Hi guys,

I own an ESP Viper Standard in Jungle Green but I'm not particularly fond of it (acquired it through a trade). I can trade it for an Eggle Berlin from 1994, which apparently is a splendid guitar. I have no idea whether the trade is worth it. Any guitar guru out there who can shine some light on the deal?

Thanks

By the way, I'm trading it since the Viper isn't very versatile and I'm looking for versatility.
Yeah
Is the Viper a true ESP or an LTD? Also there are a few models to Eggle's Berlin body style range. Do you have any more specific information on which model it is?
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
If you are not sure on the trade, which I cannot give you any advice on, and still like the viper, then maybe do a pickup swap. The ESP line is very highly regarded and you should have no problem getting rid of it if you truly want to.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Yeah I considered that. The thing is: I also own a PRS Tremonti SE which I bought second hand for one eighth of the Viper's RRP, but I love it to death. I replaced the super crappy tuners and now I can play all day on it without it detuning. When I see the Tremonti I smile and think by myself 'Hot diggity-damn, that's one hell of a guitar' even though it's only a standard run-of-the-mill axe.

The Viper plays quite nice, but not really that much better than the Tremonti. It sounds nice, but once again, it's not that much of a difference compared against the Tremonti. The Eggle seems like a bit of an odd guitar, and quite rare, especially in the Netherlands. I also find it quite pretty: I need my guitars to be pretty or else I don't care about them. God I'm shallow.

I've also owned a Horizon (which I foolishly traded ;_; ) and a friend of mine owns an Eclipse, all Standard series, so I know how awesome these guitars are. I just can't seem to connect to the Viper. What's holding me off, is the risk that the Eggle might not measure up against the Viper in terms of playability. I don't care much for the price, since I buy guitars to play them, not to think 'amagad there's a 2k axe right there'. There's another guy in the Netherlands selling the very same Eggle model (different colour) and he's asking €800 for it, which is what the Viper would net me, were I to sell it. Argh, if ony I could just own both!

tl;dr: I want to know whether the Eggle is comparable quality-wise. It was hand-built in the UK by Mr Eggle himself, which is good. But how does a 1994 Eggle compare to a 2007 ESP Standard series Viper?
Yeah
The Eggle Berlin guitars produced during the 90's are supposed to be superior quality. Being the US I have never had my hands on one, but their reputation is solid. From what I know they would be equal to a pre mass production PRS. ESP guitars, in my opinion wee designed to do one thing and to do it very well. If it were me I would make the trade for the Eggle.
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
Yeah, I'm leaning towards just doing the deal. I've heard the same stories about the 90's Eggles. I will of course try out the guitar before I go ahead with the trade, but yeah, I figured I'd check with the guitar community before going ahead with it. I traded the Horizon which I never should have done, lol. Sometimes a check doesn't hurt.
Yeah
In terms of quality they should be similar (in fact the eggle might even be better, but i haven't tried any berlins). How much they're worth is the other thing- it depends on which exact berlin model it is (prices vary quite a bit depending on whether they're lower or higher models etc.) so you'd need to know what you're looking at. also condition is worth bearing in mind, too, with an older guitar like that.

have you checked out the eggle forum?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What exactly is another HH hardtail guitar going to do for you that the Viper isn't? I'm not getting how it would be any more versatile than the Viper.
Well, the pickup configuration is different, for starters. I could of course swap them out, but I feel no love for the guitar, you know?

I'll go check out the Eggle forum. Good tip, thanks!
Yeah
I just sold my Viper, so I know how you feel. Mine was an LTD, it was a good guitar but not my style.
Quote by TehDutchDude

I'll go check out the Eggle forum. Good tip, thanks!

No problem. They'll be able to give you a rough idea of the value of it, which model it is, etc. etc. They know a lot more about them than I do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?