So, I won't go so far as to say I've seen it very many times, but in the past few months I've seen at least a couple instances of people who I considered to be very 'tech-savvy' saying things along the lines of:

Using an anti-virus program in 2014? Really?

And I've heard someone suggest that they don't really provide anything that isn't already present in your computer's "internal" antivirus protection--I take this to mean whatever it is that just come standard on Windows. I'm running windows 7 btw.

I'm pretty far from educated on the matter, so any of you nerdy (read: smart) computer people let me know the deal! Because I'll tell you what, my shitty netbook is slow as balls and if turning off my Avast! antivirus can free up some RAM and the risk isn't so bad I'm just gonna say **** it and raw-dog my way through the internet from now on.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Mar 6, 2014,
Quote by vilk
Because I'll tell you what, my shitty netbook is slow as balls and if turning off my Avast! antivirus can free up some RAM and the risk isn't so bad I'm just gonna say **** it and raw-dog my way through the internet from now on.

You are a free spirit. Fly on, free spirit.

I've been using Firefox, NoScript, and AdBlock since I bought this laptop new last year and the performance hasn't dipped very noticeably.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
It's ok the plague of viruses/worms/trojans/vikings you will inevitably be attacked by will be courteous and consume less RAM than your typical antivirus
ggg1 ggg3

AV is not worth it. Turn off Java, enable Adblock, no script, and common sense, and you'll be fine.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It's always the people who worry a lot about viruses that get so much of them (my cousin had around 250 lol and he had PAID for an antivirus program). I've gotten one computer virus in my life and it's cuz someone else got it and then gave me something on a USB and it transferred then. I've transferred 2 terrabytes of pirated material in my life and the one time I get it is from someone else with an antivirus.

Don't know if I'm incredibly lucky or if an antivirus will euchre your life, but I don't use them.
Just download more RAM, mate. It's fine.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

depends how much you have to spare. if you have a shitty computer and common sense going without an antivirus is definitely the way to go, hardly the end of the world. if you have an awesome computer and plenty of resources to spare most of the time then going without an antivirus/general PC maintenance program is just making stuff harder for yourself
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Trowzaa
Just download more RAM, mate. It's fine.

*rams

obviously you're not up to date with all the technical jargon.

if your computer is slow, get like 3 more rams and voila! problem solved.
If you have to ask, then yes you do need it. Just use one that doesn't use a lot of memory and turn off all the superfluous functions of it.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
What you really need is a new ram.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I'm rockin an Acer Aspire One AOD270.

If I regularly update the OS, wouldn't it have MSE installed already then?
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
If you have to ask, then yes you do need it. Just use one that doesn't use a lot of memory and turn off all the superfluous functions of it.

what would you deem a superfluous function?
Listen. I'm sorry.
A common reason for the slowness is the on-access scanning function. This means that it scans essentially every file you open before you open it, causing the delay. Some AVs let you disable on access scan and only scan when required. As someone mentioned above you can disable some features you don't want to help out.

The main cause of virus infection is just user error, clicking on something they shouldn't downloading dodgy things and going to shitty websites, and not keeping thins up to date.
Always update java, flash, adobe reader, and Windows updates as well as anything else you use (those are just common causes for infection). Firewall is also crucial to keeping safe, most routers have this built in and Windows firewall does a good job as well.

Being an IT tech myself I haven't used an antivirus software for 6 years, I just run a few different scanners once every few weeks and have never had any detections.

Basically, if you are skilled in IT and can recover from an infection, don't worry about one. If you don't feel capable of fixing your computer, then yes, it is definitely worth the RAM and CPU usage.
dont open shoddy exe and backup important shit regularly.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
ITT: computer illiterate people think you can't write malware for Mac OS
Quote by vilk
what would you deem a superfluous function?

I use Avast which features several dedicated "shields" that monitor web rep, gadgets, mail, P2P, IM, etc. The only ones I have installed are the file shield and web shield. Whenever I'm not doing anything memory intensive I just let it run; you can always turn it off when recording or gaming or whatever you need to do. Better to spend a few cycles here and there than energy sorting out malware.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Why do you want AV?

You got three options really:

1) RAM Upgrade (or new PC/Laptop)
2) Configure your AV to not scan or be active while your using it, so have it perform its tasks at night or in the mornings before you use it. (most likely once a week along with disc cleanup and defrag and perfomance check)
3) Don't bother with AV. IF your just using your computer for coming on UG and watching youtube/facebook etc. Then AV isnt really that important to be honest. Especiallly seeing as with cloud computing you can store all your important files online.

My biggest suggestion would be just to remove the AV, cancel your subscription (if you have one) and then just make sure anything that you don't have anything on your PC that you wouldnt want to lose

Cloud Computing!

Use a service like Google Drive, OneDrive (aka skydrive), ubuntu one and there are many more. They usually offer 5gb+ free storage to start with and its a great way of keeping your stuff backed up.

I paid for 100gb storage on google drive and i just store all my photos on there, my programming source code, work documents etc.... and its always safe. The only reason i bought 100gb is because my videos are fairly large and i really culdnt be assed to convert them to a nicer format lol.

obviously this is all assuming you use your computer more or less just for browsing online. I dont know what you use your machine for specifically.

AV seems to be more useful in network situations in 2014, rather than single machines. But defiantly should use it if you have the computer resources.
I use Microsoft Security Essentials, which is pretty light and non intrusive, also Firefox with adblock (I don't use NoScript because the last time I tried it, it screwed up the pages I was seeing and I couldn't be arsed to configure it correctly) and a good dose of common sense and I have no troubles whatsoever.
Quote by captainsnazz
I'm a mac user and what is this?

Quote by chronic_stp
Mac user here. What are these "viruses" you speak of?

This things that attack any remotely valuable piece of technology. Don't worry about them.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by chronic_stp
Mac user here. What are these "viruses" you speak of?

A "virus" is a thing that makes PCs run as poorly as Macs.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If you don't have AV, how do you know your system is virus free? It might be sat there logging your keystrokes when you go to the bank website etc.

I use AV, Noscript, AdBlock, firewall on PC, firewall on router. PC backs up to non-MS based NAS running separate AV. I'm as virus free as my Kaspersky can tell.

I've dealt with infections before for others, and know people who've lost money due to keyloggers so I'm maybe a bit more paranoid than the average computer user.
I love how mac users think they can't be touched. hahahaha seriously mac users are so gullible.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
people who I considered to be very 'tech-savvy'

Those people sound like experts.

What they should really be saying is, "It's 2014 and you're still worrying about how much RAM your AV uses? Why don't you just have 16GB like everyone else? You should be able to run five antivirus programs without even putting a dent in your RAM usage."
Quote by archangels
Those people sound like experts.

What they should really be saying is, "It's 2014 and you're still worrying about how much RAM your AV uses? Why don't you just have 16GB like everyone else? You should be able to run five antivirus programs without even putting a dent in your RAM usage."

I'm using a 12 year old computer with 1GB RAM and my antivirus doesn't even put a dent into my non-existent RAM. I think TS should be fine.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by vilk
I'm just gonna say **** it and raw-dog my way through the internet from now on.

I recommend this. It makes the internet a much more pleasurable experience. Just be careful of the slutty websites that might have some funk going on down there that you don't want to catch.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!