I'm currently stuck in a rut when it comes to writing my music. My music all sounds the same, and not in a good way. I'm only writing songs that are fast and are just jammed with many notes, without any stops and barely any bent or sustained notes. They're also all either 140 or 160 bpm. That's what just seems to come out of my head, but that's not necessarily what I want to write/play.

I feel as if I lost my motivation, so I'm just writing low-quality crap. I hope some of you can relate.

Does anyone have any advice to help break this rut?
I was there a few days ago with lyrics, it kept coming to the same old verses; so I stopped listening to what I was at the moment. Took a break from guitar for a day. Picked up the pen and guitar awhile later and just let new stuff flow. I suggest take your guitar to a different environment, or play with some people you don't usually play/write with for a day if anything.
listen to new music, or read a new book or watch a movie.

when i get stuck in a rut, it's usually because things have gotten too routine for me.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by INURAH
I'm currently stuck in a rut when it comes to writing my music. My music all sounds the same, and not in a good way. I'm only writing songs that are fast and are just jammed with many notes, without any stops and barely any bent or sustained notes. They're also all either 140 or 160 bpm. That's what just seems to come out of my head, but that's not necessarily what I want to write/play.

I feel as if I lost my motivation, so I'm just writing low-quality crap. I hope some of you can relate.

Does anyone have any advice to help break this rut?

Do something new. Take all the things you normally do, and write the opposite way. Learn something that you don't already know, and find a way to integrate that into your writing. It may be something with theory, it may be a different style, whatever - learning something new is a great way to break a rut.

Best,

Sean