Hey guys

First time poster but I've been wandering around here for a while now!

I recently started my first building project as I've just ventured into the world of amp heads and cabinets. I decided to build my own cab for a head I just bought pretty cheap. It's a Crate Flexwave 120h, not a great amp but it introduced me to heads nonetheless! I'm a student product designer so I thought it wouldn't be a tough challenge, just something I could have a little fun with.

So I've just finished planning out what I'm hoping to achieve and my aim is something like this:

I'll be posting regular updates and I'll be happy to answer any questions and see any other similar work you might like to share!
Last edited by AxemanRob at Mar 3, 2014,
So I've started the construction process. I had this ¾" plywood at home which I will be using

I followed some drawings I quickly made up in CAD to make sure everything lined up. I used a table saw to cut out all the rectangular sections. For the holes in the baffle wall I traced around a dinner plate as it was a good fit. Then i drilled a hole big enough to fit a jigsaw blade through and cut out the circles. I cut out a ¾" strip of plywood and nailed it to the edges of the sides, top and bottom. This was mainly to have something to screw the baffle wall on to and it also made the cab look thicker, Marshall style

After the parts were cut out they looked like this:

And now to assemble it all together!
Quote by Dimarzio45
Cool stuff! What kind of speakers are you going to install?

Thanks man, I'm thinking Celestion Vintage 30's would suit my style reasonably well!
So after a busy evening of building and a lot sanding I've built the structure! I used wood glue on the edges and screwed them together. If you're filleting the corners be sure to have the screws slightly away from the area you're rounding off. I drilled mine at a slight angle to achieve the best hold. Here's how she's looking so far:

More to follow very soon..!
Very nice build. look forward to the finished product.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
So just a quick update

I let the glue set over night and then cleaned it all up a bit. I filled up all the screw holes and gaps etc with wood filler, sanded it and gave it a coat of paint. I did this in case I leave any gaps in the tolex, at least then it won't show the bare plywood. I'm picking up some parts tomorrow so it should all come together soon!

Here's where we stand so far:

If your in the USA look at the WGS Veteran 30 $69 at MF
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dimarzio45
Hell yeah. When you complete it, post some soundbytes!

Will do! hopefully it'll be up and running by the weekend

Quote by Robbgnarly
If your in the USA look at the WGS Veteran 30 $69 at MF

I just looked that up there and they seem pretty good! Unfortunately I'm in Ireland so they'd be really hard to come by.

In other news I've the tolex, grill cloth, etc. on the way so not long now 'til it starts taking shape! I'll keep you all posted
Quote by Ippon
Is it front- or rear-loaded? I need to install some grill cloth on mine.

Mine's going to be rear loaded with screws so I can swap the speakers easily if needed!
I know from other guys that live in the UK Eminence Legends are pretty cheap compared to others. The V12 is like a mellow V30 type speaker and the GB128 is a Greenback type speaker. I use both types and they are great speakers for the price.

You may do well by ordering a Harley Benton G212 vintage. It has V30's and is barley more expensive than just the speakers (you can sell the cab and pay less for the speakers)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I know from other guys that live in the UK Eminence Legends are pretty cheap compared to others. The V12 is like a mellow V30 type speaker and the GB128 is a Greenback type speaker. I use both types and they are great speakers for the price.

You may do well by ordering a Harley Benton G212 vintage. It has V30's and is barley more expensive than just the speakers (you can sell the cab and pay less for the speakers)

Cool man thanks for the info. I'd probably be waiting over a week by the time those would be shipped over from the UK and I'm kinda stuck for time as I'm moving down the country soon on college work placement. I used to work in a music store and I still receive a staff discount so I could easily pick up the V30's as they're readily available there
I picked up some parts today in my local Maplin. Bought a pair of handles which are really sturdy, a recess dish for the jacks and the jack sockets themselves!

The handles required a bigger cutout so I cut a larger hole with a jigsaw:

After a quick test fit they seem fairly snug

I also had a change of mind in regards to the back of the cabinet and changed it to a closed back. I dressed it in some old tolex I had lying around and then mounted the plate and the jacks.

Tomorrow and the day after I'm gonna tackle the tolex and grill cloth so be sure to check back here for my progress! And of course fire any questions my way!

-Rob
Hello again!

