Basically the title.

Do you prefer smaller, club shows where you may see a smaller band, but you get closer and a generally more intimate atmosphere and experience?

Or do you prefer larger stadium concerts, where you probably see more popular artists, and are with a much larger number of people, in a more open experience?

I personaly prefer the smaller club shows. This weekend I saw Between the Buried and Me with opening bands The Kindred, Intronaut, and Deafheaven. Definitely the best concert experience I've ever had, beating out Rush and Aerosmith stadium shows.

What do you prefer, Pit?
Bathroom shows

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Last edited by caeser1156 at Mar 4, 2014,
Quote by caeser1156
Bathroom shows

up
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Definitely small shows for me. Years ago I saw Radiohead at a tiny little club and I was so close Thom Yorke's singspittle was hitting me...it was glorious! At smaller shows you can actually meet/badger the band sometimes too. Arena shows are fun sometimes but I always prefer smaller clubs
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
pubs and clubs. Nothing gives that personal feel like that. plus a wall of amps crowded into a corner of a pub stage leads to one hell of a heavy experience

and you get to really interact with the artist. unless it's classical/a performance work, large venues don't cut it
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Club shows.
I also enjoy big stadium shows, but club shows are way better. Club shows only have the people who really like the band, who desperately want to see them and who just love to interact and go with the music.
Stadium shows mostly consist of people who will be like ,, oooh look, I've seen (insert big band).''
Like..I really love Rammstein and they put on an amazing performance, but the concerts still are terrible - the lights go out and one second later it's pretty much just as bright as before, because all the d-bags have their phones out so they can show off to the world. I hate that.
Error 404 - Signature not available.
Depends.

Sometimes great small shows such as The Wonder Years, Set Your Goals etc. are really fun getting involved.

Other times I've seen Muse, Taylor Swift, and been a lot less active and just sat back and enjoyed the big stage show which is also really good.

Seeing an Arena level band like Fall Out Boy in a really small venue is super cool though.
Quote by C.Burnzy
Basically the title.

Do you prefer smaller, club shows where you may see a smaller band, but you get closer and a generally more intimate atmosphere and experience?

Or do you prefer larger stadium concerts, where you probably see more popular artists, and are with a much larger number of people, in a more open experience?

I personaly prefer the smaller club shows. This weekend I saw Between the Buried and Me with opening bands The Kindred, Intronaut, and Deafheaven. Definitely the best concert experience I've ever had, beating out Rush and Aerosmith stadium shows.

What do you prefer, Pit?

They all have their places. I've yet to see a good bar band though, but I'm only 19 so just recently legal. I've seen Slash and Black Label Society at smaller venues, bigger than bars, smaller than arena's, and those were awesome, in your face shows.

I've seen RHCP and Muse in stadiums, and while the show itself is awesome, it was hindered by shitty seats (example: why the **** was their seats on floor at RHCP?).

My favourite are outdoor shows, but I think that's because the ones we have are unique compared to your typical festival. It's a fairly small population on east coast Canada, so typically once a year the city of Moncton would bring in just one big rock act, and basically the entire east coast would show up. These include the Rolling Stones, Eagles, ACDC, U2, and most recently Bruce Springsteen.

While Springsteen is considered a "failure" compared to the other shows (Stones/ACDC both brought in over 90 thousand), It felt as intimate as any small show I've been too. Hot Canadian summer night, 3 1/2 hours of music, it was an amazing show.

ACDC still remains the top show though. with 85 thousand people confirmed purchases then having to open the doors to avoid injuries, it was a hot, crowded, loud, rock n roll show.
Club shows for sure. Arena shows can be alright, but eh, club shows are more intimate I guess. Works better for most types of music.
banned
Overall I would say small shows. Generally at stadium shows there's no ideal location where you can see everything and hear everything perfectly, while at small shows you can move easily where you want. I would rather just stay home and listen to albums than go to most stadium shows, unless of course the band has an elaborate stage show that takes advantage of all the space (Alice Cooper etc). But if the dudes are just going to stand there and play old songs I'm not interested in the high ticket price and limited visibility.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Never been to a stadium show, but I can't imagine I'd enjoy it very much.
Check out my band Disturbed
To answer your question, I much prefer bars. You aren't designated to a seat, meaning you can dance your booty off.
However, if you wanna get a drink or take a piss, you have lost your dancing spot forever. And if you were up front, man does that feeling suck.

