Hi everyone!

This is a spin-off of a I started. Well, I already rescued the guitar from the pawnshop! So my next step is to refurbish it. Problem is, I don't know how to. I am not even a fan of floyd rose tremolos but maybe it is time to deal with it because I like this guitar. However, I need to let you all know that I am on a tight budget. I'm living paycheck to paycheck and barely have extras after all the bills are paid.

May I ask help from you o' guitar masters?
What should I do first and next? I was thinking of replacing all the screws because they are all corroded or rusted.
How do I clean the floyd rose parts?

etc... etc... etc...

Thank you!

Here is a site with decent quality parts and great prices. Just measure your stuff first
www.guitarfetish.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would definitely suggest replacing the cheaper parts where possible. In theory you can clean the corrosion up in vinegar or other mild acid but I've tried it and never been very impressed. And when you've got black finished parts like you have it's never going to put the lost finish back.

You should be able to get screws for pennies on eBay. You may also be able to find individual parts for the Floyd and lock nut, but be sure to check Guitar Fetish like Robb suggested 'cause they might just work out cheaper than getting parts.

If it were me, I'd probably see about making sure it was electrically sound before cleaning/replacing the corroded parts as and when I could afford to. At least that way you can enjoy playing it while you're saving up.

Should be a good project. We got my daughter a Peavey Raptor for her first guitar and it's a great little instrument.
to add on, depending on how "good" you want it to look, if you touch up the screws and such with vinegar, then you could use some black paint and go over all the screws, so they were atleast uniform, depending on your preference. Granted, you probably would also want to sand them a smidge before painting, so you don't have high/low spots. And frankly, i would replace the trem, because if you rebuild from individual parts, your risking improper fits (i learned the hard way recently, and that was with a hardtail).

also, what up with that strap button? it looks like its 2 put together
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
^ its called a straplock
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Good for standard stuff, but they dont carry 7 string parts.

I didn't realize TS guitar was a 7string

This site does do 7's and is worth a look www.guitarheads.net
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I apologize for not mentioning what kind of guitar this is. It is a Peavey Predator Plus TR7 and yes it is a 7-string. I got a 7-string not because I am by any means a virtuoso but only because I like the thought of having a drop-A 7th string but still have a standard tuned set of 6-strings. I broke a finger and playing chords is easier for me with a drop tuning.

Quote by von Layzonfon
If it were me, I'd probably see about making sure it was electrically sound before cleaning/replacing the corroded parts as and when I could afford to. At least that way you can enjoy playing it while you're saving up.

So far, I plugged it in and I have to move my cord plug a little to make the guitar sound through the amp. I opened the input jack of the guitar and it seems that it is still attached. Do you think a contact cleaner would do the trick?

About the rusted screws, do you think a hardware would have them?

I am planning to disassemble the guitar for cleaning especially the floyd rose. My problem is putting it back together and tuning it, any tip? I am not good with floyds in the past. I couldn't level the floating bridge.

Thanks!
I already took the guitar apart. Input jack is corroded, so I will replace it.

Which should I replace first: Floyd Rose bridge or pickup? Floyd Rose still looks good but the pickup looks crap.

If you think I should replace pickup first, which is better: or ? I may have budget for the bridge pup only for now. I often use the bridge pup only anyway.

If you masters think that I should replace the floyd bridge too, I think I can come up with a little bit more. Does look good?
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ its called a straplock

Ooops; that's what I get for not looking at the pictures better. Sorry.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
That trem you're looking at on Ebay is a Floyd Rose Special it's Korean Floyd... their good. Just make sure you get all the parts with it. You'll have to intoneate the guitar as well. Good luck with your project.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Never heard the Anvil pickup. The Guitarheads pickups are not bad, but they are not great either they may or may not be better than the pickups in it

You may want to look at some used 7 string pickups on Ebay from Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan

You also want to get the dimensions of your Floyd and the post spacing and see if the one on ebay is actually compatable with no modifications. Not all FR bridges are the same size and spacing so be aware.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Mar 9, 2014,
ok, heres my two pence (or cents) worth:

1. put some strings on the guitar and play it for a while first - no point doing anything if it plays like a bag of turd anyway (for instance, the neck might be twisted or need refretting - better to find out before you spend anything)

2. Leave the original pickups in unless they don't work - peavey will have spent more than $30 dollars worth in there and even if they looked knacked - its about the sound and you could always spray the fronts.

3. When you set the Floyd rose up, stick something under the back of it between the clamp nuts and the body (I use a metal rule but you MUST protect the body) thus preventing it dropping into the body when you take the strings off, when you put the new strings on loosen the springs until the trem lifts slightly. remove your 'blocker' and the springs should be set to floating position - there are you tube vids for this but its actually quite easy once you know how - look at a few vids cause a lot of people over complicate it as though its some sort of dark art!

4. Use all the original stuff - its gonna be better than you can afford! strip everything and use a fine wire brush and some scouring pads to remove most of the rust then spray them with a quick blast of satin black car paint
Hello everyone! I took your advises, I will be keeping by humbuckers and floyd rose for the time being coz they still work anyway.

Update:
I took off all the metals like screws, bolts, etc. I kept them in cider vinegar because I read they are good in removing rust and corrosion. It worked great! Except that, it also took off black paint from some parts. So, I guess I will have a floyd rose system with a mixture of black and metallic colors! Do I need the paint them again? If yes, how?
It's a matter of what look your going for but if you've gone to the trouble of removing the rust I guess your not after a 'Relic' look. As its clear your probably not that experienced with a spray can I'll try and explain

Strip the entire thing into components then lay them all out on a board with the parts on the middle and about 4 inch clear all around.

Start at the top corner of the board and treat it as though your painting the board rather than the parts, spray from one side right across to the other then release the spray once you've made it together edge.

Keep your distance with the can (about 6 inch or so at least) and keep a consistent and reasonably quick speed

Let it dry for a while, it doesn't take long, then turn them over and do the other side

Reverse direction and do the same back across side to side working down as you go and overlapping the spray lines.

This seems wasteful but ensures consistency.

Have a few goes on some waste stuff, cause if you get it wrong it's a pain to get back off if you put too much on and you get runs.

Use a satin or matt black spray as the results are easier to achieve.