Page 1 of 2
I'm a bedroom player 99% of the time and have been battling with going over to amplitube and ditching my amp and pedals. I've been looking around a lot and have been trying to figure out if I just want to get a used 6505+ combo, getting amplitube, a used spider valve combo. But I've seen a few reviews on this and think it may be something i'd get some good use out of because I can use it for more than just an amp.

Any experience or thoughts on these? And yes, I'm aware of all the line 6 hate so lets leave that aside.
More info please.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
First off, some info would be nice.

Budget
Do you ever or have any desire to gig or be able to keep up with a drummer without a PA

Honestly I have no problems with Line 6 (love the DL4) so much as I just hate the Spider but I haven't tried that one. Personally I would prefer the Peavey but if you give us more info, it will help
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Personally I'd just get these and save the $100. Unless the whole "multimedia" function of the Amplifi is worth the extra cash to you.

line6 pod HD bean - $199
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PodHD/

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones - $90
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD280Pro/
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Well damn I'm blind, eppi already brought up the info issue.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
$400 or less, cleans to rock to metal, nashua nh. probably won't be gigging. I'm more after this so I can use it at home and school and it will be nice to have the bluetooth function of this as well of music, tv, music... etc.
You still haven't answered if you can buy used.

Guitar amp with bluetooth function? What do you mean?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
You still haven't answered if you can buy used.

Guitar amp with bluetooth function? What do you mean?

perfectly fine with used, I assumed that was covered in my original post...

http://line6.com/amplifi/ That is the amp I'm considering. I'm mostly between that, the line 6 valve combo, and a 6505+ combo
Quote by andrerist
perfectly fine with used, I assumed that was covered in my original post...

http://line6.com/amplifi/ That is the amp I'm considering. I'm mostly between that, the line 6 valve combo, and a 6505+ combo

Sorry, must of skimmed past that.

For the type of variety you want I would probably have to go with a Vypyr 60 Tube. They can be run real quiet or super loud, also can use headphones. Great range of sounds as well.

The Line 6 is cool, but you'll get more pleasure out of the Vypyr. Buy a guitar amp for a guitar amp, not for home theater purposes. You can run your iPod through the Aux in on the Vypyr, if you really want.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Sorry, must of skimmed past that.

For the type of variety you want I would probably have to go with a Vypyr 60 Tube. They can be run real quiet or super loud, also can use headphones. Great range of sounds as well.

The Line 6 is cool, but you'll get more pleasure out of the Vypyr. Buy a guitar amp for a guitar amp, not for home theater purposes. You can run your iPod through the Aux in on the Vypyr, if you really want.

The main feature is that if you play a song with metadata (anything from iTunes or Amazon) trough the AmpliFi, it will search the database for the best user created tone so you can just jam.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
The main feature is that if you play a song with metadata (anything from iTunes or Amazon) trough the AmpliFi, it will search the database for the best user created tone so you can just jam.

And? Doesn't mean it's good.

The Fender Mustangs have been doing that for years now. Not exactly revolutionary.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
And? Doesn't mean it's good.

The Fender Mustangs have been doing that for years now. Not exactly revolutionary.

Not in quite the same way. Also, the Amplifi doubles as just a great sounding music dock since it has flat response speakers whereas the Mustang has regular guitar speakers.

EDIT: The main thing about it is that it does the tone searching through blutooth on the fly without the need to find one yourself instantly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caj-z5pPZo8

EDIT 2: Just remembered they miked the amp weirdly, so it sounds bar bassier and boomier than it does in the room.
Last edited by CorrosionMedia at Mar 6, 2014,
But I maintain that if he wants to buy a hi-fi, he should buy a hi-fi. And if he wants a guitar amp, he should buy a guitar amp. Not a 'jack-of-all-trades', loosely speaking.

I'm not knocking the Line 6, I'm saying the Vypyr is probably better suited for him.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt

I'm not knocking the Line 6, I'm saying the Vypyr is probably better suited for him.

Of course, it's dependant on what he wants out of it, so I'm just playing devil's advocate.
Also, this isn't a Spider. Spiders are awful for anyone other than a complete novice, but Line 6 as a whole doesn't deserve the hate it gets for just one amp. Their interfaces and rack processors (and higher end amps) have been used by professionals for years.
Again, never knocked Line 6, and never even mentioned the Spider.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I don't understand everyone's fixation with making someone get a tube amp. Through all the responses I've read, it sounds like the OP wants the Amplifi because of it's various uses. Being a rather new amp, I'm not sure how many people on this forum own it but check out some Youtube videos and if it sounds like it's for you, go for it.
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Quote by Victor Escobar
I don't understand everyone's fixation with making someone get a tube amp. Through all the responses I've read, it sounds like the OP wants the Amplifi because of it's various uses. Being a rather new amp, I'm not sure how many people on this forum own it but check out some Youtube videos and if it sounds like it's for you, go for it.

Youtube can be highly misleading, just listen to all the great amps The Tone King makes sound like shite, I believe the opposite can also be true.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Victor Escobar

We're not making him do anything, we're giving him advice based on personal experience and knowledge about the amps in question.

