I've been reading through a lot of the threads here about high gain pedals, but most point to metal vs. hard rock. I have a Kustom '72 Coupe (2x12, 72 watt all tube) and I am using a Parker Nitefly Mojo and a Fender Strat Ultra Plus Custom Shop. I have - like so many of you - gone through multiple pedals of all kinds over the years and have not found the right pedal yet to achieve the more modern hard rock sound, like the types of bands you hear on the Octane channel on XM Radio: Avenged Sevenfold, Godsmack, Seether, Saving Abel, Five Finger Death Punch, etc.

For distortion I currently have a Vox Satchurator and a Boss MT-2, neither of which does it for me. I have been considering the Wampler Triple Wreck and lately have been listening to some of the demos of the AMT LA2 pedals. I'm looking for any and all opinions - short of selling my amp - on pedals to help me achieve this sound. And from the AMT line, since I am not really well versed on which amps are the RIGHT amps, which one of their LA2 preamps I should be looking at.

Thanks very much for your help . . . Marty!
Nice axes! Post some pix!

I've gotten a lot of milage out of my Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, and Red Witch Famulus. I also have a Krank Distortus Maximus. I'm curently contemplating the Rocktron Metal Embrace and/or Third Angel distortion pedals. Except for the Krank, they're all pretty flexible pedals that can deliver a wide variety of distorted tones.

I wish I could say more, but I can't- I really haven't aimed in that particular direction- but I'd be surprised if one of those couldn't get you there...or at least, very, very close.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 5, 2014,
I love the Clean channel as I can get the gain just right to give me some great bite when I am doing some blues or classic rock. The Lead channel is also very good for classic rock but doesn't give me the hard rock tones that I hear in my head. If you have any experience with this amp and can offer some advice on settings for EQ, gain, etc., I'd be open to any and all words of wisdom. My experimenting may have been in the wrong direction. Thanks!
you could maybe try an od and eq with your od channel. failing that a more modern-sounding distortion pedal (not too well up on those).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Use an OD, level all the way up, gain all the way down, tone to taste...?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Clearly not a great amp for the primary genres you are attempting to emulate. Assuming you are not willing to get the proper amp and want to get the tone from pedals I'd recommend that you consider a few things like pickup changes in your axes to reflect what those artists are using as one consideration, another would be the tunings (most of those bands/songs use crazy low ones) and for pedals (though I do think highly of Wampler and specifically the TripleWreck seems like a great product) have you tried /considered Amptweaker Pedals? I was at the Winter NAMM 2014 show and got to hear the TightMetal and TightMetal Pro - absolutely CRUSHING and versatile. Lots of demos on YT and Amptweaker's site...if you can't get thing to provide a modern metal tone that meets your needs I'm not sure anything will. James Brown the head of the company is a famous cat who has made some of the most renowned and famous metal / hard rock amps that are still in use today. Dude knows what he's doing.
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Last edited by Dazzl1113 at Mar 5, 2014,
Maybe something that can do those sounds in several settings at a switch - like the Sansamp TRI-AC or Tech21 Double Drive (links below):
http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/DistShootout/sansamptriac.htm

http://www.houstonmusicreviews.com/GearReview/DistShootout/tech21doubledrive.htm

Blackstar HT-2 or maybe their single channel flavors will probably get you close.

Sansamp Classic or GT-2, H&K Tubeman, Mesa V-Twin and maybe one of their newer pedals, look at Radial Tonebone as well.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 5, 2014,
Quote by MrShowbiz999
I love the Clean channel as I can get the gain just right to give me some great bite when I am doing some blues or classic rock. The Lead channel is also very good for classic rock but doesn't give me the hard rock tones that I hear in my head. If you have any experience with this amp and can offer some advice on settings for EQ, gain, etc., I'd be open to any and all words of wisdom. My experimenting may have been in the wrong direction. Thanks!

may be a stupid ? but are you using the same tunings those bands do. a big reason for downtuning is to get a bigger sound. seems like what you want is more of a modern metal sound as opposed to hard rock.
All good input everyone . . . thanks! I have already reached out to James Brown, as he is the guy who was also responsible for designing my 72' Coupe while at Kustom Amps! He suggested looking at his BigRock Pro as it is the most versatile of pedals in the Amptweaker line.

In regards to getting the "proper amp", I am not playing out so this is more for my personal enjoyment than anything else. The Kustom really satisfies my blues and classic rock needs so that's great; the cleans are also very clean. It's this particular sound that I am "missing." I will try an OD - I have a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic that I can play with in front of the amp. I'll also play with lowering the tuning. As I said at the beginning of my thread, I am also looking hard at the AMT LA2 pedals (if anyone knows anything about those, that input would be great.) These preamps going into the effects loop seem to really deliver some great sounds; my confusion is which simulation preamp I should be considering since thye emulate great amps like Soldanos, VHT's, Diezels, etc.
Quote by MrShowbiz999
my confusion is which simulation preamp I should be considering since thye emulate great amps like Soldanos, VHT's, Diezels, etc.

I don't think anyone does this reliably. Blackstar have "British"/"American" tone settings which kinda get in the ballpark of a cranked Marshall and Mesa tones, same with Sansamp/Tech21 stuff, the rest are pretty their own thing. I wouldn't use digital emulations from multifx as they sound even worse, at least to me.
Having dealt with AMT cust. support I am not sure I will have another one of their products.
Quote by diabolical
I don't think anyone does this reliably. Blackstar have "British"/"American" tone settings which kinda get in the ballpark of a cranked Marshall and Mesa tones, same with Sansamp/Tech21 stuff, the rest are pretty their own thing. I wouldn't use digital emulations from multifx as they sound even worse, at least to me.
Having dealt with AMT cust. support I am not sure I will have another one of their products.

yeah this often doesn't work very well through an amp. I use a POD for recording which in the digital realm works fairly well. through either of my amps it just doesn''t sound anywhere near as good as the distortion sound of the amp.