This is something I've had trouble with for a long time. What is the correct technique for playing at frets 1 to 3. I always seem to have a sort of claw shape up there, which in turn stresses the back of my hand out, forearm and shoulder. Also, as a result, my wrist is then bent, which I learnt a while ago, is bad.

At the higher frets, it falls into place, straight arm relaxed,fingers not lopsided etc (not quite there, but much better). I'm determined to fix my technique after finding out what was wrong with it by watching a video of me and a friend doing a dual cover, videos of me playing solo and reading around online, what's the best way to do it? Scales?

Practiced guitar today and it was actually quite fun (this new guitar feels great!) even if I didn't get much done and was incredibly rusty, but it seems the natural place that my hand wants to be at is just behind the neck, which, unless I'm playing air guitar is no good

Another thing is timing. Another longstanding problem I've had. If I have the source material playing as I'm playing I don't have an issue, but I want to lose the source material and just play
might be worth checking your strap length. that can sometimes affect that (assuming i've understood correctly what you wrote).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
At the higher frets, it falls into place, straight arm relaxed,fingers not lopsided etc (not quite there, but much better). I'm determined to fix my technique after finding out what was wrong with it by watching a video of me and a friend doing a dual cover, videos of me playing solo and reading around online, what's the best way to do it? Scales?

Best thing to do is find a good local guitar teacher, this stuff is nearly impossible to fix online.

Practiced guitar today and it was actually quite fun (this new guitar feels great!) even if I didn't get much done and was incredibly rusty, but it seems the natural place that my hand wants to be at is just behind the neck, which, unless I'm playing air guitar is no good

Try this - get yourself comfortable in a kind of air-guitar position. Move the guitar into that position. See if it works!

Too often people try and move themselves to suit the guitar, when it's often easier the other way around.

Another thing is timing. Another longstanding problem I've had. If I have the source material playing as I'm playing I don't have an issue, but I want to lose the source material and just play

Try practising with the source material, then practising with a metronome at the same speed. Tapping your foot to the beat often really helps, try doing this as you listen and play.