Youtube is probably one of the worst places to get a real idea on how something sounds, the audio is so compressed it's nothing what it's really like in person. If possible, he should try it them out and see what he likes the most.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
I may have missed it when I scanned through, but my understanding is you can only use the full features of the amp when paired with an iOS device. If its mostly just the bluetooth feature of the amplifi your interested in check out http://alesis.com/transactivewireless don't have either of them but I am leaning more towards the Alesis mostly because it's fully functional without an iOS device.
Last edited by Swelling20 at Mar 6, 2014,
Not even youtube, but recordings in general will never give the entire picture.

A lot of sound comes from the fact it goes through a speaker cabinet. In a sense an electric guitar is just as "acoustic" in it's fullest potential.

Yes you won't hear this entirely on a recording, but there's something to say for the "real life" experience.

For example you can look up the Mona Lisa on the internet, but seeing the texture and the colors in real life is (for some) a heightened experience.

Nothing wrong with just enjoying and experience a recorded sound, but personally I love the sound and experience of hearing a good guitar sound in real life.

Recording is a different matter with different priorities and "issues" to deal with. I see production and real life sound as 2 different beasts. I enjoy both a lot and I could never choose one or the other, but I like them for different reasons.

Bottom line is, these hybrid things by nature will not bring out the best in both of them, because of the design and how guitar really sounds better through amps and speaker created for those tones, and general recordings sound better through Hi-fi speakers.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 6, 2014,
If I want a jambox I'd rather invest in a powered PA speaker with several inputs, run 1/8 to 1/4 from my phone/mp3 players/etc. and get an used fx processor, like a slightly older one generation back Boss, Korg, Vox (GT-8, GT-10, ax3000, Tonelab). Will probably get better mileage out of it. Or even a guitar emulation software for iPhone and such.

If you want a guitar amp, I'd go with the 6505 in this situation since that's what he seems to like, no questions over the other options. That's an amp that he can stay with and grow, unlike the Amplifi which to me looks like a cool beginner's gimmick, that will not likely last long once he discovers good tone.

If he wants a wide range of tones, I'd personally recommend Tech21 Trademark 30:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark30.html

All the tonal options and none of the digital crap.

...Honestly though, the guy sounds like he's dead set to get the Line 6 Amplifi so more power to him, if it does what he needs, good.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Not in quite the same way. Also, the Amplifi doubles as just a great sounding music dock since it has flat response speakers whereas the Mustang has regular guitar speakers.
I have something to say about that
I mean, there's no warranty that the thing will sound good as a hifi system because:
1. the amp may suck
2. who cares if the speakers are (supposedly) frfr, they may suck as well
Quote by diabolical
If he wants a wide range of tones, I'd personally recommend Tech21 Trademark 30:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/guitar/trademark30.html

All the tonal options and none of the digital crap.
Digital crap?
Damn man it's 2014, these things have ADC's and DAC's better than the ones in most music players, and the DSP stuff is neeeeeeat.
Also, having digital stuff you have a shitload more possibilities than with any singe analog unit of the same price and dimensions with (in guitar amps at least) the almost same sound quality.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I hope he gets it I want one for my living room. I want to know how it works out for him
OP.

I've owned a 6505+112.

It's a lovely amp, sounded awesome but if it's uber quiet it's not the best sounding valve amp at low volume. A laney iRT or marshall JVM both sound better at low volume IMO.

My vote goes to trying out the amplifi - go for it and let us know how it works out for you.
Quote by Spambot_2

Digital crap?
Damn man it's 2014, these things have ADC's and DAC's better than the ones in most music players, and the DSP stuff is neeeeeeat.
Also, having digital stuff you have a shitload more possibilities than with any singe analog unit of the same price and dimensions with (in guitar amps at least) the almost same sound quality.

It might be 2014 but look at resale values on Line6 products vs say the amp I recommend. It is like buying a digital camera that will cost almost nothing next year. That tells you something.
If you want good sounding digital you don't go with a little budget gizmo like this one, that's all I am saying.
theres no resale on line6 because of the undeserved stigma of line6 no other reason really
From a guy that absolutely loves tube amps.....don't. Even 1 watt is too loud for bedroom volumes. I use my Vox Valvetronix for bedroom stuff. It sounds better at that volume.

As for Line Sux...well...I don't like anything they make. I had a Pod XTLive that I used into my PC. It always took me a while post EQing to be semi-happy with the sounds. Guitar Rig and Amplitube are much better sounding, with tones that take a few barely a minutes to dial in. I'd go this route with good monitors and headphones. I think you'd be happier with the tones, and the time involved in dialing them in IMHO.
Last edited by bish0p3473 at Mar 6, 2014,
Quote by bish0p3473
From a guy that absolutely loves tube amps.....don't. Even 1 watt is too loud for bedroom volumes. I use my Vox Valvetronix for bedroom stuff. It sounds better at that volume.

This cool thing was invented called the volume knob, it works.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by diabolical
It might be 2014 but look at resale values on Line6 products vs say the amp I recommend. It is like buying a digital camera that will cost almost nothing next year. That tells you something.
If you want good sounding digital you don't go with a little budget gizmo like this one, that's all I am saying.
Marshall MG's have a pretty high re selling value.
So?

