So, my last exam will be in the first week of May.

I feel mixed about it.

On one hand, YAY, Uni is finished.

On the other hand, the heavier one, I'm kinda super scared and afraid that I'll be bored and feel down. It's not that I'm afraid of the real world so much, but rather afraid of the boredom. No more meeting people in your age with the same similar goals in life. No more inside jokes. No more possibilities of meeting new people in that range.

People who have finished Uni, please tell me how you handled this.

I took a gap year after High School, and felt mega let-down after graduation, socially.
I graduated in December, and then took it one step further and moved 1000 miles away from all my friends and family. I've dealt with this by becoming a regular at a bar. Not to get trashed, but as a dedicated social spot. Pick three or so watering holes to be a regular at and head there. You'll be surprised who you meet. Especially places that host shows. Great way to meet people.

Keep yourself occupied by reading books, any really. How to Win Friends and Influence People was a great read for me to build relationships with people.

Also consider volunteering somewhere, that also works.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck.
Quote by wag89
I graduated in December, and then took it one step further and moved 1000 miles away from all my friends and family. I've dealt with this by becoming a regular at a bar. Not to get trashed, but as a dedicated social spot. Pick three or so watering holes to be a regular at and head there. You'll be surprised who you meet. Especially places that host shows. Great way to meet people.

Keep yourself occupied by reading books, any really. How to Win Friends and Influence People was a great read for me to build relationships with people.

Solid advice. Did you just...go to a bar alone? I always felt it'd be a bit strange, but maybe it's just me.
I'm in my first year, got my first exam coming up in a few weeks lol
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
i am getting double penetrated by two massive papers i need to finish by tuesday night lol wanna trade?

I finished in December. I'm still working the same part time job I have so it keeps me sane. Also I have so much time now too focus on hobbies that could lead to many opportunities in my career that hasn't really started yet but I must keep dreaming.
I finish university at exactly 7pm on April 22. I couldn't be happier. It may seem like you wont be "meeting new people", but honestly I meet most new people through the friends that I've known since we were little kids, so I'm really not worried.

Uni's not "really" done for me, anyways. I'm taking a year off to do volunteer work and build a resume before going to law school
Yea I'm in the same boat, last semester. It sorta makes me think that I didn't make the absolute most out of being in college. But whatever, I chose to do what I wanted to do, and yes I'm afraid of not finding a job.
I plan on graduating this time next year and am a little worried about myself as far as employment goes. A history degree isn't exactly the most practical piece of paper you can get out of uni.

As far as meeting people, I've met very few people in classes here. Most people I meet are outside of school, at bars or parties or just through other friends. Like wag said, go to bars or other establishments where people like yourself would go. I go to a local bar almost every night the Leafs play to watch there, sometimes by myself and I'll just chat with other folks.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Yea, so this thread has gotten me in a depressed mood thinking about how impossible it's gonna be for me to find a job, especially with how lazy I've been when it comes to applying to real jobs.
Seems like most people who graduate have the post-uni blues, for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned. There is a silver lining though, it does make it easier to meet people because everyone is in the same boat. You just have be open to meeting people who are different than your friends at uni.

imo, the best way to combat this feeling is to work toward, and not lose sight of, your long term goals.

And don't fall into the trap I see so many others fall into: Getting into a relationship because you are lonely. Getting into a relationship because you need to fill the void of loneliness rather than really caring about someone probably isn't going anywhere good, but thats just my take on it.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Mar 3, 2014,
My day-to-day lifestyle hasn't changed all that much since I graduated, except I'm more relaxed now. Back then, I was always procrastinating. Now I don't have looming deadlines. I am quite lazy, so the lifestyle that makes me happy would make other people very bored.

I never really put a lot of effort into social stuff when I was still a student. People always say that uni/college is the best time of your life and you should make the most of the opportunities available. It mostly involves going to the pub every night with a different crowd. I don't like that kind of stuff, but I have a feeling that when I'm 40 I'll look back and regret that I didn't do more when I was young. Right now, doing stuff for its own sake (especially if you don't want to) seems pretty stupid.
Not at uni yet (If I decide to go).
Not the most social person myself for a mix of reasons, but with college work i'm happy enough at home a lot of the time. As well as what people suggested, I personally would just get lost in music in my spare time. Spend it all recording and composing music, and also get a band going maybe.
I feel that man, happened to me about 7 years ago and now work in the engineering industry with very few people close to my age. Back then It was easy to find people on the same wavelength but now I have moved etc it's pretty tough.
There is a dude at my work that is into the same stuff as my old room mates and I were into and we get along here but he plays in a successful (and good) Led zepp cover band on weekends so is always busy. I'm fine with finding and meeting women but am really lonely when it comes to mates (opposite to what it was like at uni lol).
I have a long term gf and baby but no mates for myself that I can unwind/jam with/ talk philos, the universe ect
Luckily i have the best of both worlds for when i graduate this summer, i went to my local university and i'm graduating before most of my friends due to opting out of placement year, so i have one or two years where hopefully i can pick up a nice job and still have some cool people around, that's the dream anyway.
Will be 2 years this May since I graduated from college. Have a couple of cool jobs, nice car, fancy dinner whenever I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36BvyC_ODRM