I've been to 4 arena shows: Bruce Springsteen, RHCP, and Dispatch twice. They were all good, but I just didn't feel connected at all. I couldn't feel the music. I just watched some little tiny people play it from far away. Not to mention the acoustics SUCKED.
Honestly, RHCP was the worst concert I've ever been to. Not because they played badly, but because I couldn't understand one note that was coming from Josh Klinghoffer's guitar. It would just bounce off everything and sound like dsagfbdilfbradvludf va.

However, the best experiences of my life were at bar shows. Dacning my ass off, happy moshing.
Dopapod, Tera Melos, This Town Needs Guns, Fungus Amongus, El Ten Eleven...I learned so much about music from going to those shows. They inspired me unlike any other bands I've ever seen, because I was close and taking in the energy that they put out, then gave it back to them with my groovin'.

However, I've seen Dave Matthews Band probably 4 or 5 times, and he plays in those big Comcast Center outdoor feild/arena things.
Now, every show I saw him, I was blown away. Those venues weren't quite as big as arenas and they sounded great. Heck, my drummer saw DMB with me, we were pretty far away, but he said the concert changed his life and perspective of music.
Last edited by SunshineMusicO at Mar 4, 2014,
Small most def. seen plenty of bands like this and it was much better

I saw Tool live and it was maybe ~30-40k people and they had seats ground level too. lame.
pinga
House shows beat all of them!
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
I've been in both and I like the large stadium shows better. There is nothing like sitting and grooving in a huge crowd. It is a rush feeling.

ron666
Few of the artists I listen to play in stadiums, so I go to small venues by default. I prefer a small, indoor venue anyway.
I have found a negative correlation between venue size and concert enjoyability
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Only band I've seen at a stadium was Radiohead and that was really good cause it was Radiohead. As long as I like the music I'm fine with whatever venue.
My first arena/stadium show is the Kings of Leon/Local Natives one at the Forum in March, so I cannot really make a judgement yet.

Though I can say I liked the middle-sized feel of theatres. When I saw Velvet Revolver at the Wiltern, it felt like a good mix of personal and distance.

Fests are kewl 2
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by captainsnazz
basements

best me to it

basements

no lights

big system

Basically there's a night called System that Mala and Vivek run and it's perfect so everyone else's dibby dibby shows can **** off
I don't really go to many live music shows as I prefer listening to recorded music (plus I get to listen to what I actually want to watch). The last arena show I saw (If I see shows they are in a small venue or Club) was Kanye West in 2006 (I was chaperoning my sister) and I vowed I would never go to another.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Get in the first or second row and it really doesn't matter much...the performers are the same distance from you in either case.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Overall I prefer smaller shows. A few years back I saw Children Of Bodom in a really small place and it was an amazing show, much better than when I've seen them at bigger shows. Big festivals are fun too though, I like both.
club or any small/medium sized venue
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by willT08
best me to it

basements

no lights

big system

Basically there's a night called System that Mala and Vivek run and it's perfect so everyone else's dibby dibby shows can **** off

I have read in the paper that the biggest trend is for people to rent out their living rooms and invite a small group of people and hire musicians to perform. This was big in the 17th century and was called "parlour music."

I would rent out my house, but I am afraid that people would start drinking and then everything would go "out of control." Basically my house could end up being destroyed.

But to return to the topic, some groups do entire tours where all they do is go from one living room party to the next. So there might be some income in this area.

Another step up from this is to have a neighbourhood party, where the entire block organizes an event, ropes off a section of street, and the musicians perform. This would be larger than a "living room" party, but smaller than a pub/club and it is a hassle because you would need a permit and the cops would have to be notified because of noise issues.

ron666
I like bars more.

-Its more personal between the band and the crowd
-Beer
-Chance of meeting some qt pies
Sail upon the open skies