I purchased a Jackson RRTMG Rhoads recently, and I am about to get a Peavey VK100 half stack next week. I was wondering what kind of suggestions I can get to experiment with. I have been looking at the Boss SD-1 SuperOverdrive and the MXR Wylde Overdrive, but I'm not sure which way to go or what other effects to try out. I play anything from Iron Maiden and Metallica to Avenged Sevenfold and Whitechapel.

On another note...straps. The Rhoads is not heavy at all so I don't think I need a wide, super-padded strap. I'm looking at a 2-2.5" Levy's suede or the 2" Get'm Get'm. Any other suggestions?
I'd try a tubescreamer style overdrive. I use a couple different TS based overdrives with my VK and they seem to go really well with it. this will get you the older tones for sure. as for the new stuff honestly the VK isn't the best amp for that. i'll suggest the Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive it has a mod switch for increased gain.
Yeah, I was looking at the TS9 for the older tone. Metalcore stuff just sounds like a lot of gain and drop tunes to me. Shouldn't be too hard to get that. I will look into that Hardwire. Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
There's not a ton of difference between sd1/zw-style ods and tses, but they do seem to suit different amps slightly better, so if monwobobbo says the ts-types suit a vk better, go with that. in my experience if the amp is quite smooth, sd1-types suit it better but if the amp is already fairly edgy/fizzy, ts-types suit it better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The MXR seems to have a lot more gain than the TS and SD-1, but other than that, they are really similar, judging from YouTube comparisons. I guess it is more trial and error. The TS will probably be one of my first purchases, though. Thanks for the suggestions. Anything else I can try? Other stompboxes or pedals? I need to get a good wah pedal, too.
Have a listen to the Joyo Vintage Overdrive on YouTube as well. It's a TS808 clone for about $30 new. Most reviews are very good and I use one as a clean boost.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
dont use a ts9 unless its moded i got one for my amp (buegara330) and it cut all mids and most lows out ds-1 is cheaper and on my set-up a go to
First piece of advice, the valveking isn't a terrible amp, but the cab is. Don't get the half stack just buy the head then get a proper cab, otherwise you will back on here looking for a solution to the muddiness. Also, if its used ask what tubes are in it. If they are stock, you will want to start saving for some tubes. As far as a boost goes, I just tried out the hardwire cm2 (I believe that was the model), and I really liked it as a boost though I haven't looked yet to see the used prices. How much is the valve king you are looking at, just asking because those amps are everywhere and you don't want to overpay.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
The ValveKing will not do Whitechapel. Full stop. It's not a metal amp. I owned one.

You can get really good deals on used 6505+ 112 combos, I've seen them as low as $300.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Valveking will do hard rock, but for the money, you will get better metal tones from something like a 6505+ combo.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by ironbulletts
dont use a ts9 unless its moded i got one for my amp (buegara330) and it cut all mids and most lows out ds-1 is cheaper and on my set-up a go to

that doesn't make a whole heap of sense. a ts 9 is known for having tons of mids, while a ds1 is scooped.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ironbulletts

Apparently not very knowledgeable on how to setup an overdrive.
Quote by Offworld92
The ValveKing will not do Whitechapel. Full stop. It's not a metal amp. I owned one.

You can get really good deals on used 6505+ 112 combos, I've seen them as low as $300.

if you use an overdrive with the gain up (instead of as a clean boost) you can get a fair amount of distortion from a VK. I do agree it's not an ideal amp for modern metal though.
Wow, it's been a while since I've been on here. I paid $500 for the VK100 head and cab, so I think it was a good deal. I am thinking of eventually upgrading to a 5150 or something, but for now this is what I am going with for gigging. I honestly have no idea what kind of tubes are in it, but I can find out. I ended up buying a Maxon OD808 pedal and I'm using an ISP Decimator. With the gain up midway on the VK and barely any drive on the Maxon, I can get a pretty sick tone. When I do get ready to upgrade tubes, what do you suggest? Also, what about cabs?
Sort out your speakers. You could just replace the ones in your current cab. Have a look at WGS speakers if you are in the US. They make a V30 clone sorta thing. Called a Veteran 30.
Otherwise, if you have the cash, I'd probably go for two Celestion V30's and two G12K100's in an X pattern. Especially if you are going to buy a 5150/6505 down the road (like you should have done in the first place.)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just found out that the tubes are brand new J.J.s and the speakers are Sheffield.
You should be good with the wylde OD...i'd use it to boost gain on the Peavey, and get an ISP Decimator II to eliminate noise.
Another question: Should my ISP Decimator go before or after my Maxon OD808 overdrive?
After.

I'd still replace the speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A