Hi, I like rock n roll, I am really into jimi hendrix, I know all the shapes of the minor pentatonic and most of the blues and I am just starting to learn the aeolian mode, what chords should I use over minor pentatonic, blues, and aeolian what kinds of chord progressions can I use, what will sound good, I want to get more into rhythm I dont really know where to start
You use those scales primarily in minor keys.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Please don't call it aeolian if you're not using it in a modal context. It's just the natural minor scale in most circumstances. You can use any chord that you think sounds right, but if you want to stay perfectly diatonic you'll build a chord off of each note in the key. If you're in a major key this works out to M m m M M m dim or in a minor scale m dim M m m M M where M=major m=minor and dim=diminished.

As an example, the basic diatonic chords of C major would be C Dm Em F G Am Bdim and in B minor you would get Bm C#dim D Em F#m G A.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Please don't call it aeolian if you're not using it in a modal context. It's just the natural minor scale in most circumstances.

Thanks. Was bugging me too.

OT:
As Alan said, you should use that scales primarily with minor keys. Now, what does that mean? It means, you're asking the wrong question. Instead of asking, "What chords do I use with these scales?"; you should ask, "How do I want to use these scales in (insert song/riff idea in a minor key here), so that it fits the sound I want?" Context is key, and you will 90% of the time be using those scales in any minor key context. But we can't really get any more specific than that.
We could explain a shitload of theory for you, but that wouldn't be very constructive, unless you were asking a more specific question. The4thHorsemen already stated the basics of minor/major key diatonic chords. I'm hesitant to really get into that, without you asking a more specific question, though.

If you want examples, Hendrix used the minor pentatonic in a lot of his songs. So, pick a Hendrix song that is in a minor key, and figure out what he's doing. See how Hendrix uses the minor pentatonic. That should give you a fair amount to work with...
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Mar 5, 2014,
No, in B minor you will have:

i: Bm
ii: C#m
iii: Dm
IV: E
V: F#
vi: G#m
vii: A#dim
Quote by GameSkate

Um, no. The B minor key signature only has two sharps, F# and C#. The B minor scale is B C# D E F# G A, and my information above is correct.
Quote by GameSkate

-------------------------------------------------

that is not B natural minor...relative to D major (2 sharps F# & C#)

Bm C#Dim Dmaj Emi F#mi Gmaj Amaj
Quote by GameSkate

Why confuse TS by using an example that's based off of the melodic minor?
It doesn't even really fit melodic minor either. If you harmonized the melodic minor the vi chord would have to be diminished as well, so his G#m would have been G#dim. Which would still be wrong anyways seeing how the melodic minor is not really used for chord building, but for ascending melodies over a minor song using a V7 chord.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
It doesn't even really fit melodic minor either. If you harmonized the melodic minor the vi chord would have to be diminished as well, so his G#m would have been G#dim. Which would still be wrong anyways seeing how the melodic minor is not really used for chord building, but for ascending melodies over a minor song using a V7 chord.

Yeah, I know. But I can sort of see how he might have gotten the idea from melodic minor. He still got it wrong. Eh, whatever. It doesn't really matter.
Quote by GameSkate

are you just randomly hitting the # key for fun or what