Hi guys,

First thread, so I hope it's in the right area.

I am going to be getting a Fender Telecaster, and would love some reccomendations on what to get.

So if you could post - What? Why? and where? I'm in New Zealand by the way.

Personally I'm drawn to the Fender Telebration (Telecaster) old redwood, but would love to hear other options.

JP
Well; you have definitely picked a great and versatile guitar. However, there are so many models and variations of the Telecaster available that we need some information from you: How much cash do you have to spend on it? Do you want one with a maple fretboard or a rosewood fretboard? Are you looking for a "Classic Style" with the old three-barrel Telecaster bridge, or are you drawn more to the modern versions? Do you want the classic Telecaster pickup arrangement (slanted single coil in the bridge position; smaller (and covered) single coil in the neck position)? And if you know this, how much of a markup do they stick you with because you live in New Zealand?

The "Telebration" Telecaster was a limited run of semi-hollow Telecasters that sold in the U.S.A. for about US$1,200.00 (street price). Are you looking to spend the same amount on your choice of guitar?

Fill in a few of these blanks and we can better answer your question.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Thanks for your reply.

Cash wise is not a huge issue.

Maple neck.

Not really much help on the rest. I can tell you I am a blues rock/hard rock fan.
Does it need to be a Fender? There are a lot of other brands with just as good, if not subjectively better versions of the Telecaster out there.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Jpaycheck might probably find it easier to audition and go for a Fender or Squier Tele. My go to Tele is a Highway One, before Fender added the Greasebucket circuit. Another is the Squier CV '50s Tele. Both have Maple fretboards, the Fender has stock PUs while the Squier has MIA Standard Tele PUs. The 2012 MIA Standard is very nice, too.

Neck feel is important.
American Standard Telecaster
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
The ash one probably has the classic Tele tone.

I'd probably go with the redwood one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Haha well I kind of am stuck in that pickle. Im really digging the redwood one!
Follow your heart, bro. If you REALLY feel like that is what you want, you're going to question any other decision you make other than picking it. It's not like you're considering a low-end guitar. It should be well made.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Follow your heart, bro. If you REALLY feel like that is what you want, you're going to question any other decision you make other than picking it. It's not like you're considering a low-end guitar. It should be well made.

Agreed! I'd really like a Rosewood Tele.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Thats very good advice! Thanks
Go try it first, and deff try a G&L ASAT if you can find one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Ippon
Agreed! I'd really like a Rosewood Tele.

Everyone wants a rosewood Telecaster!

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley