Hey guys, I bought an ibanez premium rg921 about two days back from an online retailer. Its brand new though it is a 2012 model.They had it in stock. It has an action of about 3mm at 14 fret on the 6th string. I tried adjusting it from the bridge but I was getting fret buzz. So I tried setting up the bow but I'm unable to move the rod. Please help me out. Truss rod is not turning.
ACE AND THE ASS
Have you done setups before? I wouldn't touch it if you're inexperienced, especially on floyd roses.

Take it to a tech to have a look, if he can't do it then contact the retailer and ask for a replacement. It's rare that truss rods just won't turn.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Yea I've done it on my other strat. But as I said it was manufactured back in 2012. Could it be the reason like getting stuck or something. It was much easier for me turning the rod on my strat. Plus I know its not broken otherwise it would have been loose.
ACE AND THE ASS
Last edited by ady.gravity at Mar 5, 2014,
It's kind of hard to say without having the guitar in front of me. Don't attempt to use a lot of force to turn it, that could make the situation worse. If it were me I'd get a second opinion from a tech and then organise a replacement/refund from the store you got it from.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
No worries. It's always a disappointment when stuff like that happens. Hope it's resolved fairly painlessly.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Good news is that a frozen truss rod should be covered under warranty if it was a new guitar.
Again, no way to know without seeing the thing. It's possible, but honestly I would have a tech simply verify that there's a problem and then send it back. I would not put up with a frozen truss rod (and paying for repair) on a brand new guitar.
Quote by Roc8995
Again, no way to know without seeing the thing. It's possible, but honestly I would have a tech simply verify that there's a problem and then send it back. I would not put up with a frozen truss rod (and paying for repair) on a brand new guitar.

This really is your best option, TS.

If you go to a good store when the tech is in, he may not even charge you to just check it out quickly.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Hey guys the truss rod is not frozen as it turned a bit...I marked it with paint to check if its moving and it did move but not much. Would machine oil help loosen it a bit??
ACE AND THE ASS
Last edited by ady.gravity at Mar 5, 2014,
Can you post of a photo of it? I'm confused as to what you're turning and what you think is supposed to be turning.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Well truss rod nut is turning. I used a little force but it did turn and actually made a slight adjustment on neck bow. So would machine oil help it???
ACE AND THE ASS
Quote by ady.gravity
Well truss rod nut is turning. I used a little force but it did turn and actually made a slight adjustment on neck bow. So would machine oil help it???

No, don't apply any foreign oil or lubrication to it.

If it turns, then it works. I would still get it checked out though.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Well guys I called up the retailer and they got me on line with a tech. He told me to use 2-3 drops of zorrik 88 similar to wd-40. Truss rod can now be moved and adjusted. Even the changes are noticeable on the neck.
ACE AND THE ASS
Cool, glad it was a simple fix and the seller worked quickly to resolve the issue. Enjoy your guitar!