Do you think this would be worth buying as a musician?

http://fiddlershop.com/vari-grip-hand-fitness-tool.html

I know it seems kind of silly but it sounds like it could be useful for when you're just sitting watching tv and don't want to concentrate on playing an instrument.

Also I hope nobody thinks I'm an advertising or anything, this is an honest question.
Not really, in my opinion.

I think it's far better to practice your actual instrument. It might be good for beginners to get finger independence up, but then again you can do that on you instrument and the skill doesn't have to "transfer" between them since you are already doing it on your instrument.

I don't really see the point of them after you get grip of how to practice properly and have developed abit, so that you are out of the "beginner phase". From there on they are pretty useless cause they will not help you getting used to the techniques you will be using, they will not help you learn musical material and they will not help your creativity.

If i am sitting and watching TV and i feel like i have to practice something i'd much rather practice something that is universal to music that doesn't require a tool. Like keeping a pulse with my foot and going between different subdivisions with my hands or going through some mental repetition of songs you are working on, or mumble chords and what notes they contain.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Fretting your guitar is a workout in itself and there's a pretty low ceiling in development with those hand exercisers, a waste of $20.

Speaking from experience, Captains of Crush is best hand exerciser with it's high resistance range, an exponentially small percentage of the population can close the No. 3 model ( <.000001%). However, gymnastic rings and deadlifts were the only things that legitimately changed my grip strength and made guitar playing easier.

But I weightlift for myself, not guitar. If you're utilizing correct leverage and technique, you should never need to touch a gripper/finger-strengthener for just playing guitar. Though, if you really want some insane hand strength anyways, I'd recommend a solid barbell routine.
Last edited by johnturner9 at Mar 5, 2014,
Strength is not an issue. I guarantee you are strong enough to move a .01" wire less than an 8th of an inch.

It's all about coordination. Work on good, efficient technique and you'll see there is no need whatsoever for strength. In fact, the better your technique, the less energy you expend moving your hands around.
Quote by cdgraves
Strength is not an issue. I guarantee you are strong enough to move a .01" wire less than an 8th of an inch.

It's all about coordination. Work on good, efficient technique and you'll see there is no need whatsoever for strength. In fact, the better your technique, the less energy you expend moving your hands around.

This.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.