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
how about the never went to uni blues
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I graduated just over a year ago and I'm still working on it. "working" being the most important word. Jumping into the serious career world is tough and competitive. You need to figure out what you want and convince otherwise that not only do you want it but that they want you.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I like to think of it as the "rest of your life blues"
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by bifteksupernova
I plan on graduating this time next year and am a little worried about myself as far as employment goes. A history degree isn't exactly the most practical piece of paper you can get out of uni.

As far as meeting people, I've met very few people in classes here. Most people I meet are outside of school, at bars or parties or just through other friends. Like wag said, go to bars or other establishments where people like yourself would go. I go to a local bar almost every night the Leafs play to watch there, sometimes by myself and I'll just chat with other folks.

I see you're from the maritimes, do you mind me asking which Uni you go to?

As for me, I'm only in my 2nd year, so I have two more to go, then another year to get my bachelor of education. After that I'm probably off to asia to teach for a couple years, which should be interesting.
Last edited by Jmoarguitar at Mar 3, 2014,
Well I finished uni last June and have been utterly miserable ever since

I approve of this thread. Ideally I'd just go onto postgrad for the rest of my life, but unfortunately, that's not gonna happen. Moral of the story: Don't do a degree in Popular Music.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by captainsnazz
I plan to deal with this by taking an infinite number of postgraduate degrees until I find something I want to do.

"something I want to do" = sucking student loan officers' dicks.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Jmoarguitar
I see you're from the maritimes, do you mind me asking which Uni you go to?

As for me, I'm only in my 2nd year, so I have two more to go, then another year to get my bachelor of education. After that I'm probably off to asia to teach for a couple years, which should be interesting.

I'm in my third year of my history program at Dalhousie in Halifax, but did my first year in Ontario at Western. Originally from Ontario but moved east two years ago to go to school and love it out here. Where are you?

And speaking of teaching in Asia, my cousin graduated teachers college last year and is currently teaching English in China and absolutely loves it.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Leaving the safe educational bubble is always daunting. I'm dreading it.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
try online dating if you aren't getting laid post-university
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I don't just listen to blues.

I listen to post-blues.

Can't believe that joke wasn't made yet...

maybe everyone else has a better sense of humor than you
Last edited by captaincrunk at Mar 4, 2014,
Quote by bifteksupernova
I'm in my third year of my history program at Dalhousie in Halifax, but did my first year in Ontario at Western. Originally from Ontario but moved east two years ago to go to school and love it out here. Where are you?

And speaking of teaching in Asia, my cousin graduated teachers college last year and is currently teaching English in China and absolutely loves it.

Oh cool, I figured maybe you were in Fredericton. And yeah, I heard a lot of people say how much they enjoyed teaching over seas, lots from Korea and Taiwan
I start school again after finishing a music diploma in 2012 and working as a guitar teacher after that. I can't wait to go back.

Quote by TJ1991
Well I finished uni last June and have been utterly miserable ever since

I approve of this thread. Ideally I'd just go onto postgrad for the rest of my life, but unfortunately, that's not gonna happen. Moral of the story: Don't do a degree in Popular Music.

Sorry dude, I understand your pain. I almost fell into that trap as well.

I'd always advice people wanting to do a music degree to literally go out and earn 100% of the money beforehand.

That way, one won't have student loans compounding interest, and one will think long and hard before spewing out the classic "I don't care about money, I just want to do music" crap and then four years later saying how much they regret it and are now swamped with debt. It will also ensure someone is not going to go into a music degree thinking it will make them more money, all you can really count on is gaining knowledge.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Mar 4, 2014,
I'm graduating june if I finish my master's thesis and I have mixed feelings, but mostly I'm positive towards finally being finished with everything. I want to travel which my kind of job allows, write papers, start up projects myself... simulataneously it's an extremely competetitve business and not everyone ends up with a job.

At this point it feels I know everyone in uni. It's a big university but I always meet a couple of people I know, and I'm very involved in a student organization there too. Those things are gonna dissapear, but things don't last forever.

Quote by wag89

You should try couchsurfing as well. They arrange events, or you can arrange one yourself. I go to a boardgaming event once a week with some really cool people. Everyone's super friendly because why wouldn't they if they are going to these kinds of events?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████