Page 1 of 3
My home county (Essex) has started turning off all of the street lights at 12 midnight til 5am, and everyone is up in arms about it.

I understand their feelings. People are still getting home from work and from going out to the pub and restaurants at midnight, and it's basically become pitch black outside at that time, making women feel unsafe, robberies and burglaries all the more common, and also the chance of tripping or falling over much higher. Also many people have to leave for work at like 5am

So yeah what's an appropriate time to turn off the lights in your town?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Yeah in Hertford they go off at like half 11 or some dumb shit that makes no sense
They never turn off
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I thought they never turned off, but found out recently that something similar happens. From about 1 until morning I think.

Apparently it has had no effect on crime.

I think it's a pretty good idea, but obviously just needs a dash of common sense in where and when they turn off. Late late night when nobody's about (3-5, say) makes sense, or in areas where nobody would be around at night (residential or quiet areas), but yeah it's just common sense to keep them on in areas and times where a lot of people walk still at night or are especially vulnerable (around pubs, clubs, etc at closing time, or before the last buses or whatever).
Quote by MadClownDisease

I think it's a pretty good idea, but obviously just needs a dash of common sense in where and when they turn off. Late late night when nobody's about (3-5, say) makes sense, or in areas where nobody would be around at night (residential or quiet areas), but yeah it's just common sense to keep them on in areas and times where a lot of people walk still at night or are especially vulnerable (around pubs, clubs, etc at closing time, or before the last buses or whatever).

Yeah in Norwich on my estate I've found that they're off from like 2-5 cos I've come home pretty late on occasions, but in the main "City" areas they're still on all night I think.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Around 7 or so.

Oh wait, they never turn off.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Thrashtastic15
when the sun comes out

This. Why would you turn off streetlights at night? That's when you need them because the sun isn't out.
I wish the light in front of my bedroom was shut down permanently!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by LostLegion
Lights where I live? ****ing lol

Have they not worked out how to power them with potatoes yet?

Also they don't, until its light outside.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
where abouts in Essex are you?

I have noticed them going off and it doesn't really bother me, all the lights are/were orange ones and are kind of shitty looking anyway. The place looks better with them off imo
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
My home county (Essex) has started turning off all of the street lights at 12 midnight til 5am, and everyone is up in arms about it.

I understand their feelings. People are still getting home from work and from going out to the pub and restaurants at midnight, and it's basically become pitch black outside at that time, making women feel unsafe, robberies and burglaries all the more common, and also the chance of tripping or falling over much higher. Also many people have to leave for work at like 5am

So yeah what's an appropriate time to turn off the lights in your town?

That's exactly the same cos I'm in Essex. But if you look outside its not pitch black after midnight. So many people have porch lights and at traffic lights and junctions the street lights are still on.
I think it's a lot of fuss over nothing tbh, not to mention that crime hasnt actually increased since the switch.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
That's exactly the same cos I'm in Essex. But if you look outside its not pitch black after midnight. So many people have porch lights and at traffic lights and junctions the street lights are still on.
I think it's a lot of fuss over nothing tbh, not to mention that crime hasnt actually increased since the switch.

Serious question, do you talk like the people on The Only Way Is Essex ?
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Serious question, do you talk like the people on The Only Way Is Essex ?

No.

A lot of my friends do though, so the more I'm around them the more Essex girl I get. But the same thing happens when I see my bf in Lancashire or friends in London, I start talking like them.
Quote by Renka

Quote by Bladez22
where abouts in Essex are you?

I have noticed them going off and it doesn't really bother me, all the lights are/were orange ones and are kind of shitty looking anyway. The place looks better with them off imo

Well i'm currently in Norwich for Uni, but Billericay. Safe to say I won't be going to Basildon at night any time soon.

Yeah they look shitty but on the more residential roads it might become nigh-impossible to see.

there's a nasty corner by my house so they set up lights there that never go out. it's pretty dim though, i can still see the milkway if the sky is clear.
i don't know why i feel so dry
They never turn off
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Well i'm currently in Norwich for Uni, but Billericay. Safe to say I won't be going to Basildon at night any time soon.

Yeah they look shitty but on the more residential roads it might become nigh-impossible to see.

Mate, have you been home since they started turning them off? Its really not that dark.
Quote by Renka

Quote by EndTheRapture51

You'll have to be careful on those corners in case Will is waiting there to beat you up.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Maybe if they built more power stations they wouldn't have to turn them off. ****ing hippies
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I'm in Chelmsford lol

It doesn't seem too dark around here with them off. And I live in a small village when I'm not at uni so I'm used to the dark and not having many street lights
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by So-Cal
Maybe if they built more power stations they wouldn't have to turn them off. ****ing hippies

If coffin dodgers stopped whinging about wind farms spoiling their view, everything would be fine. They'll be dead within 5 years, and if not, they'll be subjected to cataracts anyway, so they won't see any wind turbines.

Then you have the anti-communist scum that don't like nuclear power.
why would the lights go out? lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Deliriumbassist
If coffin dodgers stopped whinging about wind farms spoiling their view, everything would be fine. They'll be dead within 5 years, and if not, they'll be subjected to cataracts anyway, so they won't see any wind turbines.

Then you have the anti-communist scum that don't like nuclear power.

People who are against nuclear power really annoy me because 99% of the time they have no idea how they actually work and are just scared of the word nuclear
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
never turn off where i live, even when theres a power cut my town still glows as were so close to gatwick airport. So much light pollution!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Page 1 of 3