Evening folks. Going to read all the stickies, but thought I'd throw an intro thread into the boards. Quick description of my abilities or lack thereof: Been trying to self teach myself for many many years, but I guess you can say Im lazy, because if it's anymore than a basic D, C, G type song,,,,I suck. I love music and I find it so hard to self teach myself. Learning tab is fun and makes for learning a song kinda quick, but I want to really learn how to play. I probably should take some lessons and be done with it. I just want to be good enough to know a bunch of 70's/80's music and have a good time on an open mic night or something. Im tired of watching live bands and wanting to be up there instead of playing "air bass." I'll post up some pics of my Charvel and my Dean later. Have a great night everyone. Oh, and if anyone here is in the Tampa/Clearwater area and know of a good teacher, please, let me know. Wade
45yr old beginner. Owner of a 4 string Charvel and a 4 string Dean. Music lover and wanting to learn as much as possible.
i'd suggest getting the programme tux guitar. that way you can download a lot of the tabs that are uploaded onto UG and have the programme play them too you. you cna even isolate the bass track or turn down the pesky guitars :P granted the audio quality isn't the greatest it being midi, but i found it definately helps me learning a song and eventually you'll get to a point where you won't need to isolate the track to learn it
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Awesome. Thnk u very much. I'll look into that.
45yr old beginner. Owner of a 4 string Charvel and a 4 string Dean. Music lover and wanting to learn as much as possible.
Hey young man, I didn't start bass until I reached 55. I'd nurdled around with a guitar as a teenager but hand't ever really learned anything. Now six years later I've been gigging for five years and just passed an audition to join a new band over eight other bassists. It's never too late.

The trick is really simple, consistent practice. Only ten minutes a day at first because I could play everything I new in that time but now I do an hour a day fairly consistently. The other thing is to learn entire songs, not just the easy bits and not just the interesting bits. I try to learn one new song a week, just to keep it fresh.

There's so much stuff on youtube now that makes it so much easier to learn as well

this guy is excellent for learning songs http://www.how-to-play-bass.com/index.html

This guy is a great teacher and gives great tips and a smattering of music theory woven into his lessons http://www.scottsbasslessons.com/online-video-bass-lessons

and of course you have plenty of tabs here.

good luck
Thank you very very very much. Trying to figure out the attachment thing so I can attach some pics of my Charvel and Dean. Thnx again. Wade
Attachments:
Charvel 001.jpg
Charvel 032.jpg
Charvel 040.jpg
The thing that has me newbie is that TAB is available 24/7 on the Net, and the Songs.

I am just not used to that. I am hammering that into my head as I learn the next 30 tunes after spending 4 months on 50 tunes I never listened to from the 90's to recent.

Since I have decades of ear work I am fortunately able to hear the things that the TABers have missed.

A. Find a way to keep challenging yourself. Especially if you feel bored.

Perhaps I should check out Scotts Lessons for the heck of it.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by Phil Starr
Hey young man, I didn't start bass until I reached 55. I'd nurdled around with a guitar as a teenager but hand't ever really learned anything. Now six years later I've been gigging for five years and just passed an audition to join a new band over eight other bassists. It's never too late.

I'd learned chords playing rhythm in our 'beat group' (that's what they called them back in the day), I picked up our rubbish bassists bass and thought this is easy so I sacked him and bought a bass on Saturday and gigged the following Friday for Peter Stringfellow that was in Sheffield UK way back in 1962.
I used the chord structures I'd learned playing rhythm.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn