Hi. Sorry if this question has already been asked previously but, how would I go about cleaning my Fender Strat's maple neck, to make it like brand new again. It seems to be coated with a thin layer of polymer plastic so I'm unsure what to do? I've attached some pictures that may help. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Put strings back on this guitar as soon as possible. Even when cleaning, you want at least a couple of strings on the neck to keep some tension.
Quote by Taz9
Put strings back on this guitar as soon as possible. Even when cleaning, you want at least a couple of strings on the neck to keep some tension.

That's a myth; if the guitar is good, that's unnecessary. Guitar necks are made to support stronger tensions than the ones generated by the strings.

I always remove all the strings at once to properly clean my guitars, and the necks are straight as an arrow since day one. A few years ago i bought a precision ruler specifically to measure neck bow, but apparently i didn't need to, since my guitars' necks don't move at all.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I agree if you do this quickly such as cleaning and restring, there's no worries. I had a strat in a case without any strings and it was unplayable after one week.

Maybe it's the climate too, I don't know, I always assumed it was the lack of tension.
Quote by Taz9
I agree if you do this quickly such as cleaning and restring, there's no worries. I had a strat in a case without any strings and it was unplayable after one week
I don't believe this, my Gibson V spent an entire summer (high humidity, high heat) without strings on it while I was doing various mods to it. And my Partscaster was completely disassembled for at least 2 years without any adverse effects. Both guitars play excellently and haven't had their necks tweaked in years.

Cleaning the neck, you can use anything you would put on the guitar's body since they have the same finish. Questions like these about maple fretboards are asked quite a bit actually, I don't know why guitarists are so paranoid about maple
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by ryan2t69
Hi. Sorry if this question has already been asked previously but, how would I go about cleaning my Fender Strat's maple neck, to make it like brand new again. It seems to be coated with a thin layer of polymer plastic so I'm unsure what to do? I've attached some pictures that may help. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Leave the thin layer alone. That's the fretboard Poly finish. Maple necks/fretboards need that protection. Just wipe it down with a damp, then dry cloth the next time you re-string.
I don't believe this

You don't have to believe it... it happened
I always remove all the strings when I restring a guitar. I normally use the opportunity to clean the fretboard. None of my guitars have ever suffered because of it in all my 30+ years of playing. Sounds to me like you had a guitar with a neck made from pinus radiata or some other worthless crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I always remove all the strings when I restring a guitar. I normally use the opportunity to clean the fretboard. None of my guitars have ever suffered because of it in all my 30+ years of playing. Sounds to me like you had a guitar with a neck made from pinus radiata or some other worthless crap.

This.
I started playing in the early 80's and while the number of guitars I have had is small compared to some here (30 or so over that time), I have never had that problem. EVER.
You just had a poorly made neck.
Hell, I have an older BC Rich (Strat style) that's been in pieces in my garage for the last 3+ years and the neck is still fine.

Ever hear of Warmoth?
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=1&Shape=1&Path=Strat
I highly doubt they store those with strings mounted on them.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Mar 4, 2014,
Recommended threads
haha PEEPS!
sasquatch ass
Last post:
by itsxsteves