I have been using D'addario 10-59 for the most part, because most shops in my area carry nothing else for 7 string. What I'm trying to find is a good heavy set to drop tune to play metal. I have found many sets, but am lost, because most do not have enough online reviews to be conclusive, or most reviews are of mixed opinions at best. I was seeing if someone can give me some good opinions on some good heavy guage strings they've use on their 7 string, or 6 string if that company makes a version for the 7 string. Thank you guys.
Depends what you mean by heavy, 'cause my 6 string set is bigger than your 7's.
A friend of mine is a fan of ernie's cobalt coated anyway, so have a look at them maybe.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Try searching up string sets specifically made for drop tuning, they're usually labeled as "light top heavy bottom"
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
Check out the DDT strings by DR, they are heavy gauge made for low tuning. They have an 11-65 7 string set
I've been playing dunlop heavy core's lately and have been loving them. Unless you have an extended scale, something not much more than a 62 would probably be pretty good. I was playing drop b with a set of 13-65's and it just didn't sound good (on a 26" scale 6 string) nor did it feel all that great. Play around with them and see what you like. Dunlop heavy cores are my favorites and Ive stuck with them for a couple years so far
Thanks for replies....DDT was a string I was looking into but got mixed signals from the few reviewers I could find. A few loved them, but some had problem with the wind on the strings coming apart, so I was a bit nervous. I've been really thinking about the heavy core, but can only find them with the 60 on the low b. I have seen a bit on the Ernie Ball Cobalts. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they worth the price? 7 bucks more than I can get a set of Heavy Core for.
Just grab a few different packs and experiment. It's not like it's an expensive thing to do.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Just grab a few different packs and experiment. It's not like it's an expensive thing to do.

I get what your saying. Problem is I'm a bit cash strapped, and need new picks, cables, and a pedal power supply. None of these are expensive alone but add up, so I'm trying to avoid experimenting if at all possible.
Quote by kramer242
Thanks for replies....DDT was a string I was looking into but got mixed signals from the few reviewers I could find. A few loved them, but some had problem with the wind on the strings coming apart, so I was a bit nervous. I've been really thinking about the heavy core, but can only find them with the 60 on the low b. I have seen a bit on the Ernie Ball Cobalts. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they worth the price? 7 bucks more than I can get a set of Heavy Core for.

The cobalts weren't worth it. They felt very "grabby" if that makes sense. almost like rubbing your fingers across a metal file. I didn't like them and they weren't worth the price. Regular ernie balls are fine. Nothing special. I like the titanium ernie balls (if you like coated strings). I started out playing DR's which were good for the price. moved to EB's which were a little bit better. And am now playing the heavy core's and will likely not be switching any time soon. they just sound and feel better and last a long time.

and for a low b, you honestly won't need much more than a 56. try and find something like a 10-56 set or something along those lines. or get a pack of strings you like (the dunlops for example) in a 6 string set and just by a few singles so you can figure out what gauge you like for the low b.
Quote by thusuntotyrants
Check out the DDT strings by DR, they are heavy gauge made for low tuning. They have an 11-65 7 string set

I can vouch for these. Not the 7 string set, but I have used the medium set and they are pretty good strings.
banned
I honestly recommend the DR 7 string 11 - 65 in drop A if you love high tension. I prefer very heavy strings. but you may prefer lighter
Quote by kalyan2
I honestly recommend the DR 7 string 11 - 65 in drop A if you love high tension. I prefer very heavy strings. but you may prefer lighter

Well this was well worth the 2 month bump.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt

i say this every damn time. $5 a set give or take a buck.

try some different strings. also you could try to find a online tension calculator to see the equivalent to where you are now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I use 10-59's on my 26.5 scale 7 string in Drop G...perfect tension holding on a nice low action, not too tight that you have to put weight into a bend but not flopping around all over the place...think theyre D'addario XL's...Used to use Eb's but found they just dont like my 7as odd as that sounds....
Guitars
Jackson JS-227
JT Les Paul custom
LTD H-208
Ibanez RG 350
Fender '89 Strat
Worst Encore ever made
Fender acoustic thing

Gear
Boss ME-50 MFX
Peavey VYPYR VIP II
Quote by kramer242

I just bought an 11-50 DDT set and it might be partially my fault here but, I did have two strings break on the DDT while installing them. I think I'll stick with Ernie Ball for the most part. I did see GHS has some sets running into the 60s. Worst case scenario, I'll just do something ghetto like run 10-46's and grab a bass 60+ for the low B (I use drop A). I just find EB is pretty solid and finding the best gauge for my odd tastes (Drop Everything) is trouble. The heavy bottom string packs are a pretty good move.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer