Hey everyone,

I own an old Kramer Focus 3000 built in Japan sometime between '81 and '83. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboad, Original Floyd Rose, HSS configuration with a coil tap switch. It's a fantastic axe with only one real flaw: the bridge humbucker, which is absolutely awful.

Which leads me to my question. I've decided it's time to replace the humbucker. I think I would to stick with the vintage Kramer vibe and try to mimic Eddie's Frankenstrat's sound on Van Halen I (and their other early albums). My initial thought was to go with the EVH Frankenstein Humbucker that Fender is selling. From the demos I've heard, it sounds killer, and I was all ready to go buy it, when I realized that the pickup is not F-spaced (which I definitely would prefer because of the OFR). I'd rather not shell out the extra bucks for a new pickguard cut for an angled standard-spaced humbucker (since the EVH 'bucker is somewhat overpriced), so I thought I might look elsewhere for a pickup that would do the job.

So. What pickup would you recommend to approximate the VH1 sound? I would be using it with the Kramer Focus 3000 mentioned above and a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120.

Much appreciated!
maybe SD Custom Custom Trembucker version.

Seth Lover would probably be better that is not f-spaced or at least wider spaced.
Quote by Cathbard
You, my man, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Quote by Knarrenheino
You hold your guitar upwards from your lap like an erect phallus and tell me I have problems?
If I'm not mistaken, the Duncan Super 78 is the exact same thing as the Frank pickup.

On VH1 its suspected Ed *may* have used a DiMarzio Super Distortion to get more gain. But overall, you should go for something Alnico2 (unless you're thinking about said Super D).

As was also said, the Custom Custom is a great pickup for VH tone, if you google search "custom custom super 78" I think the thread will show up, its either Duncan's forums or TGP I think, but the thread has all the info you need regarding those pickups.

I'm an avid Van Halen fan myself and I search this shit all the time.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45
eddie used a PAF on 1st album. not sure how successful your amp can be getting brown sound. that sound is very much in the amp. the new fender/eddie is designed for his current tones and not so much for the old one.
59 HB for that 1st album raw tone. Eddie sounds like Eddie on pretty much every guitar with every pickup though.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I had a Duncan 78 put in my in my EVH Wolfgang, much better Brown sound. It helps with my David Bray Modded Amp)