What I mean is I wouldn't throw this away just because it's digital, and I wouldn't go for the Trademark just because it's analog.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Marshall MG's have a pretty high re selling value.

What I mean is I wouldn't throw this away just because it's digital, and I wouldn't go for the Trademark just because it's analog.

Maybe in an alternate universe they do...

I am recommending the TM not because its analog per se.
^ The €150 I got for a used MG think they have a pretty high reselling value
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
No one hates Line 6 except bandwagon kids that are unaware that there's products besides the spider amps.

I can speak for Amplitube 3, it's pretty good, but I find myself using Guitar Rig 5 more.
The amps sound great, but some of the features are lacking in my opinion.
Quote by Eppicurt

You probably haven't seen the Amplifi in person. I have.
If you run your iPod (or any other music source) though an Aux on a Vypyr, it's going to sound like crap -- there's just no frequency range there.

The Amplifi represents the future of guitar amps. I've had full-range guitar amps (and not-so-full-range guitar amps) for years. I have a 1971 Carvin solid state amp with a pair of 15" Altec 418-8A's in a huge ported cabinet with a horn midrange/tweeter. For the last several years I've been using a pair of 2x12s that had a pair of Eminence Delta ProA speakers (400W each) in a closed-back ported cabinet with a pair of 1165N piezo tweeters in each cabinet. I ran it with a 1500W SS power amp and a modeler. Bass players have been using wide-range cabinets for years (usually 4x10s with tweeters), but modern speaker cabinets often have an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF (15") driver, a 6.5" mids driver and a 1" tweeter -- essentially a flat-response PA type speaker capable of extreme lows and power handling without farting out. In fact, some well-known bass players have used Meyer Sound PA cabinets as bass cabs. Blackstar just introduced modeling amps with a pair of tweeters in 'em. The idea is to overcome Fletcher Munson at low volumes and still put out respectable gigging power when you need it.

A set of tubes, a heavy iron transformer, much as I love 'em, are old school by 50 years.

The Amplifi goes lower AND higher in a small package than a standard guitar amp. As a modeling amp, it's FAR more capable than the Mustangs and Spiders of old. Bluetooth allows you to stream music and multitask the thing (TV monitor, computer output, iPod output, etc.). If a guitar amplifier is going to take up space in your bedroom, why not allow it to do other things as well? You can completely control the thing from across the room with your iWhatever. And it far more faithfully recreates a 4x12 working hard than does an open-back single-10" speaker in a modeling combo.

Trust me, it will sound FAR better in both your bedroom AND your practice area than any Vypyr.
Quote by dspellman
You probably haven't seen the Amplifi in person. I have.
If you run your iPod (or any other music source) though an Aux on a Vypyr, it's going to sound like crap -- there's just no frequency range there.

The Amplifi represents the future of guitar amps. I've had full-range guitar amps (and not-so-full-range guitar amps) for years. I have a 1971 Carvin solid state amp with a pair of 15" Altec 418-8A's in a huge ported cabinet with a horn midrange/tweeter. For the last several years I've been using a pair of 2x12s that had a pair of Eminence Delta ProA speakers (400W each) in a closed-back ported cabinet with a pair of 1165N piezo tweeters in each cabinet. I ran it with a 1500W SS power amp and a modeler. Bass players have been using wide-range cabinets for years (usually 4x10s with tweeters), but modern speaker cabinets often have an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF (15") driver, a 6.5" mids driver and a 1" tweeter -- essentially a flat-response PA type speaker capable of extreme lows and power handling without farting out. In fact, some well-known bass players have used Meyer Sound PA cabinets as bass cabs. Blackstar just introduced modeling amps with a pair of tweeters in 'em. The idea is to overcome Fletcher Munson at low volumes and still put out respectable gigging power when you need it.

A set of tubes, a heavy iron transformer, much as I love 'em, are old school by 50 years.

The Amplifi goes lower AND higher in a small package than a standard guitar amp. As a modeling amp, it's FAR more capable than the Mustangs and Spiders of old. Bluetooth allows you to stream music and multitask the thing (TV monitor, computer output, iPod output, etc.). If a guitar amplifier is going to take up space in your bedroom, why not allow it to do other things as well? You can completely control the thing from across the room with your iWhatever. And it far more faithfully recreates a 4x12 working hard than does an open-back single-10" speaker in a modeling combo.

Trust me, it will sound FAR better in both your bedroom AND your practice area than any Vypyr.

Seeing as you seem to be the only one here who has played with it or seen it. What are you thoughts? I'm seriously struggling with figuring out what I want to do. I've decided against amplitube for now as i know i'll hate not having a physical amp but I don't know if I will regret going back to a digital modeler (however good it may be)

Right now i'm heavily leaning toward just going with a 6505+ combo and maybe getting an iso cab down the road so I can push the amp a little harder and save some volume.

Any thoughts on that idea? I"m a college student on a budget right now...
Page 1 of 2