My guitar teacher has given me some scales to play like the chromatic scale, c major.

Should these always be played with alternate picking or is down-picking only OK for now?

I'm finding the alternate picking challenging and slower at the moment.
Ideally, you should become proficient with all forms of picking. Practice it both ways. And also practice using all up strokes.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by reckless_82
My guitar teacher has given me some scales to play like the chromatic scale, c major.

Should these always be played with alternate picking or is down-picking only OK for now?

I'm finding the alternate picking challenging and slower at the moment.

Listen to me because this is one of the most important things anyone in this thread will tell you:

Talk. To. Your. Teacher.

You are paying this person to teach you what you want to know so make sure you're getting all the information you want from them. If you're not then you might want to consider taking your business elsewhere but first you must ask. If the answer seems off to you then be confident in asking your teacher to justify themselves; teachers should be able to justify their choices.

Your teacher cannot do the best job if they don't know what you want to learn and you can't learn the most you can if your teacher is not doing their best job so please, communicate with this person. You are not a vessel in to which they simply pour knowledge; being a good student is just as important as having a good teacher.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I agree with Junior1, practice alternate picking, all down strokes and all upstrokes. Alternate picking will yield the highest speeds and should be your primary focus- spend the most time here. Downstrokes will help your rhythm playing and has certain tone benefits if you want to give a particular accent to a note or series of notes. Upstrokes are less important, but not a bad thing to work on as well.