Power Chord Progressions?

I'm trying to learn how to right my own metal riffs and such, and I'd like to *Attempt* to solo over them, however, when I sit down to make a riff I just grab my guitar and go, and of course, w/out knowing the key your in and having no ear-training, I don't know what scale to *try* solo on.

Can anybody help me out? I don't understand the whole I-IV-V thing, if that's even right. I'm completely self-taught and Don't understand theory for shit, because I simply CANNOT find a good source to learn it all from. Absolutely none of it makes any type of sense to me, or I find a place that starts off w/ baby-steps, and I learn that stuff super easy, then Chapter 2 it tosses me right into fire w/ crazy shit like: "Modal octaves arpeggios on c7^a0w4i-q2w while playing the 25th super-major but kinda minor root."

tl;dr: I need to learn Chord Progressions.
If anything, give me a good source to learn some theory. Thanks!
Quote by seventh_angel
This is not the place to post this. Our forum is solely to post lyrics, poetry, or any other writing form.

Moved to Musician Talk

My fault man. I don't really come to online threads, only when I'm desperate. I really don't know where or when to post.

User Friendly tip: Make less thread areas, I swear no matter where I post, I get told by someone its the wrong place. I understand that its 90% my fault, but still.
Listen to random non-guitar music and try playing over them. You can form some sort of melody that goes along with the track like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64xji2BEADE

Eventually you divert further and further away from the initial melody until you form something that has a cool enough melody that holds it's own.

This is just how I practice anyway. Listening to my recorded riffs over and over...
Quote by Phazon
Listen to random non-guitar music and try playing over them. You can form some sort of melody that goes along with the track like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64xji2BEADE

Eventually you divert further and further away from the initial melody until you form something that has a cool enough melody that holds it's own.

This is just how I practice anyway. Listening to my recorded riffs over and over...

Hmm... Never thought of that. I've definitely tried backing tracks, but never tried on-guitar music. I'll have top try that. Thanks, man!