Recently I came across a Squier Affinity Telecaster.

I've always had something for a Telecaster and I never owned one. I thought this would be a good first Tele that was a 6 string (I'm getting a 12 String Tele after I sell some things). But I was watching an old live show of Pink Floyd's and I paused it, and zoomed in on it. And realized that Syd Barrett was using an Esquire! And I haven't been able to stop looking at them since. But I have concerns about being able to switch a Squier Affinity Tele to a Fender Esquire.

1. How will I wire it to have the sounds of the Esquire?

2. How about pickguard screws into the right spot?

3. Going from the individual bridge to the saddle brass bridge, will it work and look right without any screw holes showing?

4. Is there anything else that I need to know about the switch that I should be cautious or warned about?

Thanks Guys!
-Troy
1996 Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster
1994 Ibanez Iceman ICB300 Bass
2011 Custom Gibson Les Paul
1984 Morley Power Wah
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Various BOSS Pedals
Pearl Forum Series Drums
Quote by Dcat1000
Recently I came across a Squier Affinity Telecaster.

I've always had something for a Telecaster and I never owned one. I thought this would be a good first Tele that was a 6 string (I'm getting a 12 String Tele after I sell some things). But I was watching an old live show of Pink Floyd's and I paused it, and zoomed in on it. And realized that Syd Barrett was using an Esquire! And I haven't been able to stop looking at them since. But I have concerns about being able to switch a Squier Affinity Tele to a Fender Esquire.

1. How will I wire it to have the sounds of the Esquire?

2. How about pickguard screws into the right spot?

3. Going from the individual bridge to the saddle brass bridge, will it work and look right without any screw holes showing?

4. Is there anything else that I need to know about the switch that I should be cautious or warned about?

Thanks Guys!
-Troy

1) The bast majority of the tone you're going to hear is them having tube amps dimed, most of your tone will come from your amp, and having a tube amp in overdrive is just a thing to behold as far as tone goes. The switching of the esquire seems fairly basic, just a tone bypass, a regular tone circuit, and a treble bleed, the problem you're going to have is that you're looking to make a 5 or more piece alder bodied tele with cheap pickups sound like a 1-2 piece ash bodied tele with a single higher quality pickup. I'd say just ind something that keeps you sated until you get what you really want

2) t\The affinity has more screw holes, but it looks like the ones that both pickguards have are in the same spot so you should be able to use the esquire pickguard on the affinity and it should cover the unused screw holes.

3) So long as the plates on the bridges are the same size, no empty holes should show though if they don't have the same pattern.

4) The switch should be simple, it's just a tone bypass, a regular tone circuit, and a treble bleed circuit, you should be able to use some of the empty space left when you remove the neck pickup to do it should you choose to.

I wouldn't expect the affinity to sound much like the esquire to be honest, that doesn't mean it'll sound bad though. Those live recordings you heard of pink floyd were from tube amps being pushed into overdrive, you could play a $100 new guitar through that and it'd still sound smooth.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by Viban
1) The bast majority of the tone you're going to hear is them having tube amps dimed, most of your tone will come from your amp, and having a tube amp in overdrive is just a thing to behold as far as tone goes. The switching of the esquire seems fairly basic, just a tone bypass, a regular tone circuit, and a treble bleed, the problem you're going to have is that you're looking to make a 5 or more piece alder bodied tele with cheap pickups sound like a 1-2 piece ash bodied tele with a single higher quality pickup. I'd say just ind something that keeps you sated until you get what you really want

2) t\The affinity has more screw holes, but it looks like the ones that both pickguards have are in the same spot so you should be able to use the esquire pickguard on the affinity and it should cover the unused screw holes.

3) So long as the plates on the bridges are the same size, no empty holes should show though if they don't have the same pattern.

4) The switch should be simple, it's just a tone bypass, a regular tone circuit, and a treble bleed circuit, you should be able to use some of the empty space left when you remove the neck pickup to do it should you choose to.

I wouldn't expect the affinity to sound much like the esquire to be honest, that doesn't mean it'll sound bad though. Those live recordings you heard of pink floyd were from tube amps being pushed into overdrive, you could play a $100 new guitar through that and it'd still sound smooth.

Well I saw this guy on YouTube who kept the Affinity and turned it into an Esquire, put it through a mini Marshall amp that you put on your belt and sounded perfect to me. I really just want to remove the neck pickup, put a new pickguard on it, and Have the switch become the tone control like the older ones. But where can I find a diagram for it?
1996 Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster
1994 Ibanez Iceman ICB300 Bass
2011 Custom Gibson Les Paul
1984 Morley Power Wah
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Various BOSS Pedals
Pearl Forum Series Drums
I'm not going to argue tone with you because different people have different tastes and a different ear. I will tell you that as your ear matures, your entire view of tone will change drastically. The things I'm trying to tell you is that as far as tone goes amp>guitar, and that an ash bodied guitar and an alder bodied guitar will have different tonal qualities.

If this is a thing you want to go through with because you like the look and idea of the look of the guitar as opposed to looking to make an exact tonal match than go on ahead with it.

The switching is super simple, I attached a diagram below, essentially what you do is you clip the wire that goes between the tone pot and the volume pot, and you put that on the center lug of an on/off/on switch, then you put a wire from one lug to the tone pot on one lug and a wire from the remaining lug to a treble bleed. the diagram I drew shows pretty much what that means.
Attachments:
fender esquire switch.jpg
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.