Page 1 of 3
Do you actually mean the compliment?

My girlfriend says she finds it gross when guys on the street randomly compliment her because it seems slimy.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51

My girlfriend says she finds it gross when guys on the street randomly compliment her because it seems slimy.

It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I do this a lot but people don't find me very threatening because boobs
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
I do this a lot but people don't find me very threatening because boobs

Sadly, my boobs do not have this power....

I'm a guy by the way
I just watched the video and it just comes across as awkward and creepy and like he's trying to pick them up.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I just watched the video and it just comes across as awkward and creepy and like he's trying to pick them up.

That's what everyone assumes. I tried this once only for one chick to start following me around yelling "Do you think I'm some *****?HUH?!" So, yeah, everyone assumes that it's an opener to try and pick up women.
Even if your intentions are noble if I am with my significant other and you come up and compliment her out of the blue I am going to immediately challenge you to a duel. And I always demand satisfaction.
If you aren't attempting to pick anyone up, why not just compliment everyone?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Honestly, going around complimenting taken women is kind of a major dick move, complimenting single women definitely comes off as creepy too. Well, depends on the compliment. If you go up to a random person and compliment their looks...just no.

In the words of Ron White:

"MY WIFE CAME HOME WITH A STORY THE OTHER DAY.

SHE GOES, "I WAS IN THE PRODUCE DEPARTMENT TODAY,
AND THIS GUY TOLD ME I WAS BEAUTIFUL."
WELL, BABY, HE'S RIGHT. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL.

"YEAH, BUT HE SAID IT."
WELL, I'M SAYIN' IT NOW. YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL.

"YEAH, BUT HE SAID IT."
REALLY? YOU EVER OVERDRAW HIS CHECKIN' ACCOUNT?
YOU EVER DRIVE HIS BRAND-NEW MERCEDES
STRAIGHT THROUGH THE ****IN' GARAGE DOOR?
HAS THAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT GUY?
IT HAPPENED TO ME, AND I THINK YOU'RE SO HOT,
I'D **** YOU ANYWAY.

AND IF YOU'RE ONE OF THESE GUYS GOIN' AROUND IN GROCERY STORES
TELLIN' MARRIED WOMEN THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL,
HEY, **** YOU. "

Sorry for the caps, copy paste
Quote by derkym
Even if your intentions are noble if I am with my significant other and you come up and compliment her out of the blue I am going to immediately challenge you to a duel. And I always demand satisfaction.

That would be super annoying. If you're dating someone pretty, chances are someone will probably compliment her while you're there, and if you act a fool while that happens, she won't be your gf for long. Hell, I get hit on more by my fiance's friends than anyone else - because it's understood that it's completely harmless.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by vintage x metal
That would be super annoying. If you're dating someone pretty, chances are someone will probably compliment her while you're there, and if you act a fool while that happens, she won't be your gf for long. Hell, I get hit on more by my fiance's friends than anyone else - because it's understood that it's completely harmless.

Depends on the circumstances, I think it's kind of silly to expect anyone to put up with flirtations, it's a direct challenge, there ARE situations when it's just your significant other's friends trying to be nice, it's all light-hearted friendship bullshit. Strangers are a different story, that's not friendly at all and it's perfectly acceptable to view it as a guy being too "familiar" with your love. Anyone legitimately flirting with another man's partner, ESPECIALLY when they're right there is a maaajor insult. A simple compliment is fine, but yeah.

To be honest, a woman that happily accepts flirtations and attempts from other men isn't the kind of woman anyone should stay with, unless you don't mind being in an open relationship.
Last edited by Velcro Man at Mar 6, 2014,
Quote by Velcro Man
Depends on the circumstances, I think it's kind of silly to expect anyone to put up with flirtations, it's a direct challenge, there ARE situations when it's just your significant other's friends trying to be nice, it's all light-hearted friendship bullshit. Strangers are a different story, that's not friendly at all and it's perfectly acceptable to view it as a guy being too "familiar" with your love. Anyone legitimately flirting with another man's partner, ESPECIALLY when they're right there is a maaajor insult. A simple compliment is fine, but yeah.

