i own a BC Rich Bich NJ from 1984 and im about to upgrade the pickups. I plan on getting blackouts so i need an amp that will handle it good. I currently was planning on using a VOX VALVETRONIX AD30VT 30 WATT GUITAR AMPLIFIER but was told that i should upgrade that. I found that amp for $120 so i would like to find a 30watt minimum under $300 if thats possible.
Last edited by cschneider154 at Mar 4, 2014,
Why 30W? A metal amp can't be too big but it can be too small.

Peavey 6505+ is what you want but even used you'll need to front up some more cash than that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 4, 2014,
well i live in an appartment so i honestly wont ever really be able to play it on full blast like i can when i go back home. Plus i dont really like playing with headphones.
Buy a Wampler Triple Wreck pedal and call it a day. You need to save up more money for an amp imo.
Quote by cschneider154
well i live in an appartment so i honestly wont ever really be able to play it on full blast like i can when i go back home. Plus i dont really like playing with headphones.

Big amps have volume knobs, you know. Most good sounding metal amps are high wattage. With a budget like that though, I'd try for as big a Peavey Vypyr as I could find.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Metal does not use power amp distortion, it all comes from the preamp. You don't crank the volume, that's not how they work. If you find yourself diming a metal amp's volume, you bought the wrong amp. That's why metal amps have such huge power amps. It isn't to sound loud, it's to keep the power amp running clean.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 4, 2014,
well ok ill admit that i bought this guitar for a gift for someone so i actually dont know a whole lot about guitars myself. i heard i can spend $150 on a peavey bandit 100 watt and then another $150 on a MXR EQ and that would be pretty solid.
Well the Bandit and a decent distortion pedal would certainly be a big improvement on what you are thinking of. As much as I dislike Bandits, they shit all over any Valvestate or SS Laney.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
you can find the old version of the Peavey Valveking dirt cheap and slap an overdrive in front of it. that will get you a fairly decent metal sound at low volumes. I practice with mine and don't piss anyone off.
Peavey Vypyr Tube. That'll be awesome bedroom amp for metal, with enough power to play with others if you ever want to.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Peavey Vypyr. I've got the 60W tube combo. Very versatile amp. Never really played with the smaller SS versions, though. It's not going to sound exactly like a Diezel VH4 or whatever, but there's a reason it's a tenth of the price. Super easy to use, and personally, it kind of helped me figure out what I wanted out of an amp and what effects I actually used. It helped me focus my tone. It's pretty good at bedroom volume. If you really take the time to dial it in, it sounds really good for what you're paying.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
should i just drop the real money and get a PEAVEY VYPYR 100 MODELING GUITAR AMP 2 X 12 SPEAKERS 100 WATTS for $275?
No, you should get a Vypyr Tube. Far superior amp.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Considering your budget, I also think the Vyper tube 60 is your best bet.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000