I bought a B.C. Rich Bich NJ made in 84. I cant seem to find a whole lot of information about the specs of this guitar, other than that it was made in Japan in 1984. I dont know what wood the body is, but i want to replace the pickups since i just replaced the strings. I found a Chrome PRS JUNIOR Tune-O-Matic Bridge on ebay and im thinking of buying that to replace the bridge. I definitely DO NOT want a floyd rose. I want to put pickups that are good for metal (metalica, led zepellin, slayer, korn, etc..) but can also play jazz, blues, pop etc... I know that sounds like im asking for a perfect pickup but i did not list EMG 81-85's on here because i feel they are more geared towards metal and not much versatility. I am leaning towards the EMG 81/60 set. I have been reading around and heard the following are good pickup sets. i would prefer if people suggested sets:

1- SD JB in the bridge but idk what in the neck? maybe SD Jazz?
2- EMG 81/60 set
3- SD blackout AHB-1 in the bridge but idk what in the neck?
4- Bareknuckle holydiver in the bridge but idk what in the neck?
5- Dimarzio Liquifire/Crunchlab

P.S- The amp i plan on using is a VOX VALVETRONIX AD30VT 30 WATT GUITAR AMPLIFIER
Quote by cschneider154
I bought a B.C. Rich Bich NJ made in 84. I cant seem to find a whole lot of information about the specs of this guitar, other than that it was made in Japan in 1984. I dont know what wood the body is, but i want to replace the pickups since i just replaced the strings. I found a Chrome PRS JUNIOR Tune-O-Matic Bridge on ebay and im thinking of buying that to replace the bridge. I definitely DO NOT want a floyd rose. I want to put pickups that are good for metal (metalica, led zepellin, slayer, korn, etc..) but can also play jazz, blues, pop etc... I know that sounds like im asking for a perfect pickup but i did not list EMG 81-85's on here because i feel they are more geared towards metal and not much versatility. I am leaning towards the EMG 81/60 set. I have been reading around and heard the following are good pickup sets. i would prefer if people suggested sets:

1- SD JB in the bridge but idk what in the neck? maybe SD Jazz?
2- EMG 81/60 set
3- SD blackout AHB-1 in the bridge but idk what in the neck?
4- Bareknuckle holydiver in the bridge but idk what in the neck?
5- Dimarzio Liquifire/Crunchlab

P.S- The amp i plan on using is a VOX VALVETRONIX AD30VT 30 WATT GUITAR AMPLIFIER

Have a look at SD Black Winters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpLpuO-q-To
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Yeah but I felt the same way about the black winters as I did the emg 85. More designed towards metal and not Much else it seems like.
Quote by cschneider154
Yeah but I felt the same way about the black winters as I did the emg 85. More designed towards metal and not Much else it seems like.

You plan on playing them through a modeling amp, most of your high output pickups will sound the same through it. I have both the EMG's and Black Winters. One is active and one is passive so I wouldn't compare them to each other. The SD's are in my BC Rich Bich STQ and with all the tonal options on it, it covers a lot of ground. I play mostly metal with it but the cleans are great also. What did you play the Black Winters with?
[..BLACKFIRE..]
If you fear the Black Winters are too hot try SD Distortion. Black Winters are said to be Distoriton on steroids so Distortion might be exactly what you want. Just throwing this out there.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
probably option 1 or 4 i'd have thought
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Versatile pickup combos for hard rock/metal:

Neck : Seymour Duncan '59, Bridge : Seymour Duncan SH-4JB

Neck : RailHammer HyperVintage, Bridge : RailHammer Chisel

Neck : RailHammer Chisel, Bridge : RailHammer Chisel

Neck : RailHammer Chisel, Bridge : RailHammer Anvil

Neck : Tesla Opus-1, Bridge : Tesla VR-Extreme

Neck : Tesla VR-Extreme, Bridge : Tesla VR-Extreme

Neck : Tesla VR-Extreme, Bridge : Tesla Plasma 3

Neck : Lace Alumitone Deathbucker, Bridge : Lace Alumitone Deathbucker
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i posted on an other website too and im getting a lot of "put black winters in the bridge". What about the neck? Im suggested pairing the black winter with a 59 in the neck. Thoughts? or the full black winter set? Also does anyone have any experience with the bareknuckles? i was suggested a holydiver bridge and coldsweat neck
Last edited by cschneider154 at Mar 4, 2014,
If you get Bareknuckles, you want a calibrated set, you don't wanna mix different pickups, that's my experience.

I'd recommend either the Aftermath's or the Painkiller set. I actually went from a EMG 81 81 18 volt set up in my Squier to a Bareknuckle Painkiller and the Painkiller destroy the living crap out of the EMG's, it was night and day, course, a hell of alot tighter low end and mid spike, but I wanted that.

Bareknuckles are known for their clarity and unique voicing, which is hard to describe until you've actually played with them. Its kinda like an aggressive, roaring super clear punch you in the face type tone.
Never assume you have to have a "set" from the same manufacturer.

For best results, work outside that box.

For example, I like the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup a LOT for what you're doing, but I probably wouldn't consider the corresponding neck pickup. A lot of time a different voicing or output will actually work better.