So today I started wrapping her up in tolex! I was quite happy with how it turned out, especially for my first attempt. See below for my guidelines and I hope they can be useful for somebody

Firstly I measured the tolex and cut it to the required size. In this case I cut the large piece into 3 even increments.

Next I laid down the material on a wallpaper pasting table and gave it a coat of adhesive. My father is an interior decorator so he was able to fix me up with some adhesive when I went home for the weekend. I used a special fabric-backed wallpaper paste that was lying around his shed. It's easy to apply, has a great stick and dries reasonably fast.
Once the tolex was where I wanted it to be I used a window wiper to flatten it out and remove any bubbles.

Next up was cutting the corners. This can be a little tricky so you can practice with an off-cut of even a sheet of paper if you like!

Firstly I cut the edge of the tolex up to the corner of the amp and then folded one side over as shown in the pic. Cut along the red line and then fold the material around the front edge.

Repeat this for the other sides. Once the horizontal and vertical edges are overlapping, take your ruler and blade and cut from the inner corner to the outer corner, which I have marked in red here:

So now the corners should be good to go! Here's how mine turned out:

I'll be putting on grill cloth and the hardware really soon, I'll also put up some photos of the whole amp once that's done so be sure to check back!
nicw build! i would have gone with something other than the oh so standard black though...

and load it up with WGS speakers!
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a busy week at work and all that but I've finished the build! I'm still breaking in the speakers but it still sounds pretty good! I'm waiting on a new head to arrive and I'm currently upgrading my guitar's electronics so I should be producing some sweet tones pretty soon! In the process of uploading photos now so the finished cab will be free for all to see shortly!
Once I had the cab wrapped up I moved on to the grill cloth. I went for a classic Marshall-style grey. I stapled the bottom edge on securely and then stretched it over the baffle. I pulled it as tight as I could and then held it in with more staples. Finally I topped it off with some white piping which was stapled on too.

Next I wired the speakers onto the jacks. I bought 2x Celestion V30's (16Ω and wired them in parallel for a total impedance of 8Ω. I connected a second jack so I could run another cab in series if I needed to. I used 22 gauge speaker wire to connect it all together. The speakers are mounted to the baffle using screws and washers so they can be easily replaced.

All that's left now is to install the hardware. The handles and feet were screwed on and then I moved onto the corners. I bought Marshall-style corner protectors from solsound.com, they're very good quality and come with gold rivets. Here's how I installed them:

First off I drilled pilot holes for the rivets

Then I tapped them into the pilot hole with a hammer which gave a good secure grip

So that's pretty much all the main building finished, here's how it looks so far:

All that's left is a couple of aesthetic features to add on! Here's a small badge I made up for the bottom left corner

I designed a logo to stick on the front of the cab just to make it stand out, it should be made soon so once it is I'll put up another photo of the finished project! My new head should also be arriving in a couple of days so I'm looking forward to sharing my new rig with you all As always I'm happy to answer any questions about what I've done so far.

Cheers for looking guys!
-Rob
Looks very very nice.
Here's my build thread on the 2x12 I built a few years ago:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26372230
Would you be willing to share your plans? I am looking to build a cab like yours.
Quote by cmmdude
Would you be willing to share your plans? I am looking to build a cab like yours.

Here's some rough plans I made up, I changed small bits like the size of the handle and jack plate cutouts to suit the parts I bought.

And for this one I had the dimensions wrong, it shows the size needed for ½" plywood. For ¾" it should be 18.5" x 28.5"
Excellent work, congratulations. Looking forward for pics of it with the matching head!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Excellent work, congratulations. Looking forward for pics of it with the matching head!

Thank you! I'll have the head ready soon hopefully. I've the logo attached to the cab since yesterday and I'm very happy with how it tops it off! I'll put up a pic in a few hours when I've access to my camera
Here's the laser cutter hard at work making my logo:

A few coats of white spray paint later:

And finally, it's all finished! In case you were wondering, Moloney is my surname
This looks AWESOME! Great job! You might have a future in this for a little extra cash!
Two questions:

What's the finished weight?
Do you have a brace anywhere on the back panel?
Quote by dspellman
Two questions:

What's the finished weight?
Do you have a brace anywhere on the back panel?

I won't be able to check the weight for sure 'til Friday as I'm away for a few days but I'm guessing it's somewhere in the 20kg region! As for the back, it's just a single piece of ¾" plywood. I didn't use any bracing as it was sturdy enough without it