So I sprayed a liberal amount of Lloyds electrical contact cleaner to the inside of the scratchy volume pot on my vmnt and now it spins 360 degrees without affecting the volume, as does the other volume and tone control, both of which were also sprayed. The pot covers now move up and down.

Where they used to stop stiff at zero and 10 there was a slightly spongy resistance before spinning freely and now there is no resistance whatsoever.

Anyone ever have an issue similar to this?
Never had those issues, but I only use Deoxit or Radio Shack brand cleaner
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't see how that could happen from just the spray. I think we're missing something here. Are the knobs just loose?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Only thing done to the guitar was contact spray. All 3 knobs began spinning 360, not working, and sliding up and down the shaft. I'm assuming the contact spray dissolved something.
So is it the knobs that are the problem? If you turn the pot shafts by themselves do they work?

Because if that's what you mean, Yes it's possible that the cleaner you used wasn't compatible with the plastic in your knobs. Unlikely, but possible.

Do you have a link for the cleaner you used?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 5, 2014,
I pulled the knob off. The shaft for the pot actually moves up and down now.
That seems really unlikely. I guess it could happen but the pots would have to have been either mega crappy or had something wrong with them already. The only ingredients in most pots are metal, a nylon shaft and washer, and then the silicon base plate and then the resistive trace. There's not really anything in there that could be dissolved by contact cleaner. You'd have to be a pretty big idiot to design electronic products that could be dissolved by the most common thing used to clean electronics. Not saying it's impossible, but it seems unlikely that just spraying contact cleaner into your pots somehow just turned them into jello.

Also, the shaft on pots usually moves up and down a bit. That's not necessarily indicative of a problem.
Quote by cshrpmnr

What make/model of guitar and again do you have a link for the cleaner you used?

I find 3 types of Lloyd's contact cleaner, 2 simply use methanol and ethanol in varying types/concentrations but one uses stabilized perchloroethylene and appears to be significantly more agressive in it's ability to dissolve...things...?

I note I'm not a chemist, I'm just reading what I've found, but it really seems we need to know what you used?
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Mar 5, 2014,
Quote by cshrpmnr

But does the pot work when turning just the shaft?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's a Dean vmnt and the CC was Lloydds electrical contact cleaner. Nope the pots are dead. They worked almost perfectly before spraying them, aside from one scratchy pot.

Thanks y'all. I guess it's time for new pots. At least they're cheap and an easy fix.
Last edited by cshrpmnr at Mar 5, 2014,
Quote by cshrpmnr
It's a Dean vmnt and the CC was Lloydds electrical contact cleaner. Nope the pots are dead. They worked almost perfectly before spraying them, aside from one scratchy pot.

Thanks y'all. I guess it's time for new pots. At least they're cheap and an easy fix.

Which one?

http://lloyds.targetnetwork.net/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/Kleens-It-Electronic-Contact-Cleaner-aerosol-51208.pdf

http://lloyds.targetnetwork.net/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/Kleens-It-Electrical-Contact-Cleaner-aerosol-57220.pdf

http://lloyds.targetnetwork.net/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/Kleens-It-Electronic-Contact-Cleaner-53210.pdf

If it was indeed the "Electrical" instead of "Electronic" there's your problem. Wrong stuff...
Charles Darwin
How strange. Must have been really crappy pots for that contact cleaner to do that, or a bad batch perhaps. It does indeed look like a washer or something was shrunk or loosened or something. That electrical cleaner you used might have attacked the nylon. I'm not sure what its properties are but it sure does seem to have destroyed those pots. Yikes!
Quote by Roc8995
Weird. Must have been really crappy pots for that contact cleaner to do that, or a bad batch perhaps. It does indeed look like a washer or something was shrunk or loosened or something.

As mentioned above though if you used something particularly harsh, it may have contributed to the issue. I can tell you that I've never had anything like this happen when using standard contact cleaner on pots.

It wasn't, it was industrial electrical cleaner, not bog-standard electronic cleaner.

Hence the problem...lucky he still has a finish on his guitar!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Roc8995
Weird. Must have been really crappy pots for that contact cleaner to do that, or a bad batch perhaps. It does indeed look like a washer or something was shrunk or loosened or something.

As mentioned above though if you used something particularly harsh, it may have contributed to the issue. I can tell you that I've never had anything like this happen when using standard contact cleaner on pots.

Either have I. My contact cleaner was at the rehearsal place across town, so I stopped in to the local hardware store to pick this up. Time for some new pots and a lesson learned.

Thanks again dudes.
Quote by cshrpmnr
Either have I. My contact cleaner was at the rehearsal place across town, so I stopped in to the local hardware store to pick this up. Time for some new pots and a lesson learned.

Thanks again dudes.

Gives you a chance to put some high quality pots in...might as well make lemonade here...

Good luck.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Gives you a chance to put some high quality pots in...might as well make lemonade here...

Good luck.

Haha, exactly!

Thanks!
Install new pots , I have a mid 80's strat and the only thing left of the original guitar is the body and neck pots wear out from use
KP62