I'm a beginner and I currently play an acoustic guitar. I want to get a electric. I can't decide between the Epiphone Les Paul Studio or the Fender Standard Telecaster. I plan on playing indie, alternate, punk and heavy. Which would you guys recommend.
totally different sound and feel for those so your best bet is to play both and see what works for you.
Huh, I like the Epi LP and am not a fender guy but being a beginner, you could choose either and not go wrong. The fender would be my choice for that ratty punk sound and with a little more bite.
look for a fender esquire (gt) it'll cover all the tones u want its a tele body can find them in the 400 range
The band's I listen to are:
Arctic Monkeys
Neighborhood
Imagine Dragons
ACDC
Zeppelin
Styx
Pearl Jam
Nirvana

To name a few
My price range is <400USD
As for body style it really doesn't matter no archtop though or teardrop
I'm a believer that everyone should have a Les paul and a Tele ..... the question should be witch one to get first ??.... I would get a tele first , 400.00 will buy a nice tele or a mediocre Les Paul , get the Tele first then save a little more for the les Paul ..... or follow Justrooster's advice on the HB - ASAT (tele)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 7, 2014,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 7, 2014,
Quote by jkridesdirtbi
I kinda want to stick to the guitars I suggested

Fair enough. The pride of the headstock. Just go try both. It's the only way. Every guitar shop will surely have one of each of these guitars for you to try.

The truth is though: the guitars suggested here that are not fender or epiphone are actually of higher quality for the same price.
Quote by Fumble fingers
I'm a believer that everyone should have a Les paul and a Tele ..... the question should be witch one to get first ??.... I would get a tele first , 400.00 will buy a nice tele or a mediocre Les Paul , get the Tele first then save a little more for the les Paul ..... or follow Justrooster's advice on the HB - ASAT (tele)

100% agree except get a tribute asat classic.

screw that les paul shaped like a tele but it's not a tele and it's not a les paul thing rooster linked.

and lose the headstock envy. (says the guy with open book headstock tokai les pauls... lol)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-Tribute-ASAT-Classic-Electric-Guitar-Butterscotch-Blonde-NEW-/161181580869?pt=Guitar&hash=item25872bbe45

give it a good home.
How would the Fender Modern Player Telecaster Plus compare to the G&L Tribute ASAT Classic for thew type of music I want to play.
Last edited by jkridesdirtbi at Mar 22, 2014,
Alright I think I'll invest in one of those. Thank you all for the information. By the way whats GAS I see it a lot on forums and in your signature JustRooster
G.A.S. = Guitar/Gear Aquisition Syndrome.

The (seemingly insatiable) drive to buy guitars or other gear.

Is there another brand that makes quality Telecaster copies under $1000 or for that money go with a Fender.
Quote by jkridesdirtbi
Is there another brand that makes quality Telecaster copies under $1000 or for that money go with a Fender.

the G&L USA ASAT Classics are awesome.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 13, 2014,