Hey uggers, how ya doin?

I have a love/hate relationship with the instrument that I play.

I play guitar for about 7 years now and I’m struggling with it as ever. The thing is, my basic goal is to reach a certain level of content I see players as Jimi having, a flow with the guitar that taps into your pure and true self. That for me, above anything, is music. Not the orderly fashions of pop necessarily is something I want my music to be dictated by. Those moments when I do reach the “open space” are usually though when I’m playing with band members that understand me musically, but this usually never happens when I’m playing by myself. So I feel there is something wrong with me, but I also believe in this philosophy I have in music so it’s hard for me to pinpoint what it exactly is that I feel is “wrong” with me.

This anybody recognise this in any way? Feel free to discuss
Do you speak to yourself? Learn to talk to yourself, have a conversation, not with the guitar, just words. Then try it with the guitar, see if you can understand it and emote you to yourself and go from there. I sound crazy, probably am. Oh well
Quote by Jyuuga
Hey uggers, how ya doin?

I play guitar for about 7 years now and I’m struggling with it as ever. The thing is, my basic goal is to reach a certain level of content I see players as Jimi having, a flow with the guitar that taps into your pure and true self. That for me, above anything, is music. Not the orderly fashions of pop necessarily is something I want my music to be dictated by. Those moments when I do reach the “open space” are usually though when I’m playing with band members that understand me musically, but this usually never happens when I’m playing by myself. So I feel there is something wrong with me, but I also believe in this philosophy I have in music so it’s hard for me to pinpoint what it exactly is that I feel is “wrong” with me.

Develop all your skill sets so that you are intimately connected to your music. Can you think of a melody and then play it on the spot with your guitar? Can you think of the sounds of a song in your head and find the chords on the guitar?

If not, theres' a disconnect. How can you expect to reach that state, when you have that kind of disconnect within your own skill sets? Am I making sense? It takes work, commitment and dedication to build skills, they don't happen by osmosis, but by determination and commitment to doing things right.

Best,

Sean
Thanks you all! I will try talking to myself, haven't tried that, I think thats a great idea. And I don't know Sean, you're making a lot of sense but I just want to express myself purely and forget all the rules.. I probably should study the greats more, because they're speaking through music ofcourse, and it's like a language. It really helps a lot because it puts me back on the right track to be determined and committed, like you said.
Im struggling with this kind of thing too.

I feel like I have all these parts and bits I know and can play but theres something "missing" and I cant create something thats personal to me.

That and it never sounds how I want it too.
Quote by Jyuuga
Thanks you all! I will try talking to myself, haven't tried that, I think thats a great idea. And I don't know Sean, you're making a lot of sense but I just want to express myself purely and forget all the rules.. I probably should study the greats more, because they're speaking through music ofcourse, and it's like a language. It really helps a lot because it puts me back on the right track to be determined and committed, like you said.

What rules? There are none. To express youself purely you need to understand how to make the sounds you want and you need to be able to do that as second nature.

That's years of playing\learning right there.
Quote by Jyuuga

It is just like a language, and to be good at speaking a language you have to understand the language well enough to express yourself the way you want to. Knowing more about the language gives you more options. A larger vocabulary gives you more ways to say what you want to say, and a better understanding of how sentences fit together help you to say things more eloquently.

There aren't really any rules to music. Theory just helps you to understand the way chords and notes work together. Once you know how that works, it still just comes down to your ear, which I think is something that you will always be able to improve on.
Quote by Jyuuga
And I don't know Sean, you're making a lot of sense but I just want to express myself purely and forget all the rules.

Well, how's that working out for you, so far?

To me your response is like saying, "I don't know, I want to drive to this place, but I don't want to use rules, like roads, and signs, and traffic indicators, I just want to get into my car and drive, you know... be free, why let a curb hold me back, when there's a neighbors yard I could go through, then just saw west through peoples yards, homes and flowerbeds till I get where it feels right?"

"I don't know, you see, I don't really want to learn things like spelling, grammar and punctuation, I just want to write, whatever comes to my mind, just write...it can resemble anything that my mind wants it to when it touches the paper...it doesn't need to make sense, resemble anything as an alphabetic character or be clear, I'm not going to constrain myself to legible expression, I wanna be free".

Best,

Sean
Why improvising with a band feels easier is because the way the other guys play gives you more ideas. When you are alone, there's nobody to give you those ideas. Nothing may inspire you. I agree that it's easier to improvise with a band because there's usually some kind of connection between the members. When you start playing, the other guys listen to your playing and react to your ideas. If you just play over a backing track, there's no connection with anything.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Jyuuga
Hey uggers, how ya doin?

youtube.com/watch?v=5kcJ2d-hOyg

youtube.com/watch?v=y0aWs4Yg6XI

and go from there (more in side bar)...

hope it helps!
Quote by Sean0913
Well, how's that working out for you, so far?

To me your response is like saying, "I don't know, I want to drive to this place, but I don't want to use rules, like roads, and signs, and traffic indicators, I just want to get into my car and drive, you know... be free, why let a curb hold me back, when there's a neighbors yard I could go through, then just saw west through peoples yards, homes and flowerbeds till I get where it feels right?"

"I don't know, you see, I don't really want to learn things like spelling, grammar and punctuation, I just want to write, whatever comes to my mind, just write...it can resemble anything that my mind wants it to when it touches the paper...it doesn't need to make sense, resemble anything as an alphabetic character or be clear, I'm not going to constrain myself to legible expression, I wanna be free".

Best,

Sean

I found your metaphors quite hilarious, but you're right, that was what I was saying basically. What I tried lately is make up a melody in my head and then play it, and it felt right away a lot more inspired, though it's still hard I have a new goal and that is just staying in the flow; staying in the rhythm of whatever is I want to jam to.

But yeah, I'm studying licks, phrases from other players now it's a blast to learn, a lot of fun.

All other guys thanks for the replies, I found truth and comfort in all of them.

Cheers, peace and love.
If you want to stay in the rhythm/flow or whatever you want to call it, start playing along to metronomes or backing tracks so you learn to play in time.

If you know your scales (learn the minor pentatonic, blues scale, and major pentatonic first), and can play in time, you'll be fine.
It's really that simple. Learn how to bend properly and apply some nice vibrato to notes, and you'll be flying.

After you learn those basic positions and can play them in time, you can learn more positions around the fretboard for those scales to increase how much of the fretboard you control.

Your philosophy is a perfectly valid one - it's one a lot of people share - unfortunately in music, the only way you can express yourself and have it sound good, is by learning to play the instrument, in key and in time. Otherwise, it's just senseless crap that nobody wants to hear (you included, hence why you made this topic).
Use those tools to express yourself. Learning comes first. Expression last.