To be honest, a woman that happily accepts flirtations and attempts from other men isn't the kind of woman anyone should stay with, unless you don't mind being in an open relationship.

lol shut up old man
Quote by vintage x metal

Exactly, if it was your friend then of course you know it is harmless. The issue of the thread is complimenting random women. I don't think it's okay to compliment 'random women' based on their looks especially if they are clearly with their boyfriend. I consider that rude, shallow and disrespectful...
Quote by derkym
Exactly, if it was your friend then of course you know it is harmless. The issue of the thread is complimenting random women. I don't think it's okay to compliment 'random women' based on their looks
what?

you've never said "hey you look nice" to a stranger before?
Quote by derkym
Exactly, if it was your friend then of course you know it is harmless. The issue of the thread is complimenting random women. I don't think it's okay to compliment 'random women' based on their looks especially if they are clearly with their boyfriend. I consider that rude, shallow and disrespectful...

Hey babe, looks like you got a great personality going on there!
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Quote by Velcro Man
Try harder

you should try harder to not be a fukn moron lol

if you have a partner i'd put money on you getting pissed up on white lightning and beating her head of the bathroom sink
Quote by willT08
what?

you've never said "hey you look nice" to a stranger before?

No. I would get to know them first and not base my entire judgement on their looks.

Edit: The immaturity of this thread is too much. No use debating children who know nothing about how to treat the opposite sex. When you grow up you will understand. I say good day!
Last edited by derkym at Mar 6, 2014,
Quote by Velcro Man

Oh grow up; people are allowed to flirt with your girl and she's allowed to be flattered by it without it having to kill your precious ego. That's up to you. Be happy you're with a pretty lady who isn't a bitch about it. If she doesn't cheat on you then there is nothing to be mad about - after all, she's with YOU.

Think of it this way. Let's say some girl is flirting with you while your girlfriend is around, but she's not being inappropriate in any way (e.g. she's not harassing you). Very easy way to handle this : you say thank you, and put your arm around your gf, and continue to carry on conversation normally. The wrong way to handle this is to tell the girl to fvck off or to ignore her : that is extremely uncomfortable for all parties involved.

Most people who say that I look nice are being totally harmless. Something harmful would be if someone is touching me inappropriately or saying very harassing/uncomfortable things to me or my fiance.
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by derkym
No. I would get to know them first and not base my entire judgement on their looks.

you helmet
basically lads it shouldn't matter where the motor gets going, as long as it gets parked in the right garage init hahah yeh hmu
Quote by derkym

Edit: The immaturity of this thread is too much. No use debating children who know nothing about how to treat the opposite sex. When you grow up you will understand. I say good day!

GOAT post
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by vintage x metal
Oh grow up; people are allowed to flirt with your girl and she's allowed to be flattered by it without it having to kill your precious ego. That's up to you. Be happy you're with a pretty lady who isn't a bitch about it. If she doesn't cheat on you then there is nothing to be mad about - after all, she's with YOU.

Think of it this way. Let's say some girl is flirting with you while your girlfriend is around, but she's not being inappropriate in any way (e.g. she's not harassing you). Very easy way to handle this : you say thank you, and put your arm around your gf, and continue to carry on conversation normally. The wrong way to handle this is to tell the girl to fvck off or to ignore her : that is extremely uncomfortable for all parties involved.

Most people who say that I look nice are being totally harmless. Something harmful would be if someone is touching me inappropriately or saying very harassing/uncomfortable things to me or my fiance.

I don't know what my point is but my girlfriend works at a bar and is constantly hit on all evening by random guys of all ages. I can't do anything about it obviously and I'm comfortable with her in that environment cos I trust her and she is at work but she really not comfortable with guys basically telling her she looks nice because the intention is more often than not just to get in her pants, and that's how it comes across as.

