Considering a new guitar in the next couple months.

PRS and LP Stnd or Traditional are in the back of my mind but i also don't have an american strat yet.

Got a MIM Roadworn and a MIM standard that I love.

Those are my go to guitars, so im thinking i want a new strat with HSS config.

Blues, Classic Rock, 80 rock - That's what i play

What are your thoughts on the standard, deluxe, or select.

Got about 2500$ to play with, but cheaper and happy is always better than expensive and not quite satisfied.
Select
Deluxe
MIA.

IMO, that's the order of quality.

Select: 'Select' wood, one off or limited designs, custom pickups, flame necks/fretboards, locking tuners, nitro finish.

Deluxe: Gold hardware, Noiseless pickups, S1 switching, 2 point trem.

Standard: None of the above.

Select guitars are great guitars and are quite possibly the best non CS guitars you can get from Fender, as are some AVRI. You should be looking at them too. Notably the 56', 59' and 65' American Vintage Reissue Strats.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

if i had $2500 and wanted a strat i'd be looking for a used j. cruz masterbuilt.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^Yeah. You can get some crazy good custom shops for that much money. That's where I'd be looking.

I think the Selects are overpriced. You're within spitting distance of some fantastic Custom Shop guitars (and well within it, if you go used) but instead you get a few upgrades on a MIA with a gaudy top. It looks like prices have come down on them a bit since they first came out, but I was not particularly impressed by the ones I played, especially next to the AVRI or CS Fenders you could have in a similar price range.
Thanks for pointing out the AVFR, hadn't looked at those. Have to play them to hear the difference in pups.

Was thinking i needed something with a little bite in the bridge.
With a $2500 budget you can have whatever you want in the bridge. No sense limiting your options by sticking with the stock pickups.
I love my Select Tele. It's the shit. Lightweight body, custom pickups, carved top, empress wood, locking tuners, hard tweed case more than make up the £500 price difference. I really can't tell you how good it is, but maybe it's a good example.

You don't get Cruz masterbuilds for £1800 here. They never show up online and they'd be more like £3000 seeing they're £4000+ new. But you do get CS 56 Strats used around that price, but I wouldn't know how they'd compare to a AVRI 56.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I should have specified used. My bad.

And fwiw we don't know where the TS is.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 6, 2014,
From a cost/benefit stanpoint the Standard is the best guitar.

The deluxe has the s1 switching and noiseless pickups which i don't consider necessary on a Strat. However the neck on the Deluxe is awesome. If you're going to drop $1600 on a guitar you may want to look at the Silhouette Special from Musicman. I own one and a Strat - it beats a Strat ( though it has smaller vintage style frets).

The select is definitely more of a luxury item.
Quote by reverb66
From a cost/benefit stanpoint the Standard is the best guitar.

The deluxe has the s1 switching and noiseless pickups which i don't consider necessary on a Strat. However the neck on the Deluxe is awesome. If you're going to drop $1600 on a guitar you may want to look at the Silhouette Special from Musicman. I own one and a Strat - it beats a Strat ( though it has smaller vintage style frets).

The select is definitely more of a luxury item.

yup i went in to buy a select series hss and ended up walking out with a 2012 standard stratocaster fsr.

you could actually get a used standard strat and a used standard tele and still have probably $800 or both brand new and still have like $250 +.

V neck instead of C

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/fsr-american-standard-stratocaster-v-neck-rosewood-fingerboard-mystic-3-color-sunburst/

i like some of the artists series too

the clapton
http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/eric-clapton-stratocaster-maple-fingerboard-olympic-white/

John Mayer
http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/john-mayer-stratocaster-african-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

the eric johnson looks coool.
song stuck in my head today

And you'd still have two lesser guitars.

I hear and see a gulf in quality between my Select Tele and my MIM, it even sounds a whole lot better then my 52 RI.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
And you'd still have two lesser guitars.

I hear and see a gulf in quality between my Select Tele and my MIM, it even sounds a whole lot better then my 52 RI.

in my opinion as someone who seriously looked at a select series, It was not worth the extra cash over a Mia standard.

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Mar 7, 2014,
Of course, in my opinion. I'd wager that most people would say that my Select Tele sounds better than all my other Teles. Including the 52 AVRI.

You either want the best tone possible and are willing to pay what it costs or you aren't.

My 52 was £1600, that's a fair amount nicer in lots of ways over a MIA, £400 more is a price I'm happy with. The Select is £200 more again and is a lot nicer than a MIA and a fair amount nicer than the RI Teles I've played. It just adds up to me.

Strats are different to Teles, but relatively they make sense, and there's more upgrades on the Strat.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
Of course, in my opinion. I'd wager that most people would say that my Select Tele sounds better than all my other Teles. Including the 52 AVRI.

You either want the best tone possible and are willing to pay what it costs or you aren't.

My 52 was £1600, that's a fair amount nicer in lots of ways over a MIA, £400 more is a price I'm happy with. The Select is £200 more again and is a lot nicer than a MIA and a fair amount nicer than the RI Teles I've played. It just adds up to me.

Strats are different to Teles, but relatively they make sense, and there's more upgrades on the Strat.

Fair enough also when I was looking they were brand new were talking $1000 more and personally I enjoyed the fat 50's over the select pick ups.Plus I'd feel awful getting any ding on that select series.

Nitro is nitro, it'll happen. I've got a few dings on mine, but in all honesty I'm sure there must be a fair amount of plasticiser in the Select finishes. It's more like a Gibson nitro finish than a AVRI finish.

The upper part of the body has a fair amount of scratches from strumming, but you need to look closely.

