Hey guys,

I'll try and keep this as short as possible.
- I'm in an original 4 piece alternative rock band
- I'm the singer/rhythm guitarist

Okay so long story short. The band was a originally a 1 man band project that I did, I released two EPs and then got this band started starting off those songs. Now we are trying to write songs together for the first time, something I'm not use to at all but trying my best.

The other day the lead guitarist bought in a new song and I was excited to try it out and we got a song happening. But today I had a listen to it and well... I don't like it! It doesn't really fit into the style I built from the first two EPs and really doesn't feel like me at all. The song itself sounds very generic to me and doesn't feel original at all.

So the problem is...
The rest of the band love it, I do not. What do I do?
I've already explained to them that I don't like the song because it sounds over done and generic and they didnt take that so well.

Any advice would we wonderful,
thank you.
I also feel like I've made a mistake by not writing with these guys earlier.
We already played a fair few gigs together with just songs from my first two EPs
Quote by Sidthewriter
Sometimes in a band you have to concede to appease your band mates. I think your still coming from a solo mindset.

+1

You have to stop thinking of it as 'yours', it's become a group effort now and not everyone will be 100% happy with everything.

There are a few songs in my band's setlist that I don't really like, but I play them anyway. It's only when the whole band (or even a clear majority) doesn't like a song it becomes a problem.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Write more songs TS, right now only the other guys are writing new songs, and you're being a bit of a diva about it. If you like your songs, write more songs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Sidthewriter
Sometimes in a band you have to concede to appease your band mates. I think your still coming from a solo mindset.

+1

You don't want to be the guy that bitches about things, and gets kicked out of his own band.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Thanks guys, really useful stuff.
I really want the rest of the guys to help with the writing process along with writing new songs. Perhaps I am seeing it as solo point of view at the moment. I think I just need to adjust to having a band now.
But also, If I don't feel like there new songs are in the style of the rest of the work what should I do?
Quote by PunkRockerMatt
But also, If I don't feel like there new songs are in the style of the rest of the work what should I do?

**** the rest of the work if its good music its good music
if you all write toghether odds are the music you all write will not be in the same style of the rest of the work which was written by just you
Quote by PunkRockerMatt

THEN you be the guy who bitches about things and gets kicked out of his own band
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Mar 4, 2014,
Hahah ok fair enough, I understand.

1 last question tho, what if I don't think the song is good enough?
I guess I'd play it anyway?
Quote by PunkRockerMatt

Yes.

Or as you are now working as a team, suggest improvements. Make sure it's a suggestion though, don't dictate that your ideas are better than anyone else's. The rest of the band may think the song is good enough already and your idea will ruin it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Not all songs that a band write will make it onto albums, be played live etc.
Just write it, play it and see how it goes. Maybe the rest of your songs will blow it away and the band won't want it on the next album as it's not up to scratch.
Or maybe you'll play it live, get a great reaction and grow to love it.

The people that hear the song will tell you whether it's good.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by PunkRockerMatt

Bring it up with reasons why you think so and any suggestions you might have for changes.
How well it goes down depends on how you put it across and how precious they might be about their song.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by PunkRockerMatt

Yes. Have you got any ideas to improve the song? If not, you'll just play it.

You'll find over the course of a band songs will come and go, generally depending on (a) audience reaction and (b) boredom from playing the same songs over and over. If this song is not meant to be, it will disappear over time.

I'd like to also note that bands aren't particularly good at picking which of their songs are good or not. They're too close to the material to make an objective evaluation of it. Leave that part to the audience.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Thats a really good way to put it Alan. I guess it will fade if it doesn't work out well. I do have a few improvements to the song that I will mention. And your right about bands not knowing there best songs for example: my least favourite song on the EP ended up being most peoples favourite.

So yeah, I'm going to give this song another crack and take everything on board. Maybe I'll end up liking it. I think I was being a bit too negitive about it all and its just taking some time to adjust being in a band
"Hey guys I don't think this song really fit our style, maybe we should rewrite it. That riff could stay, but the rest not. If it will not help then we will put this on B-side."
Slash had to put up with Sweet Child Of Mine, and Frusciante had to put up with Under The Bridge. Suck it up.

(actually, John used to **** around big time when playing UTB live but he could get away with it and he was high 24/7)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
3/4 people like it. Maybe you just have bad taste.
Compromise, it could be a popular song.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
3/4 people like it. Maybe you just have bad taste.
Compromise, it could be a popular song.
alternative rock band
They all have bad taste.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Any song by an actual full band does not feel like one person per se, it should have something from each member; if you really don't like it because of a certain riff because it doesn't sound like you just keep playing it
Let the song develop. We always play around with our band's songs and they get their "final form" after some time. We notice which parts sound good and which don't and may come up with new parts or may decide to play one part some other way. Just give them some improvement ideas. It becomes your band's style if you just play it. And who says a band has to play just one style? Also, your band will always sound like your band. You will have your sound, even if you play different kinds of music.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
if they really like the song, then it probably is a decent song. maybe its just not a finished song. tell your guitar player that you are really starting to dig the song, but think it needs some more work, and work together on the song. that way you can make the song a little more "you"
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by PunkRockerMatt

ideally, everyone would be on the same page when it comes to "good music".

What I mean is that each song has an objective and a subjective quality to it. I guess I might be pretty conservative when it comes to songwriting, but if you analyze songs from experienced writers and compare them to songs from inexperienced writers, you will notice issues that are so big, they simply can't boil down to taste anymore.

If you feel that you only "dislike" the songs, then you have to come to terms wiht them and try to appreciate them but if you honestly think that they have actual flaws, then you should try to fix them and hope that everyone agrees.

When I encounter such issues with my band where I do most of the arrangements we try to have proper arguments and explain to each other how a certain change in the song affects the mood and the sound, resulting in everyone feeling confident in the song, even if they don't like it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Last edited by thorbor at Mar 21, 2014,