Page 1 of 2
I know it sounds oxymoronic, but I'm looking for some hi-fi recorded black metal.
Something along these lines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJm7uXpk3bA

I like to hear black metal players actually play their instruments, not just a bunch of static fuzz. Yes, I know 144p is "kvlt", but that's not what I'm looking for. Are there any other black metal bands that even record in hi-fi?
deafheaven is pretty nice. They mix fairly well. Gorgoroth - decent. Cradel of filth (if you count them black metal...) do good mixing these days. I like Burzum for their mixing as well, not too shabby.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Sounds crazy, but I'd check out Jack Johnson's side project if I were you.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
any modern, established black metal band

OH you should check out Iskald, none of that happy-sounding Deafheaven stuff
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Mar 5, 2014,
yep, check out Deafheaven. they are fucking amazing, I don't care what anyone says. Also, Wolves in The Throne Room and Nachtmystium.
banned
Quote by k.lainad
deafheaven

YES I never heard of these guys til I saw them live last night and HOLY SHIT I was blown away into the next town and I missed the following band
newer satyricon. dimmu borgir
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I really don't get why everyone's losing their shit over Deafheaven, but then I really don't get black metal either. Oh well.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I really don't get why everyone's losing their shit over Deafheaven, but then I really don't get black metal either. Oh well.

They're a good gateway band, before Deafheaven I didn't really understand or care for black metal until the first time I came across Unrequited off of Road to Judah. I still do have a tough time listening to black metal, but when a band utilizes aspects of black metal in their songs I tend to appreciate it quite a bit and I'm slowly starting to open up to it more.
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
That wouldn't be KVLT at all, jk.

Deafheaven, Wolves In The Throne Room, newer Dimmu Borgir, Burzum (joking)
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Celeste, Yellow Eyes, Dodecahedron, Lantlos
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by The Wildchild
Pure shit for gays

ROFL, go back to A.N.U.S.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
Burzum (joking)

It's not a joke bro. Burzum, regardless of if it is considered 'Lo-fi' or not, has some some of the best suited overall sound in the genre.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
It's not a joke bro. Burzum, regardless of if it is considered 'Lo-fi' or not, has some some of the best suited overall sound in the genre.

Oh I know, I love me some Burzum. All his albums from the debut to Filosofem are amazing. But they are definitly lo-fi and TS wanted hi-fi black metal. This is one of the best synth tracks ever. It's like winter/snow converted into music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaFS0ZMHeco
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Last edited by KerNeL_KLuTcH at Mar 6, 2014,
Check out Demonoir by 1349 if you want more 'hi-fi'.
Also I remember it being a cracking album back in the day.
The thing in the OP was horrendous musically. "Hi-fi" production just doesn't really suit black metal though. The music is rough and primal and so the production should match. It's the same thing with thrash and many styles of punk and hardcore.

And honestly TS, you probably don't actually like black metal, which is why you're looking for bands that don't sound like black metal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Mar 6, 2014,
Quote by EpiExplorer
ROFL, go back to A.N.U.S.

Pure shit for gays
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by theogonia777
The thing in the OP was horrendous musically. "Hi-fi" production just doesn't really suit black metal though. The music is rough and primal and so the production should match. It's the same thing with thrash and many styles of punk and hardcore.

And honestly TS, you probably don't actually like black metal, which is why you're looking for bands that don't sound like black metal.

There's still less raw stuff that convey the same atmosphere I suppose?
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
There's still less raw stuff that convey the same atmosphere I suppose?

Well, for example latest Dark Funeral album they have good production but they still have thick reverby sound. Or Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht. That album is all about atmosphere and yet it has good production with little details in the background but the sound is still black metal through and through.

Otherwise I agree with theogonia777. When things get too clean in this kind of music it starts to sound neutered and powerless. For example while I like the Keep Of Kalessin album I posted I absolutely hate the way it sounds.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Yeah I hate metal that sounds like that.

I mean I'm not a huge metal fan anymore anyway, but I appreciate stuff that doesn't sound like that a lot more
Page 1 of 2