I'd also stand clear of the "current fad" pickups. Black Winters fall into that category. If they *really* work better for you, fine. But don't buy them because a bunch of internet posters jump on the bandwagon. Sometimes consensus doesn't make sense.
I'd go 1 or 4 myself.

No such thing as a pickup "set" just whats popular. Companies push "sets" for the sole purpose of selling you 2 pickups instead of 1.
Quote by cheesefries
I'd go 1 or 4 myself.

No such thing as a pickup "set" just whats popular. Companies push "sets" for the sole purpose of selling you 2 pickups instead of 1.

If it was any other company yeah, but when it comes to Bareknuckles, as I've found, you want a calibrated set since the pickups are so differently voiced from each other.
SH-6/Jazz, SH-6/59
or get a dimarzio supersitortion/cruchlab
I love actives, and just the idea of having them in my guitar, the way they look and stuff.
But passives do sound much clearer and distinctiv.
So a high output/hot passive pickup will most likely do the trick.
I know people are going to hate me for saying this but EMGs are pretty versatile in my opinion. You could play metal on them or blues. Some players use EMGs to play blues.
Quote by Mf Andrew
I know people are going to hate me for saying this but EMGs are pretty versatile in my opinion. You could play metal on them or blues. Some players use EMGs to play blues.

You are somewhat right, but it's very very very VERY hard to do. I tried for years to get a good blues tone out of EMG's, but you can never get the warmth that passives have. But I did managed a very good contemporary clean tone out of them.
I love Dimarzios Super Distortions, my guitar shop recommended a BKP Holy diver set.

Now I like those, but they are a bit tame.

I have a BKP ceramic Blackhawk in the bridge and an old 2 wire dimarzio superII(not a super distortion btw) and this is by far the sounding combo I have.
They do hot,over driven and clean very well. Very balanced and clear.

I would recommend a BKP Blackhawk set with the ceramic bridge and Alnico5 neck.
What the hell!!!
Quote by cschneider154
i posted on an other website too and im getting a lot of "put black winters in the bridge".

which website?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah ok, thanks. I just wanted to check it wasn't a metal-orientated forum or something like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Black Winters are GREAT pickups but I would not call them versatile. The JB/'59 combo is much warmer and more versatile. I went from a JB/'59 set to Black Winters in my Eclipse. While I do not regret my decision at all, I do miss being able to get a wide variety of tones. The black Winters are a bit too trebly for that (although I love the treble when using them for metal tones).
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by Mf Andrew

I would have to agree with you... although I use mine for Metal / Hard Rock, Emg's are in more of my guitars 3 out of 5 of them to be exact 2 of which have the 81/85 combination they do not sound the same in every guitar, you can hear a tonal difference between my Dean Dime Razorback V and Jackson Kelly Professional and neither sound like my Ibanez which has EMG designed pickups in it. It's all personal preference... I see nothing "fan boy" about it if you find something that just works for you run with it! Good luck to TS, I'm only going to add that you may have to install a few sets or mix and match to get YOUR desired tone, when you finally hear it you'll probably put it in other guitars you get later.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Last edited by Ikillintel at Mar 6, 2014,
has anyone played the Alnico II Pro Slash APH-2? or dirty fingers?
Last edited by cschneider154 at Mar 7, 2014,
You should really check out the Dimarzio D activator set, best of both worlds. Theyre extremely versatile (especially if you coil split them like i did) and can handle all the distortion you put at them. VERY tight and crisp. I got the set and am VERY happy. Definite upgrade from the EMGs i had in it before
-Main Gear-
ESP Ltd V-401 + D Activator N&B
De Armond/Guild 2000 M72 Bluesbird w/ USA Toastertops
Peavey JSX & XXL
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Vertical 2x12
Airis Effects Savage Drive
Quote by ethan_hanus
If it was any other company yeah, but when it comes to Bareknuckles, as I've found, you want a calibrated set since the pickups are so differently voiced from each other.

I'll take your word about BNP. I've heard so many good things about them over the years.

Think I'll eventually get a Rebel Yell set sometime this year for my SG.
I've heard the good, the bad and the hype about BKPs, but when I found out that Steve Stevens actually uses the Rebel Yells he helped design in the Knaggs Steve Stevens sig- the production models AND the two he takes on tour- that decided me.

I will be getting some Rebel Yells for some guitar in the future. Possibly Stockholms, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by ethan_hanus
If you get Bareknuckles, you want a calibrated set, you don't wanna mix different pickups, that's my experience.

I'd recommend either the Aftermath's or the Painkiller set. I actually went from a EMG 81 81 18 volt set up in my Squier to a Bareknuckle Painkiller and the Painkiller destroy the living crap out of the EMG's, it was night and day, course, a hell of alot tighter low end and mid spike, but I wanted that.

Bareknuckles are known for their clarity and unique voicing, which is hard to describe until you've actually played with them. Its kinda like an aggressive, roaring super clear punch you in the face type tone.

if you have to match you calibration of a set of pickups to each other, THEY aren't doing their job. they should be decent enough to maintain compatibility.

also you don't want the bridge too hot and the neck to low. which i have done and swapped other guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/