So reading the post about physical limitations, some posted "Another thing I forgot to write about all that talk about practicing isn't bullshit some people just don't know how to practice efficiently that's why they never make improvements learning how to make quality practice routines is a skill on it's own."

This is exactly what I am trying to figure out how to do... this would really put me where I need to be...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for the time..
In short - you will play how you practise, so make sure you practise EXACTLY how you want to play.

So you should be super relaxed, notes should sound great, and you should be making the minimum of motion with each movement.

To reach this standard, you will probably have to take the tempo WAY WAY down, which is fine.
Quote by Freepower
In short - you will play how you practise, so make sure you practise EXACTLY how you want to play.

This is probably the most important thing to learn when it comes to practice if you ask me:

Practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent.

If you practice poorly you will play poorly because that's what you're teaching your body to do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Agreeing with Freepower and Zaphod, as usual.

Practice does make permanent, that is why it's so important to start practicing slow and making sure you get everything right. That you are relaxed and that you are not making any mistakes. Even now when i have been playing for many years and have gotten my playing to a level were i can actually enjoy my own playing, i still start really slow when learning new stuff.

Also as Freepower said, as you practice you will play. That why, in addition to making sure you are playing relaxed and not making any mistakes, you want to make sure you are practicing musical things most of the time. I personally know many players that have fallen down the rabbit-hole of making their routine 90% scales and arpeggios up and down the fretboard in different patterns. And they are now regretting it cause their playing just sound like scale exercises.

Other than that i think it is important to follow the words of trumpist Clark Terry when it comes to developing, "imitate, assimilate, innovate". Imitate your favorite players. Assimilate their music, understand how it works. Then take what you learn from all those players and innovate, make your own style.

That's all i had to say.

Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
So true. There is a ton of wisdom in this thread.

For me, I think one of the biggest improvements in how I approach practice is that I've reprogrammed myself to define improvement as things other than tempo. Thinking too much about tempo is the most natural thing in the world. You are practicing piece X and only really able to nail it at 105 bpm. But the song tempo is 125 bpm. Therefore, improvement is playing it well at 107 bpm. On top of that, tempo is more easily measurable.

Well, that does mean that you are playing your piece a bit more comfortably, but what made the big difference for me was that mental process of where you get your kicks from, that "oh cool, that was better than last time" feeling. These days it comes more from "hey, it seemed like I was having more trouble muting last time", and "cool, I was really in pocket with the timing" or "awesome, that bend was totally in tune, and I was a bit unsure about it a week ago". I'm still pleased when I notice that I can play something faster, but I think that shift in defining my victories more from how things sound has really changed how I practice for the better. And on the flip side, it means my dissatisfaction is greater when things don't sound so hot, and that motivates me more to practice things that will make me sound better.