So, I've been a fan of having a work out partner for exercise. Less likely you'll flake, right?

I was wondering about something along those line for guitar practice. Between work and family and stuff, I can probably play / practice 45 minutes each weekday and maybe twice that on weekends. But what I inevitably do is just pick up the guitar and noodle, improvising chords or soloing in minor or major scale or related mode, or maybe play through some chord progressions of songs I have learned.

I tend not to do any kind of regimented exercise, like a sweep picking exercise. I also tend not to stick with a song to learn the WHOLE thing the right way, instead, I learn the chord progression and maybe a riff here or there, but not note-for-note which would probably really stretch my skills and understanding. I also would like to learn to read music rather than tabs, quickly and easily, but I don't work on that.

Well, I know if I buckled down, I could organize a practice routine that helped me advance a lot faster than I'm doing now. But by myself, I'm kind of unmotivated.

I suppose you might say this is where a guitar instructor comes in. But the thing is, I've found the instructors I've gone to don't say anything I can't find in any of the guitar books I've got or online. I don't need them to tell me what to practice, or even how to practice it, it's more like I'd be paying them just so I felt the need to practice so as not to feel guilty when I go in for my next lesson.

It seems to me I could save that money I'd spend on an instructor and just have a guitar practice / work out buddy, maybe in the same boat as me, and we could provide each other with the skills and exercises we know we "should" be working on regularly, and then we check in weekly or something, write each other an e-mail or private message listing how well we stuck to the exercises. Maybe sometimes send out a mid-week message like, "How's it going with the practicing? Don't flake!"

Another possible benefit or way this could work, is we might each have a piece we are working on, and record it and the other would listen to it and tell us objectively what we should be working on -- timing, intonation, slides, bends, etc. -- so we are working on our weakest areas. Otherwise, if you're like me, when you do practice skills, you probably find some skills more fun to practice and those are the ones you'll gravitate to.

This buddy could be a total stranger living halfway around the world, all you really need is to be able to contact them regularly via e-mail (or PM on this site) and to every so often share a piece with them to show your progress. In fact, it is probably best this person not be a relative, friend or whatever, so you get more honest feedback.

Well, the fact I'm even proposing this tells me, perhaps, I'm one hell of a lazy and unmotivated sack o' sh*t that I can see pretty clearly what I should be doing, yet still fail to suck it up and do it.

So, basically, what I envision is that, in lieu of a guitar teacher and student, you have a pair of reciprocal practice monitors, each sort of "policing" the other's practicing and trying to crack the whip on them if they are flaking. Of course, there's no real "teeth" to it, it's not like they can ground you, fine you, or whatever if you do flake, but again the theory is that having another person aware of your flaking can tend to help you not flake, out of self-respect or whatever.

Well, just a thought.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
I like the thought of it as well I'm just too shy to play to some random person still lol
Jet City JCA22h> Avatar 212
Schecter Damien Solo Elite
Epiphone Les Paul 1960s Tribute Plus
This is actually a wonderful idea. Having a practice buddy really does make a difference, especialy when you're going through a rough patch. It's even better if you tend to enjoy the same genres and make a committment to learn a song and then play it together once in awhile.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
Cool idea. I think it'd be beneficial for both parties if you were of similar age and into similar music however.
Yea, I like this idea too. I know I could benefit from it since not many of my friends in town play the guitar much.
I'm in for this
who wants to practice ?
22 years old, likes all kind of rock, but I'm lazy when I practice on my own
So some motivation would be really cool !

if someone is up to it, just pm me!
I'm from Belgium btw, so it would also be cool for me to meet the people behind the usernames, wherever they are located.
Last edited by d_imitri at Mar 5, 2014,
I'm into metal, if someone want to discus about that stuff, share ideas, exercises, songs, theory talk ect, PM me, so we can share ideas through skype or whatever, and help each other become better players.
Well, my style is alt rock / indie rock / classic rock. I think that trying to nail a rock song in a very authentic way, including solos, would help me progress in a lot of areas that need improvement. Maybe Rolling Stones or GNR or Pink Floyd or the Who. One way this might work is if some one else wants to try learning the same song, and we can share our takes weekly, and share ideas on what we think the other person needs to focus on to improve, crack the whip on daily practice, and such. I guess if more than one person wants to pick a song and participant in a weekly sharing / critiquing / motivating that could work, too.

Another possibility is to pick a skill like sweep picking, find some good exercises, and then touch bases weekly telling each other how often we have done the exercise, what speed we are up to without error (assuming we are practicing with metronome, as we should), and possibly sharing recordings so the other person can hear our progress (and we cannot b.s. on our progress).

Ken
I'm into mostly game music (Touhou) , power metal ( demetori, Versailles) and modern rock/jrock (IOSYS, Scandal, Paramore) sort of stuff. Probably high beginner, very low intermediate, so if anyone wants to do that sort of stuff hmu.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Gretsch G5120
It sounds like a great idea. I'd do it only...

Quote by terminator44
I like the thought of it as well I'm just too shy to play to some random person still lol

Plus it is some random guy on the web (no offence)
So, I think it could work like this:
- 1. people post that they are interested in this, and the genres they are working on developing, in this thread

- 2. anyone who sees that and wants to do this, too, and has similar interests, can message them to offer to pair up

- 3. then they work out a day of the week to correspond, giving a status report / summary of what they've done the prior week, which may or may not include an audio sample (up to them).

- 4. I think you'd start initially -- before the first week is up -- identifying for the other person what technical skill(s) or theory or whatever you are really trying to nail at the moment, and what the exercises / steps you are going to take to do that (how much time, how many days per week, what exercises). Telling some one else what you plan to do, and forcing yourself to write it out in specifics, and knowing you'll be checking in after a week with how you did, MIGHT lead to more diligent and focused practice. And probably with each weekly communication, in addition to laying out what you've done, you can lay out what you plan to do in the coming week, so this is sort of a running thing you are doing.

