Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask you guys, what I think may be a technique problem I have. Here goes:

I've been playing for 2 - 3 years now. I still have a lot to learn but I'm somewhat satisfied at my level for now. Recently, I started getting into a lot of neo-classical shred (I come from a blues-based hard rock background). Almost exclusively by Yngwie Malmsteen and Randy Rhoads. Also, a lot of the classical pieces by 17-18th century composers played on guitar.

Here's the problem. When I play, I seem to progress quite fast. After 3 days, I could play the intro to Far Beyond The Sun almost perfectly at full speed. After 1 week, I sort of crashed and burned. I'm stuck. The notes won't come out cleanly anymore, I'm slowing down. It's extremely frustrating.

Is this a technique problem? I'm really not sure. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
It might be a technique issue but it's more or less impossible to tell from that information; really we'd need to see you play.

Personally I'd be more inclined to call it an off-day or two and leave it. If you're playing material that's very strenuous and you're not used to it you can easily burn yourself out a bit; your body needs to get at least a bit conditioned to the kind of playing you're doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.