So I'm into a very wide variety of styles, and want to get an amp that can cover most of the ground I need. I've been looking into Fender Twins because I read that they work well as platforms for pedal usage. The clean sounds are great to my ears (just from the few chances I've had to hear one played for a few minutes), though it was turned up quite loud. I know I should be trying to pay one of these myself, and I am, but will they still sound decent used at bedroom volumes? I don't need to get tube saturation, but I don't want it to sound thin.

Also, I know these things barely do any kind of overdrive on their own, but if I get some good distortion pedals can it still handle a crunchy, marshall-style distortion? And will it take fuzz effects well? I need to go from shimmery cleans (which it obviously does) to raunchy, fuzzed-out bliss. Sorry for sounding like a noob, I just haven't had much of a chance to play with tube amps at all. I have no car and live in BFE where I might see a Fender Twin maybe once every two years in our local guitar shop.
I'd say it would work nice.
Then, some stuff about what you wrote...

The thing will sound nice at bedroom volumes - not whisper volumes.
I mean if you get the thing at the volume of you talking it will sound nice, and if you get the thing at loud tv volume it will probably sound a bit nicer but not even that much.
Also, these things turned up loud get to kinda a bit (a big bit) more than "barely any kind of overdrive".

But I kinda have a question for ya:
why do you want a clean amp to use with pedals over "an amp that can cover most of the ground I need."?
And if I got the thing wrong and you just want a versatile amp, follow this link and update your post with some more info so we can advise you properly with an amp that suits your needs - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I guess I was under the wrong impression as far as how they break up as you crank the volume. My bad.

Main reason I've run into for wanting a clean amp to use pedals with, is because I have yet to see anything in my price range than can do everything I want. I just figured I'd supplement the clean sound with some pedals to get any other textures I'd need. I will update with more info in the thread you linked to. Thank you!

edit: feel like a derp, I just realized that wasnt a thread.

-budget - I'd like to spend 1k or less, maybe a little more if need be

-my favorite genres include hard rock (classic kinda stuff and fuzzy stoner rock are favorites of me), blues, thrash metal, cant think of anything else that fits me well enough but I need versatility. Some of my favorite tones are James Hetfield's rhythm tone off Kill Em All, J Mascis's overdriven tone on every song ever. I need a good clean sound but I can't think of a good reference point. I find myself playing very pretty, clean, chord-based stuff quite often and use these sounds to contrast heavy overdriven tones

-I do NOT mind buying used, and in fact I already planned on it

-usage; I plan to use this for bedroom use, playing at small clubs, getting heard over a heavy-handed drummer while still having headroom

-closest city...I live in WV. You could count Charleston, WV, but I don't know of any good music stores there. Colombus, OH, maybe, but I don't have a vehicle to get there.

-current gear - BC Rich JRV-7, Johnson Strat Copy (set up for slide), Fender Princeton Chorus, a couple pedals such as a Pro Co Rat2 and Boss BF-3 Flanger. I'm rebuilding a decent rig...
Last edited by Ashakoh at Mar 6, 2014,
i asked the same question a couple of weeks ago
pulled the trigger and got an 76 TR silverface
I use it for stoner, hardrock, punkrock,...
think bands like Zeke, None More Black, Red Fang, ...
I have a fuzz in front of it , a tubescreamer,... the amp takes it all well!
I'd look into some used ENGL Fireball or EVH 5150 III or Jet City JCA100HDM.

Anyway if you can't find any, I'd say the original TR idea would work as well.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Good to know. So a Silverface TR won't sound thin at bedroom volumes? Also, I don't know if I should've mentioned this or not but where I've got a seven-string I'm a bit worried about having a tight bass response when I do high-gain sounds. I don't mind changing out speakers and planned on doing it anyway, so will that still be doable?

I'll definitely be making a road trip to at least play around with some amps, and hopefully will have the chance to run into a TR to test out. Until then I'm trying to narrow down my search.

Between the TR and the 3 that were suggested I'm leaning towards the TR solely because it looks like I'm going to spend less on that than getting a combo or head/cab setup for the EVH, ENGL, OR Jet City...and I've got lotsa guitar things to start buying as soon as I've got this amp out of my way.
Just throwing this out there, you can find Mesa tremoverbs for that much. Also if you can stretch a little you can even get a Mesa Roadster for around budget.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent