I mean one of the major difference between piano and guitar is that for piano the notes are laid out linearly which makes learning theories alot easier while the guitar has them all over the place. So, by learning the theories on guitar and training your ear on those complex structure, we can just move onto the piano and learn piano at fast pace (since now you have to play them in linear order, it should be easier)

am I wrong?
A second instrument will be easier to learn musically because your ear does not care which instrument you are playing, only what music it can hear.

The technical aspect of the instrument will still take essentially as long, if you are self teaching then it will probably be quicker than if you started fresh with piano as you'll know some basic principles from guitar (relaxtion, small movements etc...). But the piano is a whole different instrument; for example, I would like to say I can play guitar pretty well by now (technically anyway), but I'm still a complete novice at the piano.
^ agreed.

also I'm not sure of the logic of learning the (supposedly) harder thing first. Using that logic we should teach calculus in schools before we teach you how to count.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think if we are playing our primary instrument then at least we know some of the musical theory behind it and this will help in learning the 2nd instrument... but the techical aspect of playing it is different thing altogether..
Hindsight, if I wanted to learn to play both instruments well I would start with piano and then learn guitar. With piano, music theory is literally in black and white in front of you and it is much easier to visualize and understand. Once you really understand the theory and harmonic relationships, I think guitar would come very quickly. As it is I played guitar for 8 yrs and then studied piano as a tool for composing and theory in college. I was never motivated to play piano as a performance instrument but I still use it to dissect vocal parts and chord changes. As such I have been called an accomplished guitarist and a lousy pianist.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Guitar as my second instrument after playing piano for 15 yrs... well yes it is easier to see the relationships on the keyboard. But if you really want to play guitar, then I don't think it's worth it.

For starters, you have to learn technique for both instruments and they are completely different. If you want to see the theory, then it's better to learn the intervals and the scale and move from there on the fret board. Once I learned the intervals, then it all made sense.

I think it's easiest to visualize on a musical staff, more than anything.
^ Agreed. I played piano (and drums) before guitar, and they definitely helped a ton... but in hindsight I reckon I'd be a better guitar player had I just started on guitar 12 years earlier The theory is a lot easier on piano as people have been saying, but you still have to sort of apply it to guitar (knowing where the notes are etc. I mean). It's easier to do that if you've already learnt piano but it doesn't come instantaneously either (at least it didn't for me; maybe it would for some total badasses).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Theory being universally applicable, I would say just learn as much as you can from every source available. The only real difference is the muscle mechanics necessary to be proficient in the instrument.

Lrn 2 sing
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