When she gets compliments that aren't just purely about how "hot" or "pretty" she is such as about her platinum blonde her, or telling her she looks like a princess or Daenerys Targaryen or whatever by women/children shes pretty flattered though.

So I guess the moral of the story is don't be a creep and be creative with your compliments.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
because the intention is more often than not just to get in her pants, and that's how it comes across as.

that's as good an intention as any in my book
Quote by willT08
you should try harder to not be a fukn moron lol

if you have a partner i'd put money on you getting pissed up on white lightning and beating her head of the bathroom sink

It would be nice if you could master basic English before trying to call someone else stupid.

Quote by vintage x metal

It might be uncomfortable if you're...odd, I've never had a problem telling people to **** off, though I've never cared much for people and I am blunt. If it's a situation like you described, it's just fine, but if your partner participates, it's very acceptable to be angry. She has the right to do whatever she wants, including cheat or whatever, but it doesn't mean the guy has to accept it. I would pull her aside and explain the situation and basic human psychology and biology to her and that would be the end of it. I'd be more upset with the guy though, I'd rather just lean over and say "yes, but she's taken" and let that be the end of it, which is okay, still a dick move if it's obvious, but any persistence is basically a slap to the face.

Also, other than the few people that think it's the best way to improve a person's day, but is there any reason to ever compliment a person's looks without trying to express some interest? I sincerely doubt it. When I compliment people, I try to compliment them for their actions or accomplishments, complimenting someone for their looks with no intentions is like complimenting someone for being born.
Last edited by Velcro Man at Mar 6, 2014,
Yeah but girls don't want drunk guys propositioning they want #passion and #romance not just a night of in and out

Quote by Velcro Man
I would pull her aside and explain the situation and basic human psychology and biology to her and that would be the end of it.

you know how i know you've never been in a relationship?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Do you actually mean the compliment?

Yep, I get near-daily complaints from my wife for the same reason.

To guys who do this: stop. It's not chivalrous, nor cute, nor attractive.
My God, it's full of stars!
beta male confirmed

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yeah but girls don't want drunk guys propositioning they want #passion and #romance not just a night of in and out

not from you

i put passion into my in and out because i'm a gentleman and my selling power is dependant on user feedback
Quote by willT08
not from you

i put passion into my in and out because i'm a gentleman and my selling power is dependant on user feedback

Do you really go to bars and try to pick up the barmaids who are working lol if so that's nearly as weird as doing it to random women in the day

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Do you really go to bars and try to pick up the barmaids who are working lol if so that's nearly as weird as doing it to random women in the day

nah but a little flirt as i'm getting my drinks is just fun for all the family
Quote by willT08
nah but a little flirt as i'm getting my drinks is just fun for all the family

yeah and they give you an awkward laugh and say thank you and then forget you ever existed

just how I like it

edit: i've never seen someone be smug that they're shagging a barmaid before
Quote by Velcro Man
It would be nice if you could master basic English before trying to call someone else stupid.

It might be uncomfortable if you're...odd, I've never had a problem telling people to **** off, though I've never cared much for people and I am blunt. If it's a situation like you described, it's just fine, but if your partner participates, it's very acceptable to be angry. She has the right to do whatever she wants, including cheat or whatever, but it doesn't mean the guy has to accept it. I would pull her aside and explain the situation and basic human psychology and biology to her and that would be the end of it. I'd be more upset with the guy though, I'd rather just lean over and say "yes, but she's taken" and let that be the end of it, which is okay, still a dick move if it's obvious, but any persistence is basically a slap to the face.

Also, other than the few people that think it's the best way to improve a person's day, but is there any reason to ever compliment a person's looks without trying to express some interest? I sincerely doubt it. When I compliment people, I try to compliment them for their actions or accomplishments, complimenting someone for their looks with no intentions is like complimenting someone for being born.

Oh snap. This is like Jordan's first three peat. Just incredible.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 3