Seriously, i'm not bashing on the band or anything, I respect the name and all but... How did this band stood out?

I've always seen some kind of hype around them and I tried to like them but I don't know... To me it sounds like an unorganized mashup of blast beats and shredding. I mostly listen to prog but I do like a few trash bands like Kreator or Exodus. But Slayer? I think I might be missing the point, because a lot of people say they're the best thrash band out there and what not.

What makes you guys like them? Any "must know" songs you would recommend giving another try?

Thanks!
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
Last edited by sbesozzi at Mar 4, 2014,
Im kinda with ya on this thread. Grew up in the 80's 90's and when Metallica really came into the picture. I had a friend who thought Slayer was the cats ass, but the hardest I could ever go was Metallica. I guess it's a "feeling" you have to have for it. It all sounds the same to me. There are one or two songs that I listen to, but I have to be in the mood for it. To be honest, I'd rather listen to Testament or Pantera before I listen to Slayer.
45yr old beginner. Owner of a 4 string Charvel and a 4 string Dean. Music lover and wanting to learn as much as possible.
you like it or you dont.. .no explanation, awesome riffs and good thrash.'

-angel of death
-raining blood
It's become more of a joke as to how "extreme" Slayer fans are. I still hold the unpopular opinion that the big 4 is
Megadeth > Metallica > Anthrax > Slayer
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
because they are to extreme metal what Sabbath was to traditional metal.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
because they are to extreme metal what Sabbath was to traditional metal.

no, that would be Hellhammer/Celtic Frost and Venom
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Reign in Blood was and still is the bench mark that all thrash metal is measured against.

I think the most important thing here, is the Marmite effect!! Some of the most influential bands of all time are a love/hate thing!! I personally don't like Zepplin or the Doors!! But I sure as hell understand that they contributed a massive amount to Rock!

Slayer are a car crash assault on the senses!! you either like or loathe!
Another person who says "trash" instead of 'thrash'.
What the **** is wrong with people?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I like some of the stuff off Reign in Blood, favorite song by them is Season's in the Abyss, check that out you might like it. Other than that I pretty much agree with you. The solo's are MOSTLY mediocre whammy bar wanking, a lot of it does sound like a random mashup of blast beats and shredding.

I always liked Metallica and Megadeth more. But now I have to be in the mood to listen to either of them.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Last edited by RCA1186 at Mar 4, 2014,
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
no, that would be Hellhammer/Celtic Frost and Venom

Hell Awaits represents the marriage of speed metal technique (Mercyful Fate/Judas Priest) and chromatic scale-based melodic development (taken from Hellhammer/Black Sabbath etc) that actualized death metal. The influence of UK band Discharge is also crucial, as it contributed a rhythmic backbone to the winding riffs.

Venom were a musically inept shock band that had some flukes but produced nothing noteworthy and thus, they should be excluded from any serious discussion about metal's evolution.

People like Slayer because Slayer's music radiates an aura of virility that is a breath of life in an otherwise neurotic and sedated society.

plus hanneman's riffs totally rip
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at Mar 4, 2014,
I grew up in the 80's as well when the "big Four" were starting out. Never really got into Slayer much myself. Liked a couple of songs, show no mercy was my "favorite" as a whole album. My biggest problem, and I'm sure someone is gonna rip me on this, was I never really liked Kerry Kings soloing. Very noisy, overused whammy nonsense, just didn't like his style that was a big turn off for me
Quote by RCA1186
I like some of the stuff off Reign in Blood, favorite song by them is Season's in the Abyss, check that out you might like it.

Thanks, this one is pretty good indeed. I thought it had a kind of Metallica vibe to it.

Well i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who doesn't worship them. I like Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax but Slayer... Meh.
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
Quote by The Wildchild
Venom were a musically inept shock band that had some flukes but produced nothing noteworthy and thus, they should be excluded from any serious discussion about metal's evolution.

Your semen will never produce anything noteworthy because you can't find a filipino slut that'll let you blow it in her hairy ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g27XSsxNRw
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Your semen will never produce anything noteworthy because you can't find a filipino slut that'll let you blow it in her hairy ****.

Someone is butthurt

ps that song wasn't very good
Well from a guitar player point of view their riffs (in my opinion) are some of the most fun to play.
Because opinion

/thread
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If you listen Slayer for their solos you are doing it wrong. Slayers bread and butter is the sonic assault of rhythm riffs in Reign In Blood and generally menacing feeling of Hell Awaits.
Atleast thats my take on the subject. I'm not really a shredder person, they tell me nothing.

They are not the best band in the genre (though I consider Angel Of Death the best Thrash song ever) but they are/were fricking intense and they inspired a lot of extreme metal bands back in the day. Thats how it is simply put.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
If you listen Slayer for their solos you are doing it wrong. Slayers bread and butter is the sonic assault of rhythm riffs in Reign In Blood and generally menacing feeling of Hell Awaits.
Atleast thats my take on the subject. I'm not really a shredder person, they tell me nothing.

They are not the best band in the genre (though I consider Angel Of Death the best Thrash song ever) but they are/were fricking intense and they inspired a lot of extreme metal bands back in the day. Thats how it is simply put.

I agree. Slayer's strength isn't the solos, it's the riffs. You should also be focusing on the drums as well. Dave Lombardo inspired a lot of metal drummers.