Imagine dinging a R9! I don't really give a shit, hence why mine looks 10 years old after a year!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

kinda doubt you'll find a Master built for that money even used. team built yes. personally I think you can do just fine with the standard US model and just put new pups in to taste and end up with a great guitar. the deluxe has the compound radius neck (starting with 2012 models) but not a fan of the pups. I do like the selects but have only played an HSS one so need more time in with them.
Wow $2500 is a lot of scratch for a guitar. I could never gig with that for fear that someone might walk off with it while I am in the head.

I mostly gig with a Std USA Tele and Strat, $600 used. True single coil classic Fender tone and very nice necks. Every once in a while I play a stage with cheap lighting dimmers that cause a lot of hum and I miss those noiseless pickups that can be found on a Deluxe series but I prefer the tone of true single coils.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
$2,500 for a Strat? I might faint!

I'll show you a couple of options in Fender, and then some other companies that are well worth their salt. This may come as a surprise to some, but if you like that Traditional Stratocaster sound and feel, and you want it in quality, I actually wouldn't go with G&L. G&L is thicker, broader, and overall just a 'bigger' sounding guitar. I don't think the Legacies and Comanches are true "strats," if you will.

My big advice is to not get a Re-Issue model. Don't play over $2G's for a guitar with a 6-screw tremolo. Bleh.

This is a special edition Select, and a Deluxe. Definitely my two favorite Strats of 2014 right now.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratASExBC/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratADHM3TS/

As far as custom, this guy possibly makes the best Strats I've played:
http://www.ronkirn.com/

And another name in the running for possibly best Strat I've played:
http://www.nashguitars.com/

And I've played a lot of Strats. Both of those guys start building customs for about $1,600, and will go up depending on what you need.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
You know they have rolled fretboards, super thin nitro, hardcase, vintage accurate pickups, tuners etc. They're great guitars. Saying that the trem is the big factor points towards bias, and that negates your argument! There's a reason why 1956 is considered a classic year of Strats, and lots of people think that they are recreating them perfectly, that's gotta count for something!

I was looking at that Select, but I decided on a 52 Tele.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
You know they have rolled fretboards, super thin nitro, hardcase, vintage accurate pickups, tuners etc. They're great guitars. Saying that the trem is the big factor points towards bias, and that negates your argument! There's a reason why 1956 is considered a classic year of Strats, and lots of people think that they are recreating them perfectly, that's gotta count for something!

I was looking at that Select, but I decided on a 52 Tele.

It's commonly held that the six screw falls out of tune when used far, far, far, far easier than the two-point tremolo. Especially if you plan to float it.
Quote by JustRooster
Don't play over $2G's for a guitar with a 6-screw tremolo. Bleh.

whoa there spunky pickle.
I'll rephrase:

Don't pay over $2G for a 6-screw if you plan to use it regularly and want to stay in tune. I've got a Lonestar Strat right now. It's got locking tuners, bone nut, the vintage style saddles and a 6 screw. All of the parts that are in contact with the strings are known to be good for tuning, but the trem still finds a way to get wonky.

The plate doesn't raise evenly in the way that a 2-point can. Even with the claw angle set as far towards the bass side as it will go, you're still relying on an even flex of an aluminum plate held to wood by screws. There have been tons of better trems developed since the 6-screw (which was the first Strat version, by the way).

I'm pretty opinionated on it, I guess. But I play surf rock and rockabilly jazz in a band of mine. I use my Strat trems pretty heavily, to the point where I have to rely on them to stay in tune through use through an entire piece. I've yet to find success in that with a 6-screw.

EDIT: I've got the day off. I think I'm going to spend it playing around with the setup on the Lonestar and seeing what it takes to get a reliable float on it. Will post results later.
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 7, 2014,
How did SRV stay in tune?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Again, in a float. SRV used 5 springs and slammed the Trem. And just because his guitars stayed in tune (which, watch the live videos, he goes out of tune on more than a couple occasions) doesn't disprove the fact that the Two-Point is a better trem.

And, as a side note, outside of Lenny I can think of a song where SRV used a super heavy trem and didn't solo out the rest of song. It's easy to bend to pitch when you're out of tune.

Also, here's the first live vide for Lenny on youtube. At about 6:00 you can hear him out of tune. 6:25 the hammer ons are sharp.

I mean, it still sounds badass, it's Stevie, but if we're willing to argue about this, it's a point to be raised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFS_4nAfF4k
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 7, 2014,
I get your point, it's a better trem, but if you want a vintage correct tone, then you need all the parts that give it that tone. It does a decent job regardless and mine stays in tune pretty well. Maybe for you it's not suited though.

About him about out, I don't hear it, man. It sounds pretty much solid throughout the whole thing. It would be out pretty much everywhere from that point, and I can't really hear it.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
I get your point, it's a better trem, but if you want a vintage correct tone, then you need all the parts that give it that tone. It does a decent job regardless and mine stays in tune pretty well. Maybe for you it's not suited though.

Quote by Mephaphil

Watch his vids. SRV was ferocious on guitar and pulled his out of tune all the time. He would re-tune on the fly or break strings and change axes in the middle of a song without missing a note. A phenom!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I was being rhetorical.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil

pretty sure he didn't. he switched guitars relatively regularly on stage. a couple songs each and then a swap.

jake - i think there is so much going on with a strat trem it's really tough to nail it down to one thing or another. my belief is the nut is overlooked a lot by techs. a properly cut nut makes a huge difference on any non-locking nut trem guitar. i also agree that the two point system is a big step up.

i had really good luck with my old custom 24. i could do the opening of kickstart my heart and didn't have a problem staying in tune. if it ever wonked out, a quick pull up and it was back in. (again, probably a nut issue)