hmm so wait a minute, I tried just recording a 5 minute track of nothing on the 1st bank, then using the second bank to record my loop, but it wont loop. So frustrating.

All i want to do is record a 20 second loop, have it play for 5 minutes while im soloing over it and recording it. As if the GNX cant do this? Surely its possible
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by fly135
Gary, the GNX4 has a Jamman looper. Scan slower. Page 87 thru 89.
It was only a quick scan

I still say what he's trying to do is use the multitracker though, he doesn't want the looper.
Quote by e32lover
Hmm so wait a minute, I tried just recording a 5 minute track of nothing on the 1st bank, then using the second bank to record my loop, but it wont loop. So frustrating.

All i want to do is record a 20 second loop, have it play for 5 minutes while im soloing over it and recording it. As if the GNX cant do this? Surely its possible

Why would you record 5 minutes of nothing?

As I said earlier, if you're using the looper & it won't loop, you aren't using it correctly. RTFM. A looper will repeat the looped pattern until you tell it to stop.

If you're using the multitracker (which I believe is what you need for what you described earlier), then forget about looping. You said you wanted the looped phrase to repeat a few times (i.e. a verse), then switch to different phrase (i.e. a chorus). This is not looping, this is recording. If you want 5 minutes of rhythm, you'll need to record 5 minutes of rhythm. This is how you get your "loops" of verses and choruses to play in the order you require. Simply by recording them in that order, they will be stored in that order until you delete them. A looper will not do this.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
What he is trying to do is only possible with an expensive looper that can loop a second short loop with a long primary loop. Or as I suggested any looper including the one in his GNX and an external recorder. His problem is that even with a long initial loop, the GNX doesn't support short loops in the other tracks.

The GNX is both a looper and an 8 track recorder, but it isn't an advanced looper like say the RC300. Many of the songs in my link are done with the G3 and a Line 6 Backtrack recorder. I'm doing exactly what he wants... To lay down a short rhythm and solo for an extended time over it. In some cases I make the rhythm near the full G3 length of 40 secs and add some overlays before soloing. This simply a situation where he needs to understand the limitations of loopers and figure out how to solve the problem. Either cough up a lot of cash for a fancy looper or spend a pittance for an external recorder.

For $20 you can get this....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-BackTrack-Portable-Digital-Recorder-105141758-i1424815.gc?source=4WWRWXGP

Pros: Price, USB, long lasting rechargeable battery , auto on/off, and good quality recording.
Cons: the worst user interface of any recording device.