I've been trying to decide between a duet, the babyface and now the UA Apollo twin for a long time and finally settled on the babyface for home use. Anyone can google the specs so I'll leave those out for now.

The preamps are extremely clean. RME doesn't joke when they describe the pres as "near reference quality" but still with some character. I would say they are just as detailed as my Focusrite ISA828 pres, though I have yet to do a real test of the two.

The converters also sound killer. I did some A/B listening with my Presonus Firestudio of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue at 192/24 through both Sennheiser HD280s and a home stereo system. The Firestudio sounded good, don't get me wrong, but I lost track of where I was for a second with the headphones on and the babyface carrying the audio.

From my small amount of testing I think the Duet sounded very good as well, but I like the RME's expandability. 8 digital ins? That's crazy. It means I can take just the babyface and the ISA828 to a mobile session and have 10 channels of high quality pres running simultaneously.

Here's a video of me talking into a Mojave MA-201 and playing guitar into a matched pair of Oktava MK 012 01s:
http://youtu.be/pKzHm5TtDeY
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Curious why you chose this over the UA?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Curious why you chose this over the UA?

Converter/pre combo wasn't even close. Definitely better than Scarlett/Sapphire/audio box/etc, they aren't BAD by any means. I can't quantify it either, I don't know what exactly it was lacking but the combination just wasn't as good. The UA plug ins ARE appealing, their LA2A is obscenely good, but since I have Waves Mercury I didn't feel that tipped the balance enough.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Converter/pre combo wasn't even close. Definitely better than Scarlett/Sapphire/audio box/etc, they aren't BAD by any means. I can't quantify it either, I don't know what exactly it was lacking but the combination just wasn't as good. The UA plug ins ARE appealing, their LA2A is obscenely good, but since I have Waves Mercury I didn't feel that tipped the balance enough.

Really?

I've never been at all impressed with the preamps or converters in the FireFace series, but the Apollo Quad my friend has is quite impressive in that regard, much more in line with the SSL converters I run. I was under the impression that the Babyface was the same as the Fireface series, just smaller, and the Apollo Twin the same as the full-sized Apollo?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com