- 5. The other person MIGHT want to give feedback on any of this, tell you if they hear improvement, tell you if your lesson plan seems good, recommend lessons that might help you with what you want to achieve, etc. But really, that's all optional because it is just the fact you are reporting to some one that probably will help you stay more diligent, even if their only response is, "got it, looks good." So how much you put into responding to the other person's work is up to you, but really you don't have to do much, the people really need to focus on reporting what they want to do, and then what they have done, on a regular basis to another person. That's the gist of it.

I don't really get the shyness thing. I mean, if you don't want to do it, that's cool, does not matter if it's because your shy, busy, egotistical or what your reason is, it's a free country. However, it's not like you are trying to date the person. They probably live thousands of miles away, and you will never ever see them in your life. It would seem in some ways more liberating than sharing your playing skills with family / friends and dealing with the whole issue of them trying not to hurt your feelings and stuff. It's not like you can get "rejected." If they flake on their part, that's their issue, it's not like they did it because they don't think you're cute enough to take to prom. I mean, who really cares what they think about your playing? Does their opinion make you a better or worse player? You are what you are no matter what they think. If you can't play for other people, what's really the point of learning guitar at all?

Ken
It's also another person to play with, which is particularly important for people who don't know anyone who plays irl
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Gretsch G5120
Ok, I'll try again, with upgrade info. I'm mostly into metal, working on Lamb of god, metallica, megadeth, some All that remains songs at the moment. And also some classical pieces (vivaldi 4 seasons). Working on composing, and improving technique in general (a.p, sweeping, tapping etc.). I worship Loomis and A.James, but I am not able to play their stuff, of course, but that's kinda my goal, neoclassical stuff and similar music. I am open to colaboration.
battlespud:

I'm not sure it's really some one to play with, as in simultaneously. Setting up an online jam would be a bit more complicated, but doable. Actually, maybe having the weekly "checking in" would be easier via some kind of video-chap, Skype, whatever...then the two people could just say what they've been working on, how diligent they were, if they flaked maybe explain why, and say what they plan to do in the coming week, without having to type it all out...and then if it seems appropriate/helpful, they could play live what they are trying to do, a song or exercise so the other person can see/hear them and offer feedback. Then it would be the other person's turn. So for those who don't like typing, that might be good, could be alternative to e-mails or messaging. Some might do a combination (e-mailing/messaging weekly, but then doing a video-chat every 4th week to check in in real-time).

A reminder, it does not matter if the other person is a worse guitarist than you. They are not your teacher, just some one you check in with to help keep you on task, and if they can offer any helpful advice that's just gravy.

Metal is one genre I am definitely NOT into, which will probably rule out a lot of UG people pairing up with me. I like distorted alt rock and modern rock and classic rock where bands create a unique tone, not too muddy or too harsh. I also dig jam bands, electronica, ambient guitar, new flamenco/world, blues, jazz, classical, but at the moment I am focusing on distorted lead guitar, like for hard rock or alt rock. It would probably suit me well to focus on nailing a Rolling Stones song, Zeppelin song or Pink Floyd song at the moment, something with a challenging solo. Then maybe work on something a bit different like a classic alt rock song (Dramarama's Last Cigarette comes to mind). Then maybe a punk song or some modern indie song. I like variety, keeping this interesting. For technical skills, I think I'd get a lot from learning sweep picking, not sure if there's any classic rock solos that would be particularly well-suited for learning sweep picking technique (?)

Ken
Quote by kimi_page
Ok, I'll try again, with upgrade info. I'm mostly into metal, working on Lamb of god, metallica, megadeth, some All that remains songs at the moment. And also some classical pieces (vivaldi 4 seasons). Working on composing, and improving technique in general (a.p, sweeping, tapping etc.). I worship Loomis and A.James, but I am not able to play their stuff, of course, but that's kinda my goal, neoclassical stuff and similar music. I am open to colaboration.

pm'd
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

This is a great concept, I was thinking of finding a guitar buddy in person locally by posting on Craigslist. Never thought of doing this online. I need some accountability but can't afford lessons My biggest problem is that there aew so many areas to focus on i have trouble setting goals. I totally relate to the "noodling" squandering precious practice time - I feel like I' m driving the same few roads in circles while a whole world of paths are out there for me to discover. maybe I'm tired after work and tske the low hanging fruit (what I know) rather than stretch into uncomfortable places where my skills are undeveloped. Having guitar buddy would help force me to declare goals and give me a reason and motivation to stick with them. I'm in! Are ee biilding a thread on this site entitled GUITAR BUDDY SEARCH or does anybody have a good idea for where one would find out about yhis so they can post their "profile?"
hard part would be finding a way to play together with no latency!
From experience, using Skype with digital out to a surround sound system (assuming the signal has already been processed by a pod or something) works pretty much fine as long as your internet and laptop are decent.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Gretsch G5120
I have thought of this thru skype. Would be alot of fun. I figured there were people already doing it. The sound quality would probably suck unless you had all the right cords and software. I would like to be apart of this. I will need my daughter's help setting it up, but am eager.
I've always wanted to do this to motivate me more but I too, am kinda nervous to play with someone, especially if they are better then me lol. Id feel like I'm just slowing them down.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
People should try this more often!

Practicing with other players improves confidence and skills.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
Last edited by Paul Bright at Apr 7, 2014,
Whatever moves your playing forward.
Playing with people who play better than you, or have things they know that you do not is a great technique.