So, let me just cut to the chase. I just got my new Jet City JCA50H head. Its awesome, and its also my first tube amp. So here's the deal:
I use the hi gain channel for rhytm playing, the crunch chanel for cleans, so that leaves me without a lead channel. So, i figure i will get a overdrive or a boost pedal so that i can use it on the hi gain channel to be able to solo. Now, being new to this tube amp stuff, i have no idea what to get. Do i need an overdrive pedal or a boost? Maybe even a distortion pedal? What are some good and afordable pedals like this (i pretty much only know the tubescreamer). Will it just increase my gain, or will it also make it louder? Should i put it in front of the amp or in the effects loop? I'm playing around with my Zoom G3 multieffect, that has some overdrive pedal models in it, but im guessing they dont really act like the real thing. I'm kinda at a loss here, so any help would be apreciated.

Thank you very much!

EDIT: oh yeah, i play metal/metalcore/thrash/whatever on it, so keep that in mind.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Mar 4, 2014,
It depends on what you need to do. I'd even suggest both; put a clean boost in the loop for volume increase and a tube screamer in the main path. In front of the amp and on the hi gain channel both will add more gain.

Either way, definitely no in regards to a distortion pedal in this case.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Mar 4, 2014,
get an overdrive. they can be used as a boostas well, it's all about how you have it set. there are some overdrives with a separate boost function as well.
i read that the zakk wylde overdrive pedal boosts your tone, but i haven't tried one
How I set up when I use a different amp from my Mark V, I have an OD set through the front to tighten things up, once I'm satisfied with my rythym tone, I increase the gain on my amp to a really high gain setting that would work for leads. Then I just back off the volume on my guitar to get my rhythm tone. When the lead part comes up, I hit a boost that I have in the FX loop to get a bit louder and then add that bit of gain with my volume knob.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
Quote by monwobobbo
get an overdrive. they can be used as a boostas well, it's all about how you have it set. there are some overdrives with a separate boost function as well.

This.

Put a nice overdrive pedal in front of that amp and you're all set.
To use it as a booster, set the Gain/Drive knob to zero, Level knob to the max, and the Tone knob at 50%. Then adjust to taste from there.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Mar 5, 2014,
Thanks guys! What are some good overdrive pedals for this kind of thing? I only pretty much know the TubeScreamer...
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Thanks guys! What are some good overdrive pedals for this kind of thing? I only pretty much know the TubeScreamer...

Yeah, tubescreamer is the most famous overdrive, and lots of other pedals are copying it and are very similar to it so I wouldn't advise you to buy real Ibanez Tubescreamer because you can get very similar pedal for less money, such as Digitech Bad Monkey.
If you want a good cheap OD:
Digitech Bad Monkey
GFS Greenie Classic
Joyo Vintage OD
EHX Soul Food

all of these are <$50 new

Or you can look at a TS-9, Green Rhino, Rawkworks light drive if you want to look at $100+ pedals
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Xotic makes great overdrive and distortion pedals - they are more expensive, but worth the price difference when compared to a typical Tubescreamer, which really chokes the tone. Ultimately, you need to test out different overdrives with your amp, since they can react differently to different amps.

Don't run overdrives or boost pedals through your fx loop! Overdrives and boosts go in front of the amp. Only use time based/reverb/chorus type effects in the loop.
I am a pretty big fan of the TS-7 for a tube screamer if you are looking to keep cost down. I mean, i like my TS-9 better but hey, depends on what YOUR ears are looking for.

NO-To a distortion pedal. Eww lol You want to take advantage of that great tone you can get from that amp and a distortion pedal in my opinion is like saying "i am not happy with the gain from my amp so I will create my own". BUT, I am but one persons opinion with my own 2 ears. haha

Most guitar Centers will let you try out what they have in stock before you buy.

Also, you may consider an eq as well, I like to use an eq in the loop with a sad face boosting the mids just a wee bit for the solo's etc. Helps give you a volume boost as well as a more punch through tone. Another option is the eq ped + tube screamer. Tube screamer up front during high-gain/leads to tighten things up and the eq in the loop to boost volume and mids when needed.

Anyways, just some idea's to throw at ya. Up to YOU on which direction to go.
I'm an OD guy for life. I have no idea how I played without one to boost my amps.
I'm very particular with mine though. Recording and live are two different animals.

Live I like to use BOTH my Maxon and my Zack Wylde OD in front of my Engl FB 100. I have little to no gain dialed in, tweak the tones and outputs accordingly, and keep the gain on my Engl below 3.
I enjoy the Maxon OD808. its one of the better sounding tubescreamers out there. Bad thing is that its around $150 new. but that tone is just great.

on the other hand if you are willing to test drive something that would set you back $20, Id suggest a Behringer TO800. Now before the ravenous UG behringer haters throw me into a spitfire, its $20 and may very well serve the purpose of testing out the sound of an overdrive. It also sounds decent, but it would break sooner or later. its $20
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
I've had 4 clean boost pedals over the past 2 weeks and I honestly can't figure out what I'd ever use one for.

OD for meeee.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah od. ts-alike or sd1-alike, up to you. You can use a more transparent od like a timmy etc. but they tend not to add mids and compress anywhere near as much (and if you're anything like me, you'll like mids and compression for solos). I prefer them more for always-on boosts for rhythm playing.

a clean boost in the loop might be worth considering if you need a volume hike, though. just need to be sure if it'll work ok with the jet city's slightly weird loop level.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've had 4 clean boost pedals over the past 2 weeks and I honestly can't figure out what I'd ever use one for.

OD for meeee.

comes in handy for certain situations. if you like your amp tone but need it louder for leads then clean boost is a great option. works well for low gain situations where you just need a little more without changing the tone. my T-Rex overdrive has it as a separate function and it does come in handy occasionally.
Quote by monwobobbo
comes in handy for certain situations. if you like your amp tone but need it louder for leads then clean boost is a great option. works well for low gain situations where you just need a little more without changing the tone. my T-Rex overdrive has it as a separate function and it does come in handy occasionally.

Yeah, I mean I get the solo boost thing, but 2 out of 3 of my amps have a solo boost built in, so it's of no use to me there. I currently have a Suhr ISO Boost, which I really just wanted for the buffer... but I don't really have enough pedals to need a buffer in the first place, so I dunno what I was thinking

I mean, it's a cool little pedal that sounds really natural when it's engaged and it can drive the amp somewhat, but if I'm going to use a pedal, I want it to do something to the sound, not just make it louder
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com