Hey guys, I've got a bit of an issue. I currently own a Schecter Damien Platinum guitar, and it came with a Floyd Rose Special. I've been having issues with the bridge, but not the usual ones. I've repeatedly taken it in to the guitar tech at Guitar Center (old guy, seemed to know what he was doing).
Basically, the first problem arose while I was doing some bends with my A string (nothing too dramatic, mainly just vibrato). The string slipped out of the bridge (partially), and I was worried to fix it when I realized the problem was in the bridge. So I brought it in, the guy claimed that it had simply slid out, so he put it back in for free. A similar problem happened to my low E a few days later, and it was way detuned (this time I had not even played it, it was in my case).
Remembering what the guy said, I just unlocked the nut and loosened up the saddle, cut the damaged part of the string off (it was a little unwound), and put it back in. Played pretty well afterwards. So now, a week later, my low e developed an extreme buzz. I can play it open, or anywhere on the neck and it buzzes (but it's a wierd sounding buzz, it sounds as if the "inner workings" of the string are buzzing, if that makes sense. Kind of a bit like streching sounds, though my bridge is leveled out).
So my question is, did I mess something up somewhere down the line, or is my bridge the culprit? Could it because it's a Korean-made special, and not a German-made original?
Thanks for any replies, but please try to be helpful/understanding.
Last edited by Domguy99 at Mar 6, 2014,
Got a pretty good idea as to what happened. The windings are slipping off the core. The trick? Crush the string with a pair of pliers before you put it in the bridge.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You probably need a new string. Mine made the same sound before it went spaghetti on me.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by oneblackened
Got a pretty good idea as to what happened. The windings are slipping off the core. The trick? Crush the string with a pair of pliers before you put it in the bridge.

Alright, I'll give it a try. Just to make sure, you mean crush as in putting the string under the pliers and pressing down, right?
Also, update. I left the guitar alone after I made the thread, and came back to it a couple hours later, and the string was no longer so buzzy. It does have an "airy" sound to it though. Does anyone know what could have caused all this to begin with?
Final update: I tried the thing with the pliers, it seemed to work. The string also seemed to be slipping out of the saddle, it's all fixed now. Thanks a lot